Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Mumoflittleguys's Avatar

Sienna or Odyssey?

I have kids in higher weight limit seats, and at some point I anticipate having 3 kids in Regents.

I'm not sure I understand the top tether limits thing correctly. Does it mean that when my child hits a certain weight, I can no longer use the tether anchor in the vehicle?

If that's the case, does the Sienna or the Odyssey have the higher limit?

I am having an awful case of placenta brain, and I'm not even sure that question was coherent, but any possible answer is appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Sienna or Odyssey?

The top tether has the same limit as the LATCH. However, it's parental choice to use it, especially as the Regent requires the top tether above 50 pounds. It's not as important as the lower anchors, though. It's just there to reduce head excursion. And when and if it fails it will have already done its job. Whereas if the lower anchors fail it's very bad.

Darren has some links about this, I think.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

Re: Sienna or Odyssey?

If it's possible to fit three regents across in either of those cars, I doubt it but it may be, you could use the seatbelts on the back bench to tether, too. It would render them otherwise useless, but your kids will be safe.

I'm assuming you only have the three, btw.