• Graco Nautilus

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Marathon

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Radian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scoutingbear

We have been invited to go for a week to Montana (3 days driving there and we will take 2 days driving back) and it looks like the trip might actually work out! It will be my 2 boys, me, my aunt, and my 11 year old cousin. We will be renting (most likely) a minivan for the trip to fit all the people and a Golden Retriever in it along with all of our luggage.

Anyway...debating on which seats to bring for the boys. Here is a rundown of the seats and pros/cons for each.

MA: Both kids can use it at the same slot (top). A looks squished, but says he isn't. It is the ONLY seat that C doesn't have head slump when he sleeps. It sits so high there isn't a place to store a water bottle. It is the platinum cover which does get hot in the sun. C sweats A LOT in this seat. It has a nice padded seat. No cup holders and it sits too high to use ones in a car (usually) or to reach toys out of the buckle in toy caddy we have. C was really kicking the front seat today when sitting in this one...leg support issue? Can make a footrest from pool noodle before trip though.

Radian: Don't know what car we are taking yet so don't know about any install issues. It is currently C's favorite seat but he has yet to fall asleep successfully in it due to the wide shoulder area. It would take a bit more trouble to switch out the harness for the boys due to safe stop; but without it they can use the same harness height...at least they measure the same at the beginning of a trip. Seems like it has a cushy seat and C likes being able to change leg positions in it. It is low enough to reach any (potential) cup holders/toy caddy in the car. A can sleep well in this seat (although he hardly ever sleeps in the car).

GN (we have 4 so they both could potentially ride in a GN): cupholders and cubbies. C has horrible head slump, A does not (watched him sleep all the way home from the beach today :) ). Seems like it doesn't have as much padding in the butt. Neither kid has ever complained about it, but it is neither of their top choices when I asked them recently what seats they wanted in my car. It is low enough they can reach the toy caddy. I have plenty of changes of cover if needed.

Chase: C is the only one that can use it. He has horrible head slump in it (the worst of all the seats). Not much padding. Okay...not picking this one! (But he does love to chew on the harness adjuster :confused:

Turbo: NOT A CHANCE will I let A ride in a booster for 3 days of driving! :D

So, give me ideas of what seats YOU would use if it were your kids. I would ask them, but their minds would change frequently, they would fight over the seats they did pick...I'm not opposed to changing harnesses every few rest stops or every day or whatever (provided it is easy installs) and I'm thinking they might be in different rows of the car ;)

ADS

rachandsoph

I have a MA and GN. We bought the second MA to replace the GN as the GN was so uncomforatable on long(3hrs) drives for my my 3yr old...she would complain bitterly about that seat!
I voted MA, but I don't have a RN...just my:twocents:

Maedze

I would go with the Nauti, because creature comforts like the cupholder and the cubbies are important on long trips :p It also installs well pretty much everywhere.

If they don't complain about the head slump, don't worry about it, or give them travel neck pillows (12 dollars from Target)

Why is it important for them to be able to ride in both seats? I've never had my kids swap...they've always ridden in *their* seats without issue.

Word to the wise: bring that Turbobooster with you. That way you have options in case someone pees or pukes.

scoutingbear

It isn't necessarily an issue of them HAVING to ride in both seats. But I know when I was a kid I liked to move to different spots in the car. Esp since one will be in the 3rd row and one in the second row. I won't advertise changing seats, but if they ask, want to be able to allow the option.

myliljunebugs

Can your Radian rear face to 40lbs? I am wondering if the 3 year old might be more comfy rear facing (and maybe have a forward facing seat by it for switchability if you like) and that would take away the head slump issue. :)

scoutingbear

My 3 y/o would LOVE to RF (we fought daily to get him out of the RF seats when i was doing respite for another foster family a few months ago). But I have a 33lb Radian :( (and a 33 lb MA) so he has been FF since he hit 33lbs at 25 months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC