Recline on the SafeSeat1--too LITTLE recline for newborn?

heyruthie

So, I've been using the Graco Safe Seat for DD2, who was born last week, and when using the blue indicator (I know, I know, it's not magic, and it's usually TOO much recline for older kids) she seems to bee TOO upright. Is this possible? I though you could basically use it AT the indicator level, or LESS reclined as the kid got older. But I don't remember reading anywhere about using the SS1 MORE reclined. But DD2's head hangs forward and she just seems too upright when it's at the indicator. Is this possible? Sorry, no pics of it installed, but she's on the small side, so maybe that's the problem. Here she is in the SS1. I have a rolled washcloth at the buckle. Also, please note: the straps are not above her shoulders in the way they look in the picture. the cover has some black on the fabric that makes it look like they are WAY above her should,er, but they are not. I think they are at, or just a SMIDGE abover her shoulders.

YouSureThisistheRightSize.jpg

ADS

NannyMom

The blue indicator actually gives you a range of 'ok'. Try adding more angle to the seat (using the foot) and see if you still see all blue. And of course, make sure you're parked on a flat surface ;)

And she is adorable btw :)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My two sisters are both using SS1s right now, and the indicator placement is quite different between them. Even when they're sitting on the floor next to each other they indicate different degrees of level. *I* would say my nephew's seat is too upright when the indicator is correct, but my niece's seat is just fine. :shrug-shoulders:

Just to say *I* believe the indicators can be off. :twocents:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was taught in my class to trust the level indicators, but I still don't. Gotta tell you, I've seen some blatantly wrong ones. I put an infant seat in with some expectant parents just last night and if we had gone by the level indicator, the baby would have been between 35 and 25 degrees from vertical! (This wasn't a Graco though.) I told them flat out, "Don't trust this indicator" and we got it at 45 degrees, which it said was overreclined. Yeah.

I think the Keyfit indicator with the bubble is the only one I've never seen be wrong.

Mommy0608

Congrats on the new little one! :)

My SS1 indicator is off, too. I don't go by that. It puts Tyler too upright. I have a friend with the same problem.

NannyMom

SS1 indicators can be off. Someone I work with uses a level in the back of the seat (where the child's back would be) and sometimes she has to play quite awhile to get the 45* of the level (because we want 45* for a newborn) and still have it be *all* blue (because we are taught to trust the seat's indicators).

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The best angle indicator is your baby. If her head is falling forward, she needs more recline. Even if it is over-reclined slightly, that is a lesser risk than airway obstruction.

heyruthie

The best angle indicator is your baby. If her head is falling forward, she needs more recline. Even if it is over-reclined slightly, that is a lesser risk than airway obstruction.

OK--this is how I've been feeling. I was just feeling *sick* about my 6-7 pound newborn in there trying to keep her head from falling forward. Even in her first ride home from the hosptial, I made the parental decision to "over recline" it (according to the level) and it looks SOOOOOO much better. But I just wanted confirmation from y'all that I made an OK choice to "over recline" her, instead of driving her around that way. She's so small the chest clip is practically at her neck (not quite, but almost!) so if her head falls forward, she is definitely in danger of airway obstruction!

Thanks for making me feel better. I'll trust my brain/eyeballs over the indicator, if it looks wrong. :thumbsup:

Mommy0608

Feel free to post a picture if you'd like us to check it out. :) I'm sure you probably have it at a proper angle, but just thought I'd mention this if you'd like some reassurance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC