Question about airplane travel with 6.5 and 4.5 year olds

mommie2m&r

I am planning a plane trip with my two children DS is 6.5 years old and rides in my car in a Britax Parkway; DD is 4.5 years old and rides in my car in a Britax Frontier in harness mode. I'm wondering what would be the best options for them on the plane. I know the Parkway is not FAA certified, is there a seat that is? Is DS alright just using the plane seatbelt? This is the first plane trip we have taken with them so I'm just not sure what is the safest way for them to travel. Whatever we do on the plane we are planning on bringing their seats with us to use on the other end. Help!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No booster seats are FAA certified, because they don't work without a shoulder belt. There are harnessed seats that are (in fact almost all harnessed seats are, the only two I can think of that aren't are the SafeGuard GO and the Britax Regent, because they require top tether use.)

However, a 6.5 year old should be fine in a lap belt. I do suggest possibly getting a booster that either folds (like the Compass boosters) or comes apart to a back and backless (like the Graco TurboBooster), so that you can carry the booster on to the plane (or in the case of one that comes apart, pack the back in your suitcase, well padded with clothing, and carry on the bottom) so that you will not subject it to gate checking or unprotected/unpadded checking of any kind, and even if your suitcases get lost you have something for her to use at your destination. You should try out any booster for fit before leaving, of course.

You might also consider a smaller seat for your son, if you have the budget for it, just to have more room in your row. The Ride Safer Travel Vest, SafeGuard GO, Radian, or Safety 1st Avenue are good options depending on his weight and seated torso height. (Weight and torso height would help a lot in narrowing down recommendations!)

mommie2m&r

Thanks for the suggestions.

My daughter is the 4.5 year old she is 43 lbs and her torso height measurement is 15 inches. I'm willing to spend some money to get whatever we need so that both children will be safe but given that we don't travel by air very often, I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC