Ok for a booster now?

momto2princes

DS is 6.5 years old. At the moment 42lbs and change very responsible and mature for his age. He is currently in a Frontier and I on a whim ordered him a Skurvy Oobr for when they arrive. By the time I get it it will be September.

All of his friends are all in booster (and have been almost all since 4 years old) and he will be starting grade one in the fall.

I guess my question is safety wise statistically should I wait on the Oober and better off leaving him in the Frontier or with some training his he ok to use the booster. I am hoping by the time he is using the booster on a full time basis he will be closer to 44lbs and about 6.75 years old.

I ordered it because it is so cool and had been thinking he is ready but I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Thanks!

ADS

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
i would feel comfortable with my almost 7 year old in a booser, given he fit properly and could sit properly in it... that is, if i had an almost 7 year old.
but i definitely think it sounds reasonable. :)

mommaon112903

Could you start booster training now either by buying a cheap Turbo or even converting the FN into a booster?

Josef can't wait for the day he gets out of his Regent...I just wish the price on the Oobr were not so high :( Josef :love: the Monkey print!

Yes, at his age given he can use the booster properly each and every time, a booster is certainly a safe option.

momto2princes

Thanks! I was thinking that come back to school was a great time to start training him to use the booster.

Q about booster training:

Do you lock the seatbelt for the first bit? Is it safer to lock the seatbelt on them in general or better to let the seatbelt do its job if in an accident and lock on its own?

Should I start talking to him about it first? Show him some videos? I was thinking of starting with short trips and gradually working up to longer distances. He very rarely ever falls asleep in the car so that isn't a big concern.

Thanks everyone!

skaterbabs

I would have no problem with a 40+ lb 6 1/2 using a high back booster full time assuming he sits properly. Locking the belt can be a valuable tool when booster training.

momto2princes

I read about locking it while training and it makes sense. But do you keep locking it or is it safer to let the seatbelt do its thing and lock on its own in an accident?

babygirlsmom1005

Have you thought about using the Frontier as a booster for training before it gets here (assuming you still have him harnessed in it)?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I read about locking it while training and it makes sense. But do you keep locking it or is it safer to let the seatbelt do its thing and lock on its own in an accident?

It's a personal preference thing. Locking the belt can get quite tight and uncomfortable, depending on the booster, so it may be a good idea to not lock it once he's used to it. But it's safe either way. I started out by locking my kids in, and then using locking as a threat. Sit back properly or I will lock your seatbelt! (And they know I'm not bluffing, lol)

momto2princes

It's a personal preference thing. Locking the belt can get quite tight and uncomfortable, depending on the booster, so it may be a good idea to not lock it once he's used to it. But it's safe either way. I started out by locking my kids in, and then using locking as a threat. Sit back properly or I will lock your seatbelt! (And they know I'm not bluffing, lol)

Thanks for the tip! I think that is a great idea.

Girly_Qs

We're in a pretty similar situation and have also pre-ordered an Oobr!

My dd#1 is 6.5yo (will be closer to 6.75yo by the time it arrives), and about to start 1st grade. She's about 46lbs and 49". She's in a Regent now, but her little sister (dd#2) is quickly outgrowing her Marathon. So, that 'pushed' us to go ahead and make the move now so that dd#2 can take over the Regent. I definitely think she's ready for it (not sure *I* am, lol, but she is!).

I think we'll lock to begin with, just because I think dd#1 will feel more comfortable with that (more similar to her 5pt, if that makes sense?). Not sure yet how long we'll continue that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC