Inexpensive seat for flying with 40+ pound 3 year old

hmbill

We are flying for the first time since my son outgrew his Roundabout and I'd like to get an inexpensive seat just for travel. He currently rides in a Regent, which, aside from being too heavy and bulky for travel, is not approved by the FAA (I don't think) for use on an airplane. Besides, I don't think it would actually fit in the seat! Anyway, I'm looking for something easy to travel with for him as we'll need it on the plane as well as in the rental car (the easier the better as we'll also have our infant twins with us!). He's a big guy at over 40 pounds and is 38 inches tall (31" at his shoulder standing, 17" sitting). Any suggestions? TIA!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
He's a big guy! I might consider a Ride Safer Travel Vest and a SafeGuard GO if I were you. Neither is approved for the plane, but they're lightweight and you can get the RSTV for about $100 or the GO for about $120. Honestly the only thing that's coming to mind that could go on the plane too is a Graco Nautilus, about $160-180, and that will NOT be easy to lug through the airport. I think I would probably go for convenience over having something on the plane if I were you, since you'll have two babies with you too!

Both the RSTV and GO have their pros and cons.

The RSTV is smaller, lighter, easier to carry but you have to basically reinstall it (at least halfway) every time. It can fit in a 3-across if you need it to, though. In the summer it can be kind of hot.

The GO is a bit bulkier but not as bad as a full-sized seat for carrying around; it is very easy to use with LATCH (which any domestic rental should have-- and IMMI advises that its engineers say it can be used up to the full harness limit of 60 lbs. with LATCH in any vehicle, regardless of lower anchor weight limits) in almost all cars and you could leave it installed for the duration of the trip. However it might not last as long (might be outgrown sooner-- might, might not) and it will not fit 3-across in a lot of rentals, if that's important to you (though it could in a few!)

Morganthe

I hope no one is sick of me yet saying this, it's not cheap... it's not lightweight, but in your situation, a Radian 65 would work well. :thumbsup:

Narrow, FF'd is easy Latch connectors install i n rental cars, more comfortable for a kid than an adult width Airplane seat with funky cushions. He'll still be able to easily use the seat tray in front & see out the window. Also Use the LATCH on a folding luggage cart and you have an instant stroller. It's good to have a place to put a three year old for all those interminable airport lines :D

I got our radian when dd was 38 or so pounds & 39 inches at exactly three years old. She's jumped percentiles to around the 99th, now over 46" & 48lbs and she still fits into the darned thing. She'll be 6 in Sept. For the travel we put on it, that thing was truly priceless. I even took it from Abilene-DFW-Seattle-Seoul, Korea & returned alone as the only adult with loads of luggage! :eek: :)

Even fit crazy Korean bus lapbelts. :p

If you're interested, I can post pictures later on with it attached to the cart, with a cat carrier sitting inside, luggage strapped to it, dd waiting, sleeping... eating.. etc. She was living in the darned thing. Made it so much easier for her to fall asleep than sitting on the uncomfortable plane seats.

hth :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I almost said Radian but 2 things-- he has a 17 inch torso, and the Radian won't last long at all, and it's over the $160 mark. Even over the $180 mark. :(

hmbill

Thank you for your replies! When we found out we were having twins, we thought about getting him a Radian so that we didn't have to get a new car, but then the new car ended up being in the budget, so he got to keep his beloved Regent (he loves this seat!). I guess if we had changed seats we wouldn't be having this problem...although now that I look more closely at the specs, his seated height would have been an issue. He is a big guy...takes after his daddy!

Anyway, I hadn't ever seen the RSTV or the Go and both look like they would fit our needs well in this case. Honestly, the thought of him not being locked into some huge hard sided seat scares me from an over-protective mommy point of view! I also didn't realize that he's technically heavy enough to use just the lap belt on the plane...Gosh my little guy is growing up fast! Thanks again for the options...I really appreciate the advice!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I thought I would feel that way too, but after using both the RSTV and the GO for my children, I'm personally okay with them in either. Not, you know, every day, but for short times on vacation, in Grandma's car, or when their regular seats are being cleaned, it doesn't bother me. :) If you like the convenience and the protection of a shell, you might prefer the GO; while it does not have a shell, it does have headwings. It's a bit bulkier to lug but you might find it worth it for your peace of mind. (Personally, I just use the RSTV in the middle if I'm going to use it, but I don't know what your car situation will be like when you get where you're going.)

I got a great deal on mine (and you'd get about another $10 off if you're not a CA resident due to state sales tax) that I posted about here.

FWIW, my brother used to use a lap belt only on planes at 2 and 3 (he was 40 + lbs. then, too) and it did fit him pretty well. If he's generally a laid-back kid I doubt you'll have a problem with him on the plane. :)

I know it's hard to do but really, planes are very, very safe. Try to think of it as the same as riding on a bus, where you don't use a seatbelt, and you'll be okay. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC