Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Almost 2 year old Loosening straps?

My 22 month old dd is rf in a Wizard. For a few weeks now I've noticed her straps slightly loose when I get her out. I was blaming it on me and her pushing her feet against the back seat when I tighten. Well, now I know she is lifting the flap and pulling the metal adjuster up and doing it herself. She has also taken to removing the entire cover off the sides. I tried safety pinning the flap down but the safety pin snapped open. Anyhow if she's pulling the whole cover off pinning the flap down does no good. Any thoughts/ideas? Since she's rf'ing it's harder to see what she's doing back there.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Almost 2 year old Loosening straps?

You can sew down the flap, or tape it down as well. As for the cover, I have no idea. But it's very normal for kids to do that in their Britax seats. In fact, Britax redid the covers with the flaps already sewn down to try to stop kids from doing this.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Quote Originally Posted by kbud View Post
    My 22 month old dd is rf in a Wizard. For a few weeks now I've noticed her straps slightly loose when I get her out. I was blaming it on me and her pushing her feet against the back seat when I tighten. Well, now I know she is lifting the flap and pulling the metal adjuster up and doing it herself. She has also taken to removing the entire cover off the sides. I tried safety pinning the flap down but the safety pin snapped open. Anyhow if she's pulling the whole cover off pinning the flap down does no good. Any thoughts/ideas? Since she's rf'ing it's harder to see what she's doing back there.

Thanks.
    My son also starting loosening the harness adjuster on his Boulevard. I called Britax, and they sent me a toddler training kit. It's a little piece of plastic and a strap that you put on the seat that prevents access to the harness adjuster. It just arrived in the mail, so I haven't put it on yet (I've been using a spare carseat for him for the time being so he can't loosen the straps), but it looks like a pretty straightforward process to attach it to the seat.
    DD (9 years old) & DS (6.5 years old)

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by bree View Post
    My son also starting loosening the harness adjuster on his Boulevard. I called Britax, and they sent me a toddler training kit. It's a little piece of plastic and a strap that you put on the seat that prevents access to the harness adjuster. It just arrived in the mail, so I haven't put it on yet (I've been using a spare carseat for him for the time being so he can't loosen the straps), but it looks like a pretty straightforward process to attach it to the seat.
    Oh, thanks. I'll give them a call and see if I can get one.