so what do you do

if you are in an accident and you only have the seats that are in your car? thats all you own, or even if not how do you get home, what do you do in the mean time, do you use the seats just to get home? do you walk? (what if you are like two hrs from home driving)

We were driving in the middle of no where, 5 hrs from home once, and a truck was up my behind, so close, I remember saying to hubs, if he hits me he better be willing to drive his butt to the closest BRU for new seats for us... Keith was like "yea the closest BRU is probably over an hr away."

wwyd?

ADS

Pixels

Seats are usually reused after a crash, to get home or to the hospital. Then you replace them ASAP. It's really not practical to sit on the side of the road, call someone to go pick up new seats and then come meet you, YK? But once you're home, you shouldn't use them again. If you don't have spares at home, ideally you go directly to the store to get new ones and install the new ones in the parking lot.

Mama!

Well, in my case, my kids were sitting inside the wrecked vans in Regents.

I had to drive the van home, busted, with kids in the seats.

We did not have a spare harnessed seat for ds, so they both went into scrounged boosters when we got there , and got a rental.

Had the van been totaled and undriveable/towed? I'd have sent my neighbors/husband back to the house for our spare boosters and put them in the tow truck or a neighbors car to get home.

If I had no seats? I'd have asked the police officer to take us home in his car, and then left the kids with a neighbor if i had to and borrowed a car or something. or called for a rental.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd use those seats to get home. (If I got into a crash on the way home from a crash, I'd consider myself the unluckiest person in the world.) But then I wouldn't leave the house with the kids again until I'd gotten new ones.

That's assuming that there's no relatively feasible way to get new seats. If I needed someone to come pick me up because the car wasn't drivable, I'd have them pick up/bring some seats on the way, probably. (Or have them come in our other car, which already has seats in it.)

fyrfightermomma

You use the seats to get home unless they are just mangaled or bent or failed horribly or something. We always use crashed seats in the ambulance for the trip to the hospital and almost all parents use the same seats to get home or to the store.

I've been in 2 accidents. both times I used the seats to get home. One, I was 30-45 minutes from home. two, I was 2 minutes from home.... a stone's throw away.

ginny4

i've only had a minor accident with kids so......we just drove with them in their seats home & then figured out if the seats wer eOK or not. 2 out of the 4 HAD to be replaced. i used spares i had from my moms car in the mean time. actually those are STILL the seats we use today (the spares that is). insurance sent us the money to replace the ones we lost but i just kept the money for now til its needed.

Mommypooh

I actually have thought this through. I would call my MIL to come to get us to move us somewhere safe. Then I would call my husband to leave work and go pick up seats from BRU. I would then call BRU tell them what seats to pull and put on hold for my husband to pick up. He would then head to where we were waiting so that I could install the new seats in MIL Jeep. THen she would have to drive us home as well as be our transportation until I got a rental.

I am glad that I could move my daughter to a booster in MIL jeep and then I would switch the boys seats since one would have been FF and one would have been RF in the accident I would switch them so that I would be using the opposite belt path on each seat.

natysr

Mommypooh, I think that is overkill. :duck:

In our accident, we were all in the car together.

The paramedics installed Jordan's Roundabout using a forwardfacing install on the rearfacing jumpseat of the ambulance. I was on the stretcher. DH was on the sidefacing bench.

Rode to the hospital. We took a taxi home. The hospital gave us a $30 voucher for the taxi. :thumbsup:

From there, we already had another carseat in our other car. If we didn't, I would have sent DH out to Target to buy a new seat. (I couldn't drive anyway because my feet were broken).

I guess I'm of the mind that if God wanted to take me or my family that day...he would have done it in the first crash.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If the car was driveable, I'd drive home. Using a crashed booster is not okay, but honestly, I'd rather use a crashed booster than a crashed harnessed seat, so if she was in the Nauti I'd take out the harness and booster her. I'd use a spare seat or buy a Turbo until I could replace the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC