Renting a car tomorrow. Halp.

urchin_grey

My sister and I and the two kiddos are taking a road trip to go visit our middle sister and her husband in TX. Its a 10ish hour drive. The economy cars are the only ones really in our budget but there are too many to choose from! Out of these, which would be your top picks (assuming the 4 door options are available)?

Hyundai Accent
Ford Focus
Ford Fusion
Mazda 6
Pontiac G6
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Aveo
Chevrolet Cobalt

Also a Toyota Rav 4 and Pontiac Vibe (a bit over our budget, but we could swing it if need be)

We'll have a RF'ing TF and a RF'ing Scenera in the car, so we need something that both of those will install well in. Safety is the #1 priority, obviously.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I don't have experience with all of those models, but I'd probably pick the Impala if possible for room, ride comfort, and relative carseat friendliness for a 10 hour trip and if there's any potential you might have additional passengers at your destination :twocents: It has a roomy trunk for bags, etc, a roomy back seat, and it was relatively installation friendly when we rented one on vacation a couple of years ago, with 3 full sets of LATCH allowing up to 3 carseats to be installed with LATCH at the same time. The lower LATCH anchors were a bit buried but that was my only minor quibble. We used our Scenera RF for DD2, and a Safeguard Go for DD1.

urchin_grey

Thanks, I was kinda leaning towards the Impala because I figured it would be roomier! I've never really seen the inside of any of those models though so I wasn't sure. I was worried about being able to install the TF because of how the lock offs can be so tricky with the seat belt but duuuh, I can just use LATCH (our cars are pre-LATCH so I wasn't even thinking about it). Maybe I can even fit their seats next to each other so that DN can be in the center... :eek:

Morganthe

Impala or the Mazda 6.

I'd probably lean towards the Mazda. I drove a rental Mazda 3 which is considered 'sub compact' -- it had more interior space than the nigher size level of Toyota corolla & Ford models. Zippy & quickness to stop impressed me. So I"m assuming a 6 would be just as good as the 3 series. :)

drove Impala rentals twice. They're roomy & solid too. I liked the car.

Have a good trip. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC