Test drove the MDX!!!

steph

This SUV is awesome. It totally handles like a car yet is roomy like an SUV.

The salesmen had me speed up and then slam on the brakes to show me the Electronic Stability and man the car didn't move from side to side at all!!

The only bad thing about this car is that it is suppose to have premium gas, which with gas prices as they are could get pricey but other than that I love it. I'm gonna test drive the Lexus RX 350 and probably a couple other but the MDX is definately #1 right now!!!

Danielle (thefosters.2) - did you get one yet? :)

ADS

lovinwaves

That whole premium gas thing gets me too!! DH's Passat requires Premium also, and it drive me crazy!!! I always give him a hard time like saying, "oh so you think your car is more special." tee hee :D

skaterbabs

Don't get a car that only takes premium - trust me on this one. We had one and it was HORRIBLE. You never know what the future holds, and it just gets so expensive to put gas in the thing even when gas *isn't* sky high.

WESTMICHIGANLEO

My wife and I just bought an '07 Honda Pilot EX-L. The Pilot and the Acura are very similar vehicles, and I love the decision we made. The Pilot only requires Regular fuel though which was a nice selling point to us. We looked at several other vehicles (Sienna, MDX, XC90, Freestyle and Odyssey), but the Pilot was perfect for us and was exactly what she wanted.

I really think that you should at least go test out the Pilot. It drove very much like the MDX, and the price savings and the fuel savings are well worth it.

Hope this helps add to the confusion of picking out the perfect new car. LOL.

Morganthe

TBH, every vehicle I've ever had performed noticeably better with premium. Our 94 Dakota was horrible without it. In Germany on long road trips, Super plus made the difference between 500 kms per tank vs 690kms per tank in our Passat wagon for only a few cents more a gallon/litre.

This 6 cyl Camry says it will take the mid grade, but if I do, it hesitates, coughs, and the mileage is less, even in the city. It's not my imagination, I've done the math for the mileage and dense dh has commented when he's driven it not knowing I put in the lesser grade.

I figure 10cents more at the pump per gallon is only $1 per 10 gallons. I rarely need anything over 13 gallons. With better gas mileage, I use less gas. In fact, I fill up about once every 3 weeks even though I'm on the road daily. I"m centrally located in town. Everything is either less than 15 minutes away or a minimum 2 1/2 hour drive to another city. If there were sidewalks and decent public transportation, I'd be serious about riding it occasionally.

Unfortunately, gas prices ARE going up again. I filled up last Saturday morning at 2.18 a gallon. Right after I filled up, the station closed down to have the gas truck resupply. They had been out of everything EXCEPT super plus. When I drove by 2 hours later, the price was up at 2.25. Yesterday it was at 2.39!

It's too bad you can't pre-purchase gas via vouchers, coupons, or something :(

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Have you looked at the new Saturn Outlook? It's a cross over with all the safety features (StabiliTrak & all row curtain airbags). It has 3rd row seating and doesn't require premium gas. This is what I am looking at getting in 1 1/2yrs when my lease is up on my Tahoe. I love my Tahoe but wants something with better gas mileage.

lovinwaves

My mom has a Lexus SUV and it doesn't require Premium Gas BUT......

Did you guys know the new '06 Kia Sedona, and '07 Nissan Quest BOTH recommend PREMIUM FUEL!! :confused: :eek:

Also, my hubby had to ride in a new Honda PILOT yesterday while our ODY was getting some warranty work done, and he said WOW that thing was awesome. I am pretty partial to Toyota 4-Runners, but I think we will be looking at the PILOT once we are done with the Odyssey. He said it drove, and rode really nice. He says that coming from riding in my moms LExus a lot. So I was pretty impressed by that....And the price is right!

Last edited:

skaterbabs

I refuse to ever again buy a vehicle that REQUIRES premium. That should be a decision *I* make based on *my* needs at the time. I had a '91 Hyundai Excel that definately did not like regular gasoline, premium definately made it much happier. But I had the freedom to choose to use regular when I needed gas and could not afford premium. It's more than 10 cents a gallon difference often here, and when you're talking 15 gallons at a time, in a car that only gets 20mpg or less, it can really take a bite out of the budget.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Steph~ Isn't that car awesome! I told you you would want one after driving it!! :p We are actually going today to look at a silver on black one that we will buy if I like the silver, if I don't like the silver they are getting in a black on black on at the end of this month or the begining of January that I will put a deposit down on. I really wanted black/black but silver will be a lot easier to take care of...and since my hubby does the car washing I should take his thoughts into consideration. :cool:

lovinwaves

I really wanted black/black but silver will be a lot easier to take care of...and since my hubby does the car washing I should take his thoughts into consideration. :cool:

That's funny you say that, because it seems everyone in my family has black vehicles. It makes sense though because my parents own car washes. I am literally washing my Black Van everytime I leave the house. Yeah, black is a hard color to take care of, but boy does it look Sharp when it "is" clean. LOL! :D

steph

I prefer black on black too!!!! That is what our Pilot is (or black on dark grey interior) and what my civic was and DH Audi was. My Audi is Silver on black and it is alot easier to take care of!! I'm thinking white on black for this car (whatever it may be). I think I may look into the new Pilots - maybe they drive different than the 04 we have and DH doesn't mind if we have matching cars:p .

The price isn't what concerns me about the MDX it is the premium gas!!!!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Melissa~ Yeah I love a black car...when it is clean! But living in Oregon it rains way too much for it to be clean very often. Throw into the mix that my husband is anti-carwash and only hand washes our cars and you got a black car that will often be dirty! Haha! I was dead set on black, but then last night the internet sales manager told me there was no black/black in the area until the end of this month or begining of January. That's when I started to consider the silver. And then it hit me last night that now that I drop my daughter off at school in the "drop off lane" she will get out and shut the door with her hands all over the paint and so even when the black was clean it would always have hand prints all over that door. Silver is starting to sound better and it will be a lot easier.

lovinwaves

Melissa~ Yeah I love a black car...when it is clean! But living in Oregon it rains way too much for it to be clean very often. Throw into the mix that my husband is anti-carwash and only hand washes our cars and you got a black car that will often be dirty! Haha! I was dead set on black, but then last night the internet sales manager told me there was no black/black in the area until the end of this month or begining of January. That's when I started to consider the silver. And then it hit me last night that now that I drop my daughter off at school in the "drop off lane" she will get out and shut the door with her hands all over the paint and so even when the black was clean it would always have hand prints all over that door. Silver is starting to sound better and it will be a lot easier.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't own a black car in Oregon either even if I could wash it everyday. Silver is really pretty also.

Hey, just be sure you guys run your cars through an automatic wash every blue moon that has the "undercarriage" option. I have also seen people in the "self-serve" part of our carwashes have a ramp like contraption to put their cars on while they hand spray underneath their cars.:cool: The most important part of the car to keep clean is the undercarriage (or underneath of). I don't know if you guys get snow up there, but when they salt the roads all of those chemicals are not good on your car's undercarriage. It is important to get the chemicals off as soon as possible. Not all carwashes offer an undercarriage wash, so you would have to ask. Some are better than others also...;)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have owned a black on black Chevy Camaro Z28 that was beautiful when clean. We currently have a Midnight Navy on black GTO. Very beautiful car but it SUCKS during the summer. I live in HOT HOT HOT Texas so having a dark color vehicle with dark interior isn't the best choice. We don't drive the GTO everyday as it's our play vehicle.

ccjones

The price isn't what concerns me about the MDX it is the premium gas!!!!

I hear ya! Where I live, premium is anywhere from 50 -70 cents more expensive per gallon than regular gas (regular is about $2.27 and premium is $2.87 -$2.97). The sad part is that I had no clue what kind of gas the Pilot took until *after* I bought it. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it takes regular. DH's Acura TL needs premium, and you'd be surprised how expensive it is too fill it up, and it's only a sedan!

Steph - Now that you testdrove both the MDX and RDX, what can you tell us about the two? What are the main similarities and differences? About the only thing I know is the RDX seats 5 and the MDX seats 7.

steph

Steph - Now that you testdrove both the MDX and RDX, what can you tell us about the two? What are the main similarities and differences? About the only thing I know is the RDX seats 5 and the MDX seats 7.

Well, the RDX has a 4 cylinder engine with Turbo and you can hear the turbo part when you accelerate. The RDX is obviously smaller and to me the cargo space is way smaller (even smaller than the CRV - but that was just by sight, I didn't try my stroller in there or anything).

The RDX has 5 LATCH spots in the back where as the MDX has 6 (and according to the salesman he said you could use all 6 at the same time - whether or not that is true is dependent on his knowledge of LATCH :p ).

As you stated the MDX has the capability of seating 7. I actually felt lower to the ground and more like I was in a Sedan in the MDX than the RDX (ironic since the MDX is larger). Both drove nice, I just favored the MDX for the sedan type feel!!

Bottom line is the RDX would be great for a 1 baby/child family but I think having 2 or more would be hard...not so much in the backseat but the cargo space just didn't seem double stroller friendly!!!!

I'm going to test drive the new 07 Pilot just to see if it has changed from DH's04 - you just can't beat the price and the good gas mileage that the Pilot offers...I just wish it drove like the MDX!!!!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Well we bought the silver/black MDX last night and it is awesome!!!! OMG I love this car! I told my husband it is a cross between the 5 series I want and my minivan. It honestly feels like a sports car yet can haul all my kids and strollers. It has 3 full LATCH sets in the middle row and you can use them all at the same time! On the way home I put our PP primo viaggio SIP in the center with LATCH, my sons (ff)DC behind the driver with LATCH, and my daughters Regent behind the passenger with the seatbelt. And they all fit! But it was too hard to get the PP out of the center with both seats on the side so last night in the warmth of our garage I re-arranged. Right now I have the Regent behind the driver, a BV (ff) center, and the PP SIP behind the passenger. They are all in with the seatbelt though because the way LATCH is set up it wouldn't work. Oh and with the BV center using LATCH the Regent wouldn't fit behind the passenger seat. I think I am going to re-rearrange again today though because it looks like my 2 year old will be kicking the rear heat controls being in the middle. I still can't believe I can fit all 3 across with a Regent in the mix!
If anyone is considering buying one I am more then willing to answer any questions I can.

lovinwaves

Well we bought the silver/black MDX last night and it is awesome!!!! OMG I love this car! I told my husband it is a cross between the 5 series I want and my minivan. It honestly feels like a sports car yet can haul all my kids and strollers. It has 3 full LATCH sets in the middle row and you can use them all at the same time! On the way home I put our PP primo viaggio SIP in the center with LATCH, my sons (ff)DC behind the driver with LATCH, and my daughters Regent behind the passenger with the seatbelt. And they all fit! But it was too hard to get the PP out of the center with both seats on the side so last night in the warmth of our garage I re-arranged. Right now I have the Regent behind the driver, a BV (ff) center, and the PP SIP behind the passenger. They are all in with the seatbelt though because the way LATCH is set up it wouldn't work. Oh and with the BV center using LATCH the Regent wouldn't fit behind the passenger seat. I think I am going to re-rearrange again today though because it looks like my 2 year old will be kicking the rear heat controls being in the middle. I still can't believe I can fit all 3 across with a Regent in the mix!
If anyone is considering buying one I am more then willing to answer any questions I can.

That's awesome!! Congrats on the new edition to your family!! :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC