Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

My seat belt doesn't click when undoing the buckle

I just noticed something strange on my new (2009) car yesterday. The front passenger seat belt makes an audible click when you buckle it, but not when you unbuckle it. It made me think I hadn't buckled it! Would you have it checked? Does it sound like something I need to look into ASAP? (Heavily pregnant with a preschooler in tow does not make for a happy excursion to the dealership...)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: My seat belt doesn't click when undoing the buckle

year make and model? this is always helpful with car questions .

do both front seatbelts do the same thing? if so, then i wouldn't worry. it's probably just the mechanism. but if the driver's side is silent and the passenger's clicks, then i'd have it checked out.

i think hearing the click upon insertion is confirmation that it's working. not hearing the click upon release is probably not indicative of anything.

just curious-- try pulling on the seatbelt as you disengage it. then does it click?
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Re: My seat belt doesn't click when undoing the buckle

Oops, sorry! 2009 Subaru Forester. The driver's side belt clicks when buckling and unbuckling. Will try tugging when unbuckling later -- uncooperative/needs-a-nap preschooler around right now...