Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

BMW X5 Infant Carrier/Infant Seat Position

Which would be better on a BMW X5? Using LATCH behind the passenger or driver seat, or using a belt in the center of the rear seat? I ask because there is some plastic that gets in the way in the center of the rear seat, and I was wondering if anyone has found a way around it. I know it is improper to use LATCH while placing infant carrier in the middle.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: BMW X5 Infant Carrier/Infant Seat Position

If you can get a center install with the belt, then that is, but if the plastic gets in the way then go outboard, either with LATCH or the seatbelt.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I guess what I should explain about the plastic is that it makes it so that there is more than 1" of movement with the base when it is as tight as it will go. As it is plastic on plastic, it gets slippery. Here is a picture of it. You can see in at the bottom left of the middle of the seat. I believe it aids in the folding of the seats.

Attachment 4773
    Last edited by rweintra; 07-20-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: To add picture of rear seat plastic

Carseat Crazy

Like the pp said, if you can't get a good install with the belt in the center, you should try one of the outboard positions. There's nothing magical about the center position if you can't get a good install! I'd be very concerned about more than 1" of movement.
    Ruthie, 3/29/07 - 63lbs, 49.5" FF Britax Frontier 90 harnessed and Diono Monterey HBB (ERF to 3y7mo)
    Zevi, 11/10/10 - 38lbs, 41" RF RXT and Peg Convertible, FF Frontier 90
    and a Safety 1st Go Hybrid, Bubble Bum, or RSTV for frequent travel

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Using a rolled towel to get the infant seat reclined instead of the built in foot usually will fix a plastic car seat on plastic part of car situation like that.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

And I know it's not an incompatible location. I've installed a True Fit rear facing there. But a vastly different seat than what you're trying.

Give the towel a try, see what happens.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785