I'm fascinated by the MultiMac

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I know we've discussed it here before (for those who may have missed it, it's this,) but I'm curious what you all make of this particular "quirk" of its installation. In a car like mine (Ford Focus Wagon (or "Estate")) that has rigid belt stalks, the MultiMac company provides replacement fabric belt stalks (as well as replacement bolts: )

Eyebolts and webbing buckles required The supplied eyebolts simply replace the existing central seat belt mounting bolts, and the tether- straps are attached to them. The original "rigid" adult buckles are also replaced with the supplied webbing-buckles
adult_buckles_listing.jpg

I'm interested in your thoughts on this. I'm made slightly uneasy by it, but I don't really know how much difference these would make. I have to assume they've made some compatibility check with the manufacturer, otherwise the belts would not click into the stalks. :shrug-shoulders: Also, I understand you can put in aftermarket racing harnesses or 3-point belts and the like, so I guess this isn't that different.

What do you all think? :)

Last edited:
ADS

myliljunebugs

I'm fascinated also :D It would be so cool because I could fit my cousin and all 4 of our kids in my Sonata! sigh. ;) It wouldn't work for long anyway since her DS (same age as mine) already weighs 70lbs, and her younger DS weighs 60lbs.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think it is very cool. :) I like that the Minimac says it is for children up to age three (15kg). Hurray!

christineka

Sounds fine to me. I want a multimac too. Just not sure they will ever get it approved for use in the US. It requires mounting in the car's floor and since the US test bench has no floor, I don't know that it will pass.

Pixels

As long as their webbing/buckle/etc assembly is at least as strong as required by law, and of course is compatible with the male buckle, I can't see anything wrong with it. I don't know how you'd know if it's at least as strong, though, especially since the MultiMac isn't available in North America. I suppose a particularly interested person could dig through the applicable laws.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As long as their webbing/buckle/etc assembly is at least as strong as required by law, and of course is compatible with the male buckle, I can't see anything wrong with it.

So let's assume it is as strong as it should be - would you be supportive of someone replacing their rigid stalks to install a "normal" carseat (if the rigid stalks were interfering, that is?)

Pixels

Define "supportive." ;) That would definitely have to fall under "parental decision." I was just saying that I can't think of a reasonable, safety-related reason that it shouldn't be okay. As it is, seatbelts in the back aren't crash-tested. They have to meet certain criteria, like a pull test, similar to the LATCH system, but no dynamic testing.

My first recommendation would be to try to get a different "normal" carseat, that is compatible with whatever stalks are in the car. For my own personal vehicle, well, I'd avoid buying one with rigid stalks if possible.

southpawboston

So let's assume it is as strong as it should be - would you be supportive of someone replacing their rigid stalks to install a "normal" carseat (if the rigid stalks were interfering, that is?)

i would have absolutely no problem with that. it's not rocket science. there's only one bolt that holds the stalk in place, and all stalks (in the US, at least), whether OEM or A/M, have to pass the same DOT standards for design, construction, and strength. i would install aftermarket seat belt stalks in the rear of my car without thinking twice about it, and i'd install the multimac without thinking twice, as well...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC