Older rear facing children in radians?

kandamom

I ordered a radian 65 for my 24-month-old son. I really wanted to love this seat, but I don't yet. I really don't like how reclined the seat is, and I don't think he does either. (I had read here that this might be an issue.) Do your older rf children get used to being so reclined? Do they mind it? Since he just turned two, he can't quite describe if he is uncomfortable, but he fusses more than he did in the marathon. There is just no way to get it more upright.

The radian seemed like the best 40 lb rear facing option for us, since he is really tall. (assuming I would stick with the arbitrary 40" & 45" limits on the dorel seat) My 7.5-year-old is 90th percentile for height and still has plenty of harness room in the radian. I'm sure I'll love the seat when ds2 is ff, since it will last so long. Now I just wish skjp would make an official announcement stating that the rf weight limit change is retroactive.

DS1 has a Monterey, and ds2 always wants to get out of his seat and ride in his brother's seat. (He never did this when he was in his MA, but he is now right at the 33 lb. rf limit for that one.) I'm sure he would love his radian if he were ff like his brother, but that would defeat the whole purpose of getting the radian in the first place. Maybe I'll consider that when he is closer to 3.

I'd love to hear about your older kids in their radians. Pictures would be great as well, if you have some that would be convenient to post.

Thanks,
Rebecca

ADS

shorty393

i dont have any pics, but my son loves his radian. he will be 3 in a little over 3 months and hasnt ever complained about it. i had him ff for almost 2 months at the beginning of the year and turned him back rf with no issues. i really love our radian, i hope it grows on you!

firemomof3

I have my 2y/o & 3y/o in Radians and they both love them. My 3y/o is picky, she loved her boulevard but she is too tall to rf in it. I tried her in the true fit but she didn't like it because when she tried to sleep she had to stretch her head way over to reach the side to rest her head. Both of them have lots of leg room and don't mind the recline. Here are some pics:
comparisonpics005.jpg

radian002.jpg

NannyMom

I don't have any pics because I'm not on my home computer right now. But my daughter will be 3 in sept and has no problem wit the Radian. Mine is very reclined as well. Have you tried the tips to get it installed more upright?

MANDY1234

Payton turned 3 in May and is RF in a Radian 80. If you go to my profile there are pictures of the girls there....

She loves it :) For some readon she was bothered by the recline of the MYRide but is fine in her Radian. IDK crazy kid lol Oh Pay will be the only child in pre-k refacing...then again my kids are the only on in anything. Most are just in a seatbelt not even a booster :(

pastrygirl

My son turned 3 last month, and had been FF since October. He had no problems RF again in the RN once we heard the news a couple of weeks ago. It's more reclined than I'd like, definitely much more than a RF MA in my car, but he doesn't seem to mind. :)

In fact, he tells me every day that he loves his "new" seat (it's not new, he used it for months FF). So cute!

christineka

Dd is 4.5 year old and has no problems rfing in the radian.
radianK1.jpg

Recently I turned ds' seat ffing just to see and let her ride in it. She loved it and I thought it was the ffing part. I turned it back rfing and dd still keeps asking to sit in ds' seat. She just likes the novelty of riding in a different seat.

Here's dd' in ds' seat back when she was 3.5 years. She had no leg room and yet a year later she wants to rf in this seat? (She's 1.5 pounds over the rfing weight anyway.)
ktribute.jpg

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
DD was RF in Radians until she hit the weight limit at 3y4mo (I have older 33lb Radians). She never complained about it and preferred the Radian to the Marathon (because she had more leg room and could also hang her legs over the sides).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper liked being reclined and often asked for a 45 degree angle well past her fourth birthday. But my backseat is so sloped that the Radian doesn't get to 45 degrees without help (putting a newborn in there is going to require a store's worth of noodles).

Here she is at five years and a week.

1024886238_c9321f8bf6.jpg

No complaints.

Wendy

AtTheSouthDam

This is very reclined, 43-45* and it is the most upright I can get it in my car. Ciara didn't care and actually adjusted to having fairly reclined quickly. She loved the extra leg room and had no problems leaning forward to see out the window. She fell asleep in the XT as often as the Como it was so comfy. If I could get a better install in my van I would put it back in ;)
0123008122.jpg

Pixels

Piper liked being reclined and often asked for a 45 degree angle well past her fourth birthday. But my backseat is so sloped that the Radian doesn't get to 45 degrees without help (putting a newborn in there is going to require a store's worth of noodles).

Wendy

Wendy, I'm sure you know this, but I want to say it anyway for the benefit of anyone who may be reading this who does not know. Pool noodles are not allowed with the Radian, period. You may tighten the rear facing tether to get the seat more reclined.

canadiangie

Wendy, I'm sure you know this, but I want to say it anyway for the benefit of anyone who may be reading this who does not know. Pool noodles are not allowed with the Radian, period. You may tighten the rear facing tether to get the seat more reclined.

I believe Wendy intends on using a TFP with her new baby, and that is when she'll need a store's worth of noodles.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I believe Wendy intends on using a TFP with her new baby, and that is when she'll need a store's worth of noodles.

Exactly. But any seat back there needs help. I wouldn't put a Radian in my backseat and call it ok for a newborn. I helped a parent with a Snugride and literally used five noodles to get a proper recline. It's just that bad.

My Radian is borrowed out, I can't remember where I last saw the foot, and I want a TFP anyway for the baby. And a store's worth of noodles.

Wendy

canadiangie

is this the Xterra that you speak of as being so extremely sloped?

I worked in one the other day, and had a horrible time with a Peg SIP base. (and let's just be honest, those Peg bases are not walk in the park to start with).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, the Xterra. The Peg base isn't necessarily the easiest, and in an Xterra I can see it being quite a challenge.

Wendy

kandamom

Thank you for sharing your stories! I loved all the cute kid pictures, too.:D I've tried all the suggestions I found on here, and the angle is still right around 45, using latch and tether. (It was closer to 50 when not tethered, but the dang thing bobbed up and down so much that I was worried it would bother ds2.) It's "rock solid" at the belt path, though. I'm not so good with rf seatbelt installs, but I wonder if I could get it more upright using the seat belt? Is it okay to use a locking clip so the seat doesn't twist, but still lock the seatbelt?

I need a more sloped seat... He still fusses more in this seat than he did in his marathon. I wonder if dh would mind if I sold our back-up seat (a regent) and put that money toward a complete air. I could then use the seat ds2 likes best in the primary car. I appreciate that DH was fully supportive of buying another seat to keep our two-year-old rf, so I'd don't really want to push my luck.:whistle:

Thanks again!

Rebecca

K - 7.5, 51.5", 57", Monterey
A - 24 months, 37.5", 32 lbs, rf in a Radian65

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC