Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

I have a Britax Traveller Plus Question re: Top tether

A friend comes over last night, and her 9 yo dd (49-50 lbs, 44 inches, has downs syndrome) was in a very badly installed TP , complete with twisted straps and belly clip.

I uninstalled it, cleaned it out, and fixed the straps, and then reinstalled it.

I read the whole manual, and it shows the 2 tether anchor straps, and it said to use 1 tether hook/strap for under 80 lbs, and when the child is over 80 lbs you had to use the 2nd one.

Except that her seat had a plain Versatether like my regent. V shaped top tether, with 2 anchor hooks on that 1 strap. There was no way to do as the diagram showed if we had needed it.

I told her I would ask here.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I have a Britax Traveller Plus Question re: Top tether

Yes, that is right. What kind of vehicle? I have done it in my Windstar.

so its supposed to just be one Versatether with 2 hooks?

Its a very old looking bare bones dodge caravan, with a weird thin bench seat for the 2nd row. The seatbelts were nearly impossible in that thing.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo

oh and to clarify, we did top tether it to the top tether anchor on that bench
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo

so, do you just attach both hooks to the same anchor at a certain weight?
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

No, you are supposed to attach it to two different anchors. With the one Versa-tether having two hooks on it, you attach one to the anchor spot for that same seating position, and one to the seating position next to it. Obviously it's easy to do this in a sedan with three anchors right behind the seating positions. In a van, there are more challenges....
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    No, you are supposed to attach it to two different anchors. With the one Versa-tether having two hooks on it, you attach one to the anchor spot for that same seating position, and one to the seating position next to it. Obviously it's easy to do this in a sedan with three anchors right behind the seating positions. In a van, there are more challenges....
    Exactly. Good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    So I wasn't nuts. I told her it didn't make sense to put both hooks on one anchor, it would be too much stress probably. The picture looked like it was supposed to go to 2 different locations after 80 lbs, but I'd be darned if I could fine another one near it other than doing a TTTA on the 3rd row seatbelt behind it, and that'd bring up its own set of issues b/c her seatbelts are just a pain.

TY guys!
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo