Question Hit & Run of a parked car & seat replacement

Heather98012

Hey...I can't remember how to determine if you need to replace your seat in this case. DH just called & told me someone hit his car in the parking lot at work. He thinks he knows exactly who did it...a cabulance that was dropping off someone in a wheelchair. He even saw the cabulance doing a 3 point turn to get out of the spot. His car is a large SUV & the damage is odd; he said "It looks like someone took a sword & stabbed it through the hood of my car." So, we're assuming the cabulance didn't lower the hydraulic lift & then backed into DH's ride.

So, the question is: Do I need to get DD's seat replaced? I didn't even think of it at first, but figured I better find out for sure before I start dealing with the insurance company (which will likely be ours, since it was a hit & run). TIA for any advice!

ADS

Pixels

What brand seat do you have? All of them except Britax say it must be replaced after any accident. Britax has criteria in order to determine if it needs to be replaced or not.

southpawboston

honestly, i wouldn't call this an accident in the sense of there not being any impact. the car was at rest, and a vehicle in a parking lot bumped it with a sharp object, causing a dent/gash/tear/ what have you. i would think your carseat could suffer a greater impact driving over a speed bump. i wouldn't replace the seat. it's not even like the impact caused the car to move out of its spot.

and it's moot point, since it's a britax, and the incident falls within britax's guidelines for keeping the seat.

Pixels

Britax's minor crash requirements:
Q. What should I do with my child seat that has been involved in a crash?
A. Britax recommends that the use of a child seat be discontinued if it has been in a severe crash. We further advise of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child seat after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

* The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
* The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
* There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
* The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
* There is no visible damage to the child seat.

Heather98012

Thanks for the cut & pasted info! I was 99% sure I didn't need to replace it, but figured I'd better check to make sure. I appreciate the info. Now, I just have to get the Sequoia repaired. Blech.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC