Emergency Car Seat Shuffle

sixmaybemore

I've gained two kids for the next week or two. I'm in Idaho right now picking them up (right outside Boise). Car seats are NOT fitting. Mine are in siggy below, theirs are an Graco HBB TBB for an 8 yo, and an Evenflo combination seat (sorry, don't know the name of it).

I tried the Evenflo in the middle back, Graco TBB barely fits next to it, buckling is going to be next to impossible. Olli doesn't fit on the other side. Monterey isn't going to fit if the Olli doesn't fit.

Um. I'm willing to accept ideas for a shuffle, but I'm thinking this is only going to be solved by a couple of Radians. Any other ideas?

Sorry to be abrupt, I had to leave yesterday to pick up the kids due to a family emergency. I need to leave by tonight and get back to Seattle. Thanks for the help.

ADS

BW1426

Is the belt fit on your 11 yo ok without a booster? If so, I'd likely pull him out of the booster to make it work and put your 8yo in the olli. Take the Monterey out of the equation. If your 4 yo is under 40 lbs and would fit in the Avenue, I'd run and get one of those or a cargo or a chase.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Random list of ideas to try.

Try the Safeguard middle 3rd row and see if that's any better.

Put the 11 & 13 yos 3rd row outboard so your not trying to get a booster next to a car seat.

Try taking the back off the Monterrey for the 8yo TB rider (check for screws in the TB) and use the HB TB for your 5yo. The flare of the Monterrey armrests may make buckling easier.

See if either of the 11 or 8yos pass the 5 step in the third row.

Is the Evenflo Combo low profile enough to puzzle in with a Safeguard in the 3rd row?

sixmaybemore

Going to go weigh the youngest one now. Neither one of mine are under 40. Belt fit is iffy on the 11 yo. He tends to slide around a lot w/o the booster.

sixmaybemore

13 yo has to sit up front. I've got 7 kids, and 8 seats. Safeguard does fit in the middle back, but I can't get a booster on either side of it.

Neither 8 yo passes the 5 step test.

Will try the Safeguard next to the Evenflo and report back.

Random list of ideas to try.

Try the Safeguard middle 3rd row and see if that's any better.

Put the 11 & 13 yos 3rd row outboard so your not trying to get a booster next to a car seat.

Try taking the back off the Monterrey for the 8yo TB rider (check for screws in the TB) and use the HB TB for your 5yo. The flare of the Monterrey armrests may make buckling easier.

See if either of the 8yos pass the 5 step in the third row.

Is the Evenflo Combo low profile enough to puzzle in with a Safeguard in the 3rd row?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
13 yo has to sit up front. I've got 7 kids, and 8 seats. Safeguard does fit in the middle back, but I can't get a booster on either side of it.

Neither 8 yo passes the 5 step test.

Will try the Safeguard next to the Evenflo and report back.

How about this

Driver /....................../harnessed seat
Booster /harnessed seat/booster
SBO kid/harnessed seat/SBO kid

sixmaybemore

No, 5 yo won't sit well in a booster. She needs a harnessed seat.

I've got the Evenflo combo back corner, Safeguard in the middle, giving 11 yo 5 step test again. Then Graco TBB, Safeguard, Monterey.

Lordy, this is making my head hurt.

sixmaybemore

Crap. Shoulder belt is hitting him on the neck. So that's a no go.

What's the width of the Cargo, or Nautilus compared to the Safeguard?

sixmaybemore

Well, this particular Target had not much that would/could help us. I ended up with the Evenflo and a Safeguard side by side, and I did what was suggested, and tried 11 yo on the opposite side. So here's the configuration:

13.5 yo front seat, pushed all the way back, SBO

second row, driver side, Monterey
second row, middle, Safeguard,
second row, passenger side, Graco HBB

third row, passenger side, Evenflo
third row, middle, Safeguard
third row, driver side, SBO

I'm not particularly happy with it, especially since this puts a high maintenance 3 yo in the BACK. Eeek. Plus his seat isn't tethered.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Sounds like you did the best you could. You do what you gotta do and it's temporary. Good for you for not just throwing them in and saying "Oh, it's close enough!" (You know some would. Admittedly, hopefully not most techs. ;) )

sixmaybemore

You do what you gotta do and it's temporary.

That depends on your definition of temporary. I have no idea how long I'll have the kids.

So far, 3 yo being all the way in the back = a lot of tears for my 5 yo.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, even if it ends up being longer-term, you'll have time to work out a longer term solution. Or your 11 year old will grow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC