More ?'s about DS's new TFP- adjuster, lock-offs

babygirlsmom1005

Thanks for the news. How strange that the manual never mentions a 22lbs limit RFing. Did the writer(s) assume everyone turns their child at 22 lbs? I'm glad the insert can be used for more harness slots though.

I would love it if the TFP went to 40 lbs, but if they changed the limit and didn't make it retroactive I would be so bummed out.

I think I would sell this one to fund another one LOL

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Murphydog, is the wording quoted below the wording in the manual? Because that totally does NOT prohibit use after position 1, to me. Is there more in the manual besides this? What do the warning labels on the insert itself say? To me, the quote below just bounds in the useful life, aka "must use to this point, can't use after that point, but anything in between is fair game". Hope LC gets back to you soon!

Yes, it's written as babygirlsmom1005 wrote with an underline on the word "only." I think it could be interpreted either way.

My contact hasn't responded yet, but I will let you know as soon as she does.

mommycat

Yes, it's written as babygirlsmom1005 wrote with an underline on the word "only." I think it could be interpreted either way.

My contact hasn't responded yet, but I will let you know as soon as she does.
Adding an underline under the "only" does make it more ambiguous in my mind... I still think it's just a case of bad manual writing, especially in light of babygirlsmom1005's info from her LC phone call. Hope you hear back soon.

InternationalMama

Adding an underline under the "only" does make it more ambiguous in my mind...

I don't know. Back when I was using an infant seat for DS I was using the infant padding for much longer than was either necessary or comfortable for him because I was confused about when it was okay to stop using it. Maybe it's for people like me that they underlined the only, to let us know that it it's not -necessary- for any other reason than to reach the bottom slots. But that wouldn't mean it couldn't be used later.

I still think if it really could only be used for the bottom slots it would be a wide open invitation for misuse to include the other harness slots in the padding. That plus the ambiguous wording plus the info Babygirlsmom got plus the fact that I hear the recommendation to keep using the padding on here a lot from techs makes me pretty confident you can still use the padding after slots 1.

But still looking forward to hearing back from your contact, Heather!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
OK I just got off the phone with Kathy at Learning Curve (had to call to confirm a e-mail addy, but since I had her on the phone....)

The Insert: Their Car Seat Tech there said it's only needed until baby is 8 lbs or above the lowest slots, BUT can be used until the baby is 22 lbs and cannot be used FF'ing. So it can be used in all 3 positions RF'ing as long as baby is less than 22 lbs. (which is nowhere in the manual other than do not use for FF'ing)

I also asked if they maybe testing this seat to 40 lbs (wouldn't that make this the ultimate carseat?) and she said at this time she doesn't know of any testing that would happen, but she will get back with me about that when she answers my e-mail.

OK, between my contact (who's not Kathy ;) ) being unavailable to get back to me and me being out-of-town at the last minute for several days, it's taken some time to get this answer, but whew! here it is.

She says that the height insert can be used until 22 lbs. and in both rear-facing positions. So, since there are 3 rear-facing positions, and since the CSR that babygirlsmom1005 spoke with said 3 rf positions, I'm gonna go with that one. :thumbsup: Yay!

InternationalMama

She says that the height insert can be used until 22 lbs. and in both rear-facing positions. So, since there are 3 rear-facing positions, and since the CSR that babygirlsmom1005 spoke with said 3 rf positions, I'm gonna go with that one. :thumbsup: Yay!

Thanks for coming back to update about this, Heather. I bet she didn't mention the 3rd slot because I just can't see any child under 22 lbs reaching the 3rd slot! :)

I came back and hunted down this thread because I wanted to update that my DS reaches the second slot with his 12 inch torso! Yay!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC