I don't think I've seen this asked yet, so...

Do you have any misgivings about rf'ing to 40lbs in a radian based on an email/phone call?

• Yes, and I won't do it.

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Yes, but I'm doing it anyways.

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • No, but my kid is too heavy to rf.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • No, and I turned my 35 to 40lb kid back rf'ing.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Clicky box

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Does anybody have any misgivings at all about using Radian's which are included in the retroactive date emails to 40lbs with the manuals and stickers all saying something else?

I've been thinking about this and I don't think I'd be trusting that the company would stand behind the 40lb limit in the event of a collision based on an email or a phone call... Speaking personally I definitely wouldn't do it - and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a parent or even tell them it was a possibility.

Just curious if this has crossed anyone else's mind.

ADS

monstah

If there was a public notice on their website or something, then I would.
-As it stands right now, I won't do it. And I plan on selling my 2 Radians in the future to fund one with 40 pound stickers unless they mail me some new stickers and a letter saying it passed testing. :thumbsup:

Austins-mama

I wondered the same thing.

I would certainly feel more comfortable about it if there was some sort of official announcement on their website (maybe I just can't find it) and if they updated their website to show the seat having a 40lb limit.

But yes I agree new stickers and manuals should be provided at least to the people who request them.

skylinphoto

I posted on another thread that I personally won't do it until there is something official. Be it a revised manual, stickers, notification on their website, etc. I'd be happy with anything. I don't think "well, someone on this carseat message board i visit got an email saying _______" is enough to use it past the limits for my kiddo.

Thankfully, we're not even close to even the 35 lb limit right now. :)

I can't wait for some kind of offical notice though! That'll rock!

Mama Jo

If I had a 35+ lb. kid under the age of 2 that I wanted to rf in the RN right this very second, I'd probably prefer to have an email directly addressed to me from Russ from an 'official' SK email address. I'd probably make a phone call also to confirm, but the way I see it, an email would be easier to fall back on because it can be printed and verified for legal purposes if need be. You can claim to have been told something over the phone, but without evidence, you can't prove it. So if he's willing to put it in writing, he must be willing to accept the liability. If the kid was a little older (3-4) I might be more inclined to wait for a sticker.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Wouldn't do it. Not without official word from SK. By official word, I mean a new manual, new sticker or something. NOT an email from Russ or word from some random CSR.

jujumum

I have reservations, but I just bought an XT to keep my 3.5 year old dd rf. She is just about to outgrow rf her BV by height and weight.

For me, waiting till the official version with the 40lb stickers and manual means turning her ff for several months or buying an MR or CA. Buying a MR means she would outgrow it by height in about 6 months, and buying a CA would mean ignoring the sticker and Safety 1st Facebook page, both that state the height limit is 40" and is absolute (she is 41.5" tall).

I'm taking a leap of faith by trusting Russ's email and the other info posted on this site, but so be it. I just hope I can fit the XT in my van rf.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes, and I wouldn't do it. I personally don't trust Russ after reading some of the things he has said in emails about the Radian

momto2princes

I would need something in writing. Ideally I would wait for the sticker and manual but if I had something formal in writing that would tide me over while I waited.

jrmo

I bought one a couple of months ago that is retroactively 40 lbs. I do believe Russ, as he would be in serious, serious legal trouble for claiming such and it were untrue. It's also been confirmed by multiple others at SKJP, and reported on a reputable carseat advocacy website.

Would I like an official statement? Uh, YES! Would I like stickers and a manual? DOUBLE YES! Am I worrried it's untrue? no.

Calleiah

I had to talk to CS this past week anyway so while I was at it I had a conversation with a rep who did confirm it for me. Im satisfied with that since the info she's given me matches all the other info thats been reported. If there were discrepancies, I'd be hesitant.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I had to talk to CS this past week anyway so while I was at it I had a conversation with a rep who did confirm it for me. Im satisfied with that since the info she's given me matches all the other info thats been reported. If there were discrepancies, I'd be hesitant.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative but just a few months ago CSRs from Graco were telling folks to stop using their NAutilus if their child was sitting on the buckle. Turns out, that was not necessary at all!!

I simply cannot advise a parent to go against what the stickers on their seat says or what their manual says unless there is official word from the company. Hopefully that is coming soon.

Calleiah

I totally understand why people might not want to. But for me, after talking to CS, reading the other info coming out about it, etc., I am comfortable using the seat RF from 35-40 lbs. I do get where everyone is coming from though. For me, it's a parental decision based on the info I've gathered.

serabi

yes, I won't do it. If I end up buying a Radian to ERF (which right now I don't need to, my kids are small) it will be when they have the official stickers and such.

Honestly I don't get why SKJP hasn't released an official notice yet? :confused:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Honestly I don't get why SKJP hasn't released an official notice yet? :confused:

Did they ever release anything official when they raised the RF limit to 35 lbs? :confused: I know they (eventually) started using updated stickers on new seats, but what about existing seats, since the change was retroactive for seats made after a certain date?

emandbri

I'm okay with it. If he had told only one person and not others it would be different but he has told several people. Sure Russ has said some odd things in the past but I do not think he would put kids in danger. I am SO much happier with Elizabeth in the radian than I was in the my ride.

Neatfreak

I posted on another thread that I personally won't do it until there is something official. Be it a revised manual, stickers, notification on their website, etc. I'd be happy with anything. I don't think "well, someone on this carseat message board i visit got an email saying _______" is enough to use it past the limits for my kiddo.

:yeahthat:

The Radian has moved back into the #1 position to replace our MA when it expires next year ...

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Sure Russ has said some odd things in the past but I do not think he would put kids in danger.

I don't think Russ would intentionally put anyone in danger, but I do think there are signs that his obsession with his product tends to cloud his perspective. My Dad would also never intentionally put his grandkids in danger, either, but I don't let him install carseats (he likes to "rig things up.") The best intentions, yk?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC