Let's talk minivans...again. ;)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'm going to go through the old threads, but figured I'd start my own. ;) I currently have a '00 Suburban 4x4 that I dearly love. However, MPG are killing me. I went back to work a few months ago, and between work, shopping and visits (I'm a foster mom), I'm currently averaging 2k miles a month. And at current gas prices, that's equalling out to around $350 a month, just in fuel.

As much as I love my 'burb, I'm trying to find ways to cut some corners. So I'm looking for something that can haul my brood (ever changing, but currently a 12yr old, and 2 yr old twins in rf DCs).

I'd like a vehicle that will average 20+ mpg, priced under $10k, that's got under 75k miles. Does such a vehicle exist? One that gets good safety ratings to boot. ;)

ADS

Rosey

My sis got a Caravan for $10400 that was an 07 with 60K miles. No leather, but it had a CD player and power doors (no power tailgate). This was in Texas about 8 months ago. I want to say they went to a Car Max in person. I think they got a good deal.

Not sure about the Kia's pricing but it is gonna be on the low end of the market but has good crash test ratings.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Well I'm THRILLED to report, I don't have to sell my 'burb afterall. I miscalculated my mileage and it's not as bad as I originally thought. I'm averaging about 17mpg...so my fuel expenses each month are around $270...buying a van will only save about $40 a month (based on what I'm seeing on MPGs on vans), and that's not a big enough savings to justify giving up my beloved 'burb...especially since it'll be paid off in about 1.5yrs. So I'm sticking with my 'burb!

Maedze

look for a 2001-2004 chevy venture

TERRIBLE crash ratings. Nuhuh.

Op, you can find an 06 or 07 Sedona in that price range, and I'd recommend it. Great safety ratings.

However, that 20 mpg might be difficult especially if you do short hauls. Now that I do mostly in town driving, I barely get 16 in my minivan, and they're all about the same, mileage speaking.

If you want 20 mpg, get a Mazda 5 :thumbsup: (only seats 6 though, in three rows)

4boysmom

However, that 20 mpg might be difficult especially if you do short hauls. Now that I do mostly in town driving, I barely get 16 in my minivan, and they're all about the same, mileage speaking.

Warning: I do not drive so I don't know about these things but how is she getting 17 mph average in her monster vehicle when you are getting 16 in a smaller vehicle? In town vs. highway or something?? Dh is getting his heart set on a "manly" expedition vs a sedona and it sounds mphwise there isn't going to be a big difference so I am loosing that footing. And for a family of soon to be 7 the expie probably would be easier for us for trips like camping or just general hauling stuff to feed etc. the crew... plus I think an expedition might allow us that every once in a while extra adult passenger.

Maedze

Overall, a mini has better gas mileage than a huge expedition. Unfortunately (actually fortunately, except for the mpg issue!) I live in a town that has everything I could ever want in a five-ten minute drive. (Sorry, SPB, I'm not biking three preschoolers!) So my gas mileage is absolutely rotten.

Before, when I was living in a town where you actually had to drive at least 15 minutes to get anywhere, my mileage was more 20-22 mpg.

The average mpg for minivans is 16 for town, 23 for highway, and this is pretty universal across the board.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Well I'm THRILLED to report, I don't have to sell my 'burb afterall. I miscalculated my mileage and it's not as bad as I originally thought. I'm averaging about 17mpg...so my fuel expenses each month are around $270...buying a van will only save about $40 a month (based on what I'm seeing on MPGs on vans), and that's not a big enough savings to justify giving up my beloved 'burb...especially since it'll be paid off in about 1.5yrs. So I'm sticking with my 'burb!

Thanks for the update. A paid off vehicle is priceless. :)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Most of my driving is 20+ miles one way, so I get a fair amount of highway driving in that number. If I drove around town only, it would likely be 15mpg. But due to more highway, it bumps it up. :) I figure a minivan would average out to 20 based on my driving, and that's not enough of an increase for me to warrant getting a different vehicle at this point.

Glad you can keep your Burb. Paid off is awesome, and there's really nothing wrong with the Burb other than possibly gas mileage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC