Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Backpack carrier

I am in search of a backpack carrier for my 33 lb. son. We need something that will fit into a suitcase (so small and light) and that will accomodate a bigger child. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Stephanie

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Backpack carrier

If you need it to fit in your suitcase, then you can't take a frame carrier. I don't have one, but have heard very good reviews of the Toddler Patapum. It is rated up to 65lbs. Not too expensive either. For reviews, you can go to The Babywearer and you can find it on several mom etailers as well to buy.

Good luck!

Senior Community Member Mama Jo's Avatar

DS is getting a patapum for his 1st birthday.

I mean... technically it's for him... lol
    Mama to
    DD - 9 yrs. - FN booster, Vivo
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

What about an Ergo? We have both a Kelty frame carrier & an Ergo. It's much more comfortable to carry either of the kids (32lb 3yo or 21lb 1yo) in the Ergo. The Ketly is nice when we go hiking if we need to carry more stuff, but the Ergo has a couple of pockets and we use a waterbottle holster on the belt portion.

We recently borrowed a 2nd one when we flew so we could carry both kids for hikes. And they fit in the suitcase with no problem.
    Ann

DD is 29 pounds, and the Ergo is still really comfy.

Thanks for the replies! We ended up with a frame backpack by p&t. http://www.babyearth.com/phil-teds-e...k-carrier.html
    We absolutely love it, gobs of cool features, and best of all it fit in our standard 28" suitcase! We never came across this pack online and only happened upon it at a local kids store. Rated up to 40lbs. and VERY COMFORTABLE!

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by widgetwick View Post
    Thanks for the replies! We ended up with a frame backpack by p&t. http://www.babyearth.com/phil-teds-e...k-carrier.html
    We absolutely love it, gobs of cool features, and best of all it fit in our standard 28" suitcase! We never came across this pack online and only happened upon it at a local kids store. Rated up to 40lbs. and VERY COMFORTABLE!
    awesome. i'm in the minority here, but i'm a fan of frame packs. i like that you can load them up with all sorts of other stuff and take them on long hikes. we had the evenflo snugli cross-country, and it served us well.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.