ford excursion middle seat elr

U

Unregistered

The middle row, middle seat of my 2006 Ford excursion is an ELR. It does not seem to lock or even tighten unless you suddenly pull it fast and hard. Is there a way to install a Saftey First in that seat? Is there a manual replacement belt? If so where could I get it? (Dealership can not get them.) Do I have to buy a new car?

Annie
Mom to Carter 1yr and Kalvin 2.5yr

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
You'll need a belt shortening clip. They look a lot like a locking clip, but you CAN NOT use a locking clip in place of one. Call the dealer and ask for one- they should have them- then find yourself a tech to show you how to use it. It's really not hard, but there aren't many "lay" people familiar with how to use them.

jess71903

Ambassador
I just re-read and saw that it's an '06. I was assuming it was a lap belt only, but now I doubt that with a vehicle that new. If it's a lap and shoulder belt, you just need a locking clip, which should come with the seat, or you can pick one up at somwhere like Toys R Us. It may also lock at the latchplate, which would be really easy to work with.

Maedze

All belts of that era are required to be ALR belts. Have you seen a technician? While I'm not sure if the belt has a lightweight locking latchplate or if it locks at the retractor, it does lock in some way and you should not need a locking clip.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
An '06 Ford would likely lock at the retractor. Route the seatbelt through the car seat, then pull the belt ALL the way out SLOWLY (i.e., don't yank). When it reaches the end, let it retract back slowly. You should hear a ratcheting sound and shouldn't be able to pull it out anymore.

If that doesn't work, take the car seat out and just buckle the belt. Pull straight up on the lap portion. If it doesn't slide, the belt locks at the latchplate.

If neither of those work, call the dealership, because you've got a dud belt.

Replacing the belt will be much cheaper than getting a new car. ;)

TXAggieTech

I have the same vehicle. If you pull it out smoothly all the way it will switch to locked. Ours is finicky and locks elr if jerked.

Hint- if you recline the bench, install the seat & the put the back upright again it is easy to get the seat super tight.

jess71903

Ambassador
I feel like an idiot:eek:. I know all of that. So, this makes me wonder what constitutes a "heavy duty" truck. I know the Excursion is a people-hauler, but it's a big vehicle. Aren't 'work trucks' excluded from having to have locking seat belts (I know the Excursion does, just curious)?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC