Links/study help please!!

Mommy0608

A friend wants info on hip/knee/leg strain or injury statistics for extended rear-facing. She turned her kids FF WAAAY early, and I know she won't turn them back RF. She commented on my facebook link about the Complete Air seat wondering about possible leg or hip injuries. I think she means while RIDING this way, rather than crash injuries, but info on BOTH would be very helpful! I need to convince her it's fine. She kind of rolls her eyes about me keeping my kids RF. :rolleyes:

ADS

Andie

Here is a study that says that FF kids have more broken legs.

Here is a very large (pdf) study from a few different countries that says that RF is safest.

That's all I have at the moment.

Mommy0608

Thanks! I have lots of info about RF being safest and those studies, but from what I can tell none of them have any hard data proving that there is no increased risk of leg/hip strain or injury from sitting RF... none of them say there IS an increased risk either, of course (because there isn't). However, my friend wants studies that address the concern of sitting that way, not about the crash injuries. :(

I will go check out the links you provided... hopefully there will be some stats in there!

Thanks again. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
She might as well be asking for proof of Bigfoot, lol.. ain't no such thang. If there were, recliners would be banned, and putting your feet up on the coffee table would be public health risk #1.

Mommy0608

Thanks. That's what I thought. She's the engineer type that needs hard data and numbers... or perhaps she just wants to poke a hole in the fact that RF really IS safest since she turned her kids early. I responded to her with this last night:

Most of the studies I've seen have stats for crash-related injuries, rather than from sitting. However, all the data that points to the safety of extended rear-facing mentions that there is no concern for the safety of legs while riding this way. One thing to consider is that the amount of time my kids are in the car really doesn't add up to much. There are plenty of options for where to put legs, too (straight up, crossed, etc.). Plus, they sit, play and sleep in all kinds of weird positions throughout the day for longer periods of time than while in the car. Kids are so much more flexible than us. :) If you would like some specific studies/links, please let me know. I'll dig them up for ya. :)

Jan06twinmom

Jenny -

One of the moms on the IV boards is a physical therapist. I'm thinking that research on different positions might be more relevant to her field. She also knows about and practices erf with her own twins. Do you want me to ask her if she knows about any studies related to this?

Melanie

The problem is that you can not prove a negative. If something doesn't happen, then there simply aren't going to be studies to show the non-occurence. The fact that there isn't anything in the literature is proof in and of itself that it doesn't occur.

It's like saying show me the studies that show there is less brusing to people not involved in a collision with respect to people who fall off 100 story buildings. There aren't going to be any.

Last edited:

Mommy0608

Jenny -

One of the moms on the IV boards is a physical therapist. I'm thinking that research on different positions might be more relevant to her field. She also knows about and practices erf with her own twins. Do you want me to ask her if she knows about any studies related to this?

Melanie

Thanks Melanie, that would be great if it's not too much trouble. My friend did not respond to my reply but I know she read it. Not sure if I should pursue it any farther though, but if the info is readily available I'll pass it along (plus it would be nice to have on hand for future reference).

The problem is that you can not prove a negative. If something doesn't happen, then there simply aren't going to be studies to show the non-occurence. The fact that there isn't anything in the literature is proof in and of itself that it doesn't occur.

It's like saying show me the studies that show there is less brusing to people not involved in a collision with respect to people who fall off 100 story buildings. There aren't going to be any.

Yes, exactly! Good point! Thanks. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC