OMGSH! What happened all of a sudden?

BeachMama86

So, my DD is 2 years old, RFing in an EFTA. She loves it in general. Jumps right in, starts blabbering about seatbelts and being safe and all that (CPST in training!). BUT, all of a sudden, she freaks out like no tomorrow. I mean, she RARELY freaks out like this. I try to put her in her seat, and she starts SCREAMING to the point where my ears pop, she twists and writhes and I can hardly get her strapped in. And god help me when we're trying to run errands! Granted, she is fine after the car gets going a minute, but I don't understand.

Well, I guess I KIND of do, lol. The problem I think is that she wants to sit in the front seat! She gets up there when we're not driving, and wants me to put the seat belt on her and she says "let's go broom broom". She'll even happily sit NEXT to her car seat, but not in it.

Ugh. It is SOOOO frustrating, cause it's also very embarassing in public cause people prolly think I'm beating my kid in my car or something, she screams that bad.

Ya, so what do I do? I do NOT want to turn her FF of course, but I have no idea why ALL OF A SUDDEN it's such a hug deal. I mean. she's always liked to play in the front seat, but she understood that "June rides in her car seat so she can be safe".

Where's that *bangs head on wall* icon when you need it?

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

It is a phase! Marcus went through the same thing. Still does on occasion. It will be worse once she is FF though. It is MUCH harder to get a fighting, screaming, writhing child into a FF seat than a RF seat, trust me! So while it is VERY annoying, it will pass. Big Hugs as I know what you're going through.

Also while IF you did decide to turn her, it might help for a bit, but it will more than likely not fix it long term. The newness of the FF will wear off. She will also be able to kick your seat & that is not fun either!

I actually had this happen to me on Sat as we were leaving my Nanny's b-day party. He wanted to go with my mother, but could not. I had to drag him kicking & sceaming through the parking lot & then force him into the car & his car seat. It was NO fun! I feel your pain!

Madeline410

Just throwing this out there.. DS's EFTA hurt his back really bad. The part of the cover that overlaps (where it velcros together in the back) was pressing on his back and leaving a huge red mark. Do you think it could be painful for her? I called Evenflo and they had awesome customer service. They have new covers that don't have the overlapping, so maybe they'll send you a new cover to try out. Otherwise, they sent me a check for the value of my seat so I could replace it. I LOVED that seat, but I can't have it hurting my son, kwim?

kandamom

Does she do that every time you get in the car?

My ds recently turned two, and he has done the same thing every now and then over the past few months. He's usually very easy going, so I don't know what gets into him at times. His latest thing is that he wants to ride in his brother's booster instead of his new radian. I'm pretty sure that he would like ff better, but I'm hoping this will pass, as well. But, like the pp said, I think in my case, the novelty of ff would wear off, and he would still want his brother's seat.

Kids are just so cute at this age, but it can be kind of hard to reason with them sometimes.;)

I hope she gets over it soon!

Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one dealing with this sort of thing.

Rebecca

BeachMama86

Thanks for all the advice/support ladies. Ugh. This really sucks! Today had the same problem, but she didn't quiet down, just got worse. When we got to the grocery store, which is about 1/2 a mile from our house, I flipped her seat JUST to see if that was the problem (really had no intention of leaving it that way other than for the 1/2 mile trip), but no, she still was the same. She kept pointing at the front seat saying she wants to sit there. Then when we get out of the car I have to carry her kicking and screaming cause she wants to sit in the front seat!

I let her play in the front seat, even put on the seatbelt, but she then wants me to drive.

I guess we'll just have to wait it out. I'm gonna try to bring stuff on the ride that can occupy her, but, i doubt it would work.

And I had JUST installed the seat in the car RFing, then reinstalled it FF, now I have to reinstall it again, lol. At least it's a fairly easy install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC