6.5 year old almsot passes 5pt test!!!

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok he will be in a booster for a LONG time, but when i was cleaning out the car today he was messing around, and i say him in the jump seats of our land rover buckled and i had to take a shot of it, he's knees bend at the seats edge, he's feet lay flat on the floor, the belt passes over his hips/lower thighs, and the sholder falls right where it's supose to!!! He sits still enough for his parkways but NO way would i let him go with out! I just wanted to show the pick to ya...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/becca011906/album/576460762316228530/photo/294928803899948603/16

now funny thing is after that i had to see if he'd still fit in a radian, so i moved the harness strap up to the top and put him in it... he has about 3/4 an inch of torso hight and his head isn't as close to the top as it looks in the pic, i think it was the angle i was at...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/becca011906/album/576460762316228530/photo/294928803899958333/17

ADS
Amazing that there's such a disparity in how different seats fit different children. I'm glad to hear you aren't itching to "promote" him to the seat belt, though!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've seen another six year old passing the five step test. In the third row of a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring. I went with my neighbor, her five year old daughter (or just about to be five), her six year old niece, and Piper, then three, to an emergency clinic down the road to get a staple put in the five year old's head. Because it was an emergency Piper rode in the six year old's backless booster (against my better judgement, one of those "It's 1.5 miles each way and an emergency with blood all over the place, let's go and hope for the best"). The six year old hopped in the back and I was happy to see she passed the five step test back there. Though no one was in well. My under 30 pound three year old was in a backless Graco Turbobooster, the under 40 pound five year old was in a backless Graco Turbobooster (her normal seat until I pointed out to the mom that it's not rated to 30 pounds without the back, she's now in an Evenflo Big Kid), and the six year old was in the back in just a seatbelt.

Wendy

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Amazing that there's such a disparity in how different seats fit different children. I'm glad to hear you aren't itching to "promote" him to the seat belt, though!

Oh no way will he be out of a booster for a long time especially since most of the time he rides in the back jump seats and i don't think it's as safe as the middle row, and he needs the TSI protection for as long as he fits in that booster! LOL

flipper68

Senior Community Member
It also depends on the vehicle seat. Narrow seat + leggy kid will meet the 5 step test if the shoulder harness has adjustable height. My 9 year old nephew is fine on the bench of their Windstar and in their Yukon, but not in my Camry, in the captain's seat, or in grandpa's Buick.

He's not terribly tall, but he is long and lean - always have to have pants with the adjustable waist or draw string or they'd be on the ground.

granolamama

I've seen another six year old passing the five step test. In the third row of a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring.

That's amazing! I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX, and I don't even pass the five step test in the back seat, due to the shoulder belts being up too high and cutting into my neck. (I'm 5'5" tall.) The front and middle seat belts have height adjustors, but not the back. Does your friend's Odyssey have totally different seat belts in the back than mine?

-Helen

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have no idea. Other than looking for LATCH in the third row I didn't pay any attention to the seatbelt adjusters.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC