Which Seat to use?? RF or FF??

Mommy2Marcus

Okay...so we're going on vacation mid-August. It is going to be around a 8.5-10 hour drive. I am trying to decide what seat to use & whether I should put him RF for the trip or leave him FF. We will be taking DH's car which has the TF in it FF. I was thinking I would like him to be RF for the trip as we plan to drive mostly at night, so I am thinking he will sleep better. However the TF does NOT really fit well RF in DH's car. So that seat is pretty much out for RF if we decide to take it.

However I know the Marathon DOES fit well RF in DH's car. However it only RF to 33lbs. Marcus is about 31.5lbs fully dressed with shoes right now. So...I am not sure if he would stay under the weight limit. I could leave his shoes off, but not sure how much that would help. Also would have to get the MA back from my MIL as it is in her car!

I could also try the EFTA RF in the center in DH's car. It RF to 35lbs, so I am quite sure he would still fit by weight & I know he fits by height. However I am not sure how it would fit. I am also not sure it will go between the 2 front seats RF as it is WIDE & I would need it to as I would want it to be a little more reclined so he would sleep better. Another problem is that I have no LC for the EFTA anymore as someone needed it. I worry about taking this seat for the chance if we go off with the people we're visiting JIC they do not have locking seatbelts.

SO......My options are:
Just leave him FF in the TF. However he has some head slump in the TF as it installs pretty upright. If I decide this, would it be okay to try for a more reclined FF install??

Use the MA RF if he is still under 33lbs when we leave. How close to 33lbs is to much? Or I could use it FF since he has very little head slump in it FF.

Try the EFTA & see how it fits RF. If it fits RF, then use it.

WWYD? Would you just leave him FF for the trip? I was thinking I might possibly turn him FF when we get there. However I might now either. So....would you put him RF for the trip if it were you? Which seat would you use?

Sorry for the puzzling & repeating, just trying to kind of think it out! Thanks for reading!

ADS

featherhead

I would probably do the EFTA rear-facing. You should be able to go buy a locking clip for a few dollars. I think the EFTA takes up less room rear-facing than the MA, so it should hopefully work.

ookpix

I always turn my kiddos around RF for trips as they seem to be happier that way... Both for sleeping, and MY kids beg less when they can't see me ;)

I would say go with the MA as u can get a better position both FF and RF (so u can switch if he does better one way or the other). It has built in lockoffs - great for a quick and easy install in any car. I would say he will probably stay under the weight limit. Also, (and this is IMHO) a 33.5lb kid isn't going to fly out of a 33lb limit seat. If it was THAT close, 33 wdnt pass the test well. Also most parents don't weigh their kids daily when they get close. There is no way he is gonna get enough too heavy to be dangerous in the time you are gone as long as he is still under 33 when you leave. (I personally would be comfortable even if he was barely under 33). That's my thought!

Splash

I'd leave him FF in the TF. He's most familiar with the seat and the direction. A long trip is not the time to randomly change something on the kid. Make it as reclined FF as you can, he should be fine. Charlie drove with me nearly 1000 miles over 5 days, in a SG Go. If he can handle that, Marcus can handle a TF.

skylinphoto

I'd try and get him rfing. Especially if you're driving at night and he'll be sleeping.
He'd just be more comfortable that way. He's used to laying down to sleep at night..not sitting up snoozing. Ya know?

Also, like the pper up there, MY ds is a backseat driver and a big time begger when he's ffing. lol. He also NEVER stops talking!!! hehe.

Mommy2Marcus

I'd leave him FF in the TF. He's most familiar with the seat and the direction. A long trip is not the time to randomly change something on the kid. Make it as reclined FF as you can, he should be fine. Charlie drove with me nearly 1000 miles over 5 days, in a SG Go. If he can handle that, Marcus can handle a TF.

He is used to riding RF as he rides RF in my car which is the car he is most of the time. The only reason I was thinking of turning him was for the night time drive. However I might not decide to play musical car seats, who knows!

My main reason is for sleeping & my sanity. He is a HUGE seat kicker & it drives my DH crazy. Then I have to listen to the nonstop "quit kicking my seat"! Not what I want to hear on a 8-10 hour drive!

Thanks Everyone for your thoughts. I was figuring that is what everyone would say, just wanted to confirm. I was also trying to puzzle it all out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC