Test drove the MDX!!!

steph

Danielle-

I'm so jealous!!! DH and I are hesitant because of the gas thing so I went a drove the 07 Pilot - it actually drives alot nicer than our 04! However, I still prefer the MDX. I like the 3 sets of LATCH that it has and the way it drives.

Can I ask how much you paid for it? If not I understand, it is a personal question. I'm just wondering if we can get a good deal or if they are pretty firm on their prices. A couple 06 MDX are available, I wonder if they have 3 sets of LATCH too? Anyway, congrats again!!!!

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Danielle-

I'm so jealous!!! DH and I are hesitant because of the gas thing so I went a drove the 07 Pilot - it actually drives alot nicer than our 04! However, I still prefer the MDX. I like the 3 sets of LATCH that it has and the way it drives.

Can I ask how much you paid for it? If not I understand, it is a personal question. I'm just wondering if we can get a good deal or if they are pretty firm on their prices. A couple 06 MDX are available, I wonder if they have 3 sets of LATCH too? Anyway, congrats again!!!!

Steph~ The gas thing didn't really bother me because I only fill up about once a week on average. Here premium is $0.20 more per gallon then regular so with a 21 gallon tank that is only $4.20 more a week than if I were filling up with regular gas. We used to have a Saab that needed premium and our passat needed premium, and those were two of the funnest cars to drive so I figure it's worth it! :D
We are in Portland, Oregon where I believe better deals are to be found on the MDX then in other areas. We got the model with the technology and entertainment packages and the sticker on it was around $47,000 (I think I can check later for sure) and we got the NW package (cargo liner, wheel locks, all weather mats) and the sport running boards added on which added another $1000. The final price we paid with all those options was $44,665. But when I was price shopping on it I found that all the dealers in Seattle were not going down from MSRP a few of them even wanted $500 above MSRP. So it depends on the market in your area. The best way to find out what you will be paying is to e-mail all the Acura dealers in your area and have all of them send you an internet price quote. You get the best deal this way. We did all the negotiating via e-mail and once we got to the dealership there was not more negotiating to be done which made it nice and painless. HTH! Let me know if you need any more info or have any other questions.

steph

Thanks, I just started emailing some of the dealers so we will see:D

I drove the new 07 Pilot and it drives alot better than the 04 we have (but it isn't the MDX!), so if we can't get a good deal on a MDX we will probably look into another Pilot (we will have his and hers:p ).

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Thanks, I just started emailing some of the dealers so we will see:D

I drove the new 07 Pilot and it drives alot better than the 04 we have (but it isn't the MDX!), so if we can't get a good deal on a MDX we will probably look into another Pilot (we will have his and hers:p ).

You are very welcome! And good luck getting the deal you want because that car is great! The Pilots are also nice cars and very cute so either way you win! And at least having the same car you don't have to worry about "learning" your husbands car everytime you drive it and vice versa.

lovinwaves

That is not true at all. I just bought a 07 Nissan Quest

from Nissan Quest site..... http://www.nissanusa.com/quest/specifications.html
under fuel economy

It IS very true.... This is right out of your '07 Nissan Quest Owner's manual....

Nissan Recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at LEAST 91 number. If unleaded premium gasoline is not available you may use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane of at least 87 number, BUT you may notice a decrease in performance

Last edited:

Amaris

I'm paying $2.49 for regular gas here:eek: :confused: There's almost no way I could afford premium!! We tried it in our odyssey for a month and didn't really notice a difference, even on road trips. We got pretty much the same mileage.

DustysSweety

Crud.. i can't believe they are giving such contradicting information...

from the site i linked it says this..
Use regular unleaded fuel with 87 octane. For maximum power, use premium fuel.

Yes you are correct lovinwaves i just ran out and checked the manual in the van and it does say they recommend premium fuel.

Wonder why they say use premium in one place and it the other they say to use regular fuel.:confused:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
We have had our MDX for almost 3 months now and have run premium gas at each fill up. I don't notice the price difference...really what is $.10-.15 more per gallon? With a 21 gallon tank that is only $3.15 more per fill up and I am more then willing to pay that for my driving pleasure.:D Yes over the years that can add up but I would never base what type of car I buy on wether or not it required premium fuel.

southpawboston

the way i see it, IMHO if you can justify and afford a $40k+ vehicle, then added fuel costs are negligable; for those who are on more restricted budgets, the difference between regular and premium can be a significant consideration. $15/month * 12 months = $175. that's like a brand new carseat every year.

trailrunnermom

I had an MDX from May '04 to January '07. I found some info. on whether the premium was *really* required ... one article was in the Wall Street Journal's auto column, which I trust, and said it's a very slight performance boost to use premium over regular, but it won't hurt the car to use regular. I used regular from Jan. 2005 on. I'd copy and paste the article here, but they charge $2.95 for archived articles--even for subscribers--now there's something I could rant about! :)

Unfortunately, my MDX was totalled in an accident in January. It really took a hit (on the side), but it took it well--it absorbed all the impact, and I was hardly hurt (just a little muscle soreness). Fortunately, the kids were NOT with me that day. Good thing to come out of it is that I've become more up-to-date in my carseat education thanks to this forum! We replaced the MDX with an Odyssey because we needed the minivan seating, but I miss the MDX. :(

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am not sure about the first generation MDX but the second generation (2007+) requires premium fuel.
The 2001.5 VW Passat I had (4cyl turbo) ran horrible on regular fuel. Not only was the performance affected but the gas mileage was also a lot worse when we ran regular versus premium.

Southpaw~ I totally agree. When a person can afford a $40,000-$50,000 car running supreme probably doesn’t affect them that much financially. Where as a person who is spending $15,000 probably is budget conscious enough to not want to pay the extra $200 a year for supreme fuel. That is what I figure Acura (and other manufacturers who require premium fuel these days) was thinking when they engineered the MDX that way.

twokidstwodogs

the way i see it, IMHO if you can justify and afford a $40k+ vehicle, then added fuel costs are negligable; for those who are on more restricted budgets, the difference between regular and premium can be a significant consideration. $15/month * 12 months = $175. that's like a brand new carseat every year.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

lovinwaves

Crud.. i can't believe they are giving such contradicting information...

from the site i linked it says this..

Yes you are correct lovinwaves i just ran out and checked the manual in the van and it does say they recommend premium fuel.

Wonder why they say use premium in one place and it the other they say to use regular fuel.:confused:

Yeah, that's a bummer. I had always heard, and read that they recommended Premium Fuel. What I would do personally is try both fuels for a week and see if you notice a difference. :)

anysia

We have had our MDX for almost 3 months now and have run premium gas at each fill up. I don't notice the price difference...really what is $.10-.15 more per gallon? With a 21 gallon tank that is only $3.15 more per fill up and I am more then willing to pay that for my driving pleasure.:D Yes over the years that can add up but I would never base what type of car I buy on wether or not it required premium fuel.

i agree entirely!

if you are basing a car purchase on the difference in cost of premium fuel versus regular (which is a negligible difference), you probably need to rethink your vehicle budget... ;)

alot of entry level vehicles will try to appeal to customers by saying they can use regular fuel. you can find a similar vehicle and engine in a luxury level car and it will say it needs premium fuel. ie the v6 honda accords only "need" regular, but it's "sister" car, the acura tl, need premium fuel. guess which fuel both cars run best on? premium. it's all in marketing to the prime market for each vehicle. and alot of average consumers will not notice the difference between using the two fuels (pinging in engines, subtle mileage changes, etc....) i'm pretty sure you'd run into the same comparisons between the sister vehicle of the acura mdx and the honda pilot. either way, i wouldn't determine which vehicle to get solely on the recommended gas. that shouldn't affect your budget enough to even blink at! ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC