What I saw at preschool field trip

niccig

A lot of Marathons for 4 year olds, yay! A few boosters too. I had DS in a RSTV center, another child in my Safeguard Go and one in a parkway. He told me it was his sister's seat. His 4 and about 40lbs, so I let him use it in my car, but I locked the seatbelt on him. I checked and he was sitting properly - no choice because of the seatbelt ;)

What I didn't like were parents who had boosters for older children using that instead of the harnessed MA that the child had brought. I specifically asked the asst-director if we could put a child in a seat that the parent did not provide. She knows this child's mother and said it was fine. I would have been PO'ed if they had changed the seat I had left for DS.

One of the teachers had a Cheverolet SUV - no sure what model, but she had a seat in the cargo area that faces backwards. They put 2 children in boosters there. I'm not sure if that's allowed or if the backwards seat was aftermarket or a Chevy endorsed product. I know some Volvos have seats like that.

DS finishes at this preschool next month, and our new school do a lot of field trips. I'm going to drive DS and if I can't, I'll be very specific about what car and what seat he can ride in...he'll have our GO, so I'll insist on installing it myself as it's not like a normal seat. I'll have to see what his new school is like with car seats on field trips.

ADS

Nena2007

Yeah, that would make me mad too! Especially knowing it could have been the teacher telling someone that they knew you and it would be ok. YIKES!

I don't know where I would go from there, but maybe if you know the mom mention it to her? I would want to know if that were me, but I wouldn't want to start drama!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, and I don't think Chevy has anything like that, it was probably one of those Little Passenger Seats (I'm too lazy to google it, lol).

Good to hear that the seat situation wasn't too bad, I think people are catching on (compared to the expired shield boosters and FP T-shields and straps in lower-unreinforced slots and harnesses still in a seat used in booster mode nightmare junk I used to deal with 6 years ago at my kids' school).

NannyMom

If you know the child's Mom, I'd deffinetly say something. I know I would want to know if my seat wasn't used. But.... I'd also be installing my seat, not leaving it for someone else.

niccig

But.... I'd also be installing my seat, not leaving it for someone else.

I was surprised that seats were just left. But I know that not everyone is as concerned about car seats as we are here. It's times like this I wish I was a CPST so I have backing for what I say re. car seats.

DS's new school seems to take field trips seriously - part of our school registration is to give details of your car and your auto insurance. They will only allow parents to drive if the auto insurance has certain liability and covers non-related passengers. I can hope that they take car seats seriously - they did include CA law of 6 or 60 lbs in the field trip information. I volunteered to be the Field Trip Coordinator for his class. If I don't get that, I will volunteer to drive him all the time. If he was heavier enough for a booster, I would consider that in Dec when he is 5, but I don't think he'll get to 40lbs until 6 yo - so I'll just have to make sure I can go on field trips or at the very least install our own seat.

canmom

It's times like this I wish I was a CPST so I have backing for what I say re. car seats..

Sorry, had to chuckle... by all means take the course but don't think people will take your advice etc much better than now ;). Instead of being a crazy car seat nut... I'm now a crazy car seat tech... no difference to most people.

NannyMom

I was surprised that seats were just left. But I know that not everyone is as concerned about car seats as we are here. It's times like this I wish I was a CPST so I have backing for what I say re. car seats.

DS's new school seems to take field trips seriously - part of our school registration is to give details of your car and your auto insurance. They will only allow parents to drive if the auto insurance has certain liability and covers non-related passengers. I can hope that they take car seats seriously - they did include CA law of 6 or 60 lbs in the field trip information. I volunteered to be the Field Trip Coordinator for his class. If I don't get that, I will volunteer to drive him all the time. If he was heavier enough for a booster, I would consider that in Dec when he is 5, but I don't think he'll get to 40lbs until 6 yo - so I'll just have to make sure I can go on field trips or at the very least install our own seat.

Sorry, had to chuckle... by all means take the course but don't think people will take your advice etc much better than now ;). Instead of being a crazy car seat nut... I'm now a crazy car seat tech... no difference to most people.

Sofi's preschool seems to have a good head about field trips. When we went on the tour I'd asked about field trips. And I mentioned I was a tech. The 3s and 4s are all driven by their parent, or the parent must arrange for another parent to take their child. And they were very excited to hear I am a tech..... and are even considering a seat check as a fund raiser.

I have found that those that *want* to know listen more now that I'm a tech. But those that don't care it doesn't make a difference :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC