benefit of the doubt?

Simplysomething

Last time I posted about the weird baby strapping in thing.while in the store...someone urged me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Okay. lol

Yesterday, I saw a baby in an infant seat. The harness was buckled into the crotch strap, but the straps were not on his shoulders, they were under. Which was sorta like a lapbelt, I suppose. Just the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Anyway. There was also a woman with a really pretty cart cover, it was black/white toile. And her baby was really cute too. The woman was a ....bad word that rhymes with witch.

Anyway. lol

ADS

Yoshi

I think that was me with the "benefit of the doubt" because if you are talking about a baby in an infant seat in a store-not in the car- well here are two pictures I found of my DD when we would go out in the stroller with her infant seat.

#1 is of her with the straps completely behind her- we went to the bagel shop down the street. 5 weeks old
#2 is of her with her straps VERY loose and he chest clip low- we had gotten out of the car and were going on a walk on a nature trail. 14 weeks old

I also would shop in stores with her loose, simply because she was a BIG active girl early on, and I felt she had more wiggle room. I ALWAYS adjusted her before snapping her in the base in the car, so that's really what I'm thinking- maybe the people shopping are doing the same thing. We can hope so, at least!

100_0798.jpg

100_1155.jpg

Simplysomething

It wasn't like that though. They were snug, like they thought that was how the straps were supposed to be buckled.

And no, I hadn't been drinking. Didn't sleep after 2 am last night, but hadn't been imbibing.

Which part didn't make sense?

There were the women with the infant in the carrier buckled incorrectly, and the nasty woman who was rude to me at my register--who had the really pretty cart cover (what are they called?) made with black & white toile fabric. I only mentioned her because she had a pretty baby, but she was pooh head. lol

Though, Yoshi, because it's Christmastime, and I'm a cashier, I have lost my ability to give the benefit of the doubt. Because people coming in are just being nasty! (Sometimes I want to scream at them... "I get that it's aggravating when the item rings up at a price you weren't expecting, however, I have ZERO control over that. So stop being nasty to ME...").

Bah, sometimes I wish I were drinking. lol

Yoshi

Like I told you in a prior post/vent, I did the retail thing for 15 years of my life( 8 yrs of that full-time) so because of that (and I believe in karma) I am super nice to everyone in stores. So I truly sympathize. But the ignorance out there is mind-boggling in regards to carseats.

Simplysomething

Like I told you in a prior post/vent, I did the retail thing for 15 years of my life( 8 yrs of that full-time) so because of that (and I believe in karma) I am super nice to everyone in stores. So I truly sympathize. But the ignorance out there is mind-boggling in regards to carseats.

Ain't it though? lol

I hope you didn't think I was saying YOU were a bad customer. :)

I read that as "regards to cashiers" and was about to get all...something. I don't know. lol I don't know why it surprises any of us the rate of misuse. When we think about the things we did that were incorrect and the information we just stumbled on... kwim?

It's out there, but it's not ...OUT THERE..out there. lol (the information, that is)

Yoshi

OOPs!! I'm glad you understood my true intended point.

Yeah, I know. I found this site and all the information regarding extended rear-facing when my daughter was already almost 3 and 34 lbs! I can't believe I turned her FF on her 1st birthday like all the other people who listen to their pediatricians and the outdated "1 yr and 20 lb" guidelines. Thank God nothing happened.

Years ago, when my son's elementary school-aged friends rode in my car they always put the shoulder part of the seatbelt behind them and I said NOTHING...of course this was like ten years ago. I had NO idea! Worse yet, I think my son was using a regular seatbelt when he was about 4. Were there BPB in 1993? I can't remember, it seems SO long ago!

Simplysomething

OOPs!! I'm glad you understood my true intended point.

Yeah, I know. I found this site and all the information regarding extended rear-facing when my daughter was already almost 3 and 34 lbs! I can't believe I turned her FF on her 1st birthday like all the other people who listen to their pediatricians and the outdated "1 yr and 20 lb" guidelines. Thank God nothing happened.

Years ago, when my son's elementary school-aged friends rode in my car they always put the shoulder part of the seatbelt behind them and I said NOTHING...of course this was like ten years ago. I had NO idea! Worse yet, I think my son was using a regular seatbelt when he was about 4. Were there BPB in 1993? I can't remember, it seems SO long ago!

Shoot, like I've said before, my oldest was turned before he was one--because he was over 20 lbs before then. I do remember that I felt awful about it, but the seats he had, the infant seat went to 22, the convertible to 20, and I think he was 27 lbs at 12 months. Of course I knew absolutely nothing about extended rear-facing. Like you, it was this site that brought it to my attention. I'm almost certain that if I hadn't rediscovered it, my 20 month old would be forward facing all the time now.

I've always been a bit of a carsafety freak though. I remember using the lapbelt in the center and feeling perfectly safe as a little kid, kwim? I don't know if there were bpb's in '93. There were shield boosters, right?

I think we all have that...thank goodness nothing happened, thing. Or, thank goodness nothing happened before I knew better.

Parenting is scary. lol (So many ways to mess up!)

abacus2

Yep, '93 had shield boosters. Crash forces in a side impact accident in '93 threw me into an unoccupied one hard enough to fold the side of the seat (like when you bend a straw), break my ribs, and rupture my spleen. Fortunately, I had emergency surgery and am fine now. I used to wish that booster hadn't been there, but since finding this board I've had a revelation: I might have been ok if that minivan had had lap/shoulder belts in the middle.

Side note about this accident, I was the only one injured of the 5 people in the car, but things could have been much worse. My friend, who was driving, refused to move the van for about 5 minutes until the one reluctant passenger buckled his seatbelt.

Yoshi

Yes, we had a shield booster he used until he whined about it and I let him sit with the lap/shoulder belt around age 4. I had a tiny car, an '88 Nissan Sentra- a tin can on wheels back then. The seatbelt was on his neck, I'm sure of it. :eek: I knew the car had awful crash test ratings- it was all I could afford. I knew that the crash test results always showed the driver being (most certainly) killed by the steering column which would "rotate up and into the driver's head and chest". I figured I'd just be EXTRA Defensive and not let anyone hit me!!!

Since then, I've driven DH's old '87 Jetta, a '90 Camry and then we got the 2002 Subaru new. Now I'm lobbying DH for a new vehicle so we can have side curtain airbags in the second row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC