Question Cosco "I should know better, but"

C

crazyboutbabies

I want to know what others think of the "Cosco" brand carseats mainly the Secerna?
I was looking at them and they say they are only good for up to 35lbs!...now the ones I found are super cheap, $44.00 NIB....
I've previously owned several versions of "Cosco" seats and HATED them all w/ a passion, so should I even consider this seat for my just 3yr. olds?....They are alrady about 33lbs and semi-tall.....though they do seem to fit in height okay.
I really want a Titan Elite, Advance DLX, TruFit, Natorius, My Ride, SafeSeat2 or anything bigger by Britax (bigger than RA)....Thing is I can't really afford "expensive" and right at maybe $60 each seat is all I can do for now and I need/want 2!
PLUS my BIG drawback.....these are Foster Kids and we aren't yet "officially" licensed, what happens if I spend out big money I don't really got and then we can't get licensed? (don't think that'll happen, but ya never know!)
Any suggestions???
And NOPE the agency don't got no money for new things like this either, already asked!!! lol :0)
Oh right now we do have a Britax Huskey (about to expire) and a Century OHS convertable (prob. already expired, but gotta use something!)

ADS

scatterbunny

Cosco makes many different carseats (actually, Dorel is the parent company that makes Cosco, Safety 1st, and Eddie Bauer branded seats), so it's impossible, in my opinion, to make a blanket judgement on the company as a whole. It's also not a good idea, IMO, to base an opinion on older Cosco seats. Newer seats have more twist-resistant straps, for example (which was a notorious problem on older Cosco seats).

The Scenera is a good budget seat to rear-face up to 35 pounds, but it's fairly short (in harness slot height) with a 40 pound forward-facing harnessed weight limit. Many kiddos outgrow RF and FF around the same time. A seat is outgrown by height forward-facing when shoulders go over top slots or tops of ears go over top of seat shell, and most seats are outgrown in this way, by height, before the weight limit is reached.

Do you currently have two 3 year old foster children who are both around 33 pounds (just trying to clarify your post)? If so, I would probably not get a convertible like the Scenera, chances are they are too tall to rear-face, so I would focus on a seat that will last longer than the Scenera forward-facing. Your budget is $60ish for each seat, so I would look at the Evenflo Chase. It has taller top slots than a Scenera, and is forward-facing only, harnessed to 40 pounds, then converts to a belt positioning booster. It doesn't make a spectacular booster, but for the price, it'll be a better investment for those forward-facing kiddos than a Scenera.

If I were in your shoes, just starting out as a foster parent, I would definitely ditch that OHS Century, watch the Husky expiration date, and buy one Scenera (to use for any child small enough to fit rear-facing; that'll be under 35 pounds and has at least an inch of hard seat shell above the head when the seat is installed) and one Evenflo Chase. For now, that will have children of all sizes covered, since the Scenera fits even small babies well, and will last a good, long time rear-facing even for toddlers and some preschoolers, and the Chase will work for the kids too tall for the Scenera and forward-facing under 40 pounds, and the Husky can be used for any child heavier than 40 pounds (unless the kiddo is so big they're too big for the Husky, in which case, a backless booster would be appropriate as long as the vehicle has high seatbacks or headrests, and a backless can be found for $15-$20).

K-Mart has all kinds of Sceneras to choose from for $45-$50. K-Mart also has the Evenflo Chase on sale for $63 right now, and the Cosco High Rise backless booster for $13. Your original max budget was $60 each, with two seats in mind, so $120. You can get three seats to fit a wide variety of kids for about the same price, going with those seats at K-Mart. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Scenera is good to 35 pounds rear facing, 40 pounds forward. It's a fine seat for what it is. Perfectly safe, and if my child fit and that's what I could afford I'd put them in it without a single moment's hesitation. We recommend it often here.

I really want a Titan Elite, Advance DLX, TruFit, Natorius, My Ride, SafeSeat2 or anything bigger by Britax (bigger than RA)....Thing is I can't really afford "expensive" and right at maybe $60 each seat is all I can do for now and I need/want 2!

For 33 pounds and pretty tall, depending on if their height is in their legs or torso, a Scenera may not work as the top slots are too low. Unless you're planning on rear facing your three year old I would strike the Titan Elite, the Triumph Advance (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about), the True Fit, the My Ride, and the big Britax convertibles. Why get a seat that rear faces if you won't be using it rear facing? If you are thinking of rear facing, then I'd look at the My Ride, Radian, and the new Safety 1st Comfort Air, due out in a couple of months.

The Safeseat 2 is a HUGE seat with a pretty decent pricetag for a 20-40 pound only forward facing seat. It has high top slots, which is great, but it's not cost effective in the least. On a budget it'd be the last thing I'd recommend, probably.

I have no idea what a Natorius is. Do you mean Nautilus? If so if it was in your budget it'd probably be best if you planned to forward face. But it's not in your budget, so it's moot.

I'd look at the Evenflo Chase first. It has a 40 pound harness limit, and doesn't make a great booster, but it has very high top slots so it should last harnessed a while, and with proper care it could be used as a booster when needed. It's about $60. That would be my first, and probably only, recommendation in the $60 price range looking forward for a 33 pound three year old.

Wendy

Jonah Baby

I am actually quite a fan of Cosco.
I think they make a good range of products at all sorts of budgets. Some seats are much better, IMO, than others...

How about Cosco's high back harnessed booster? I bought one at $35 last year. Target has the same in a different color for $45.
It harnesses and belt positions. Up to 80 pounds.

Unfortunately for your situation, I don't think it would be worth the money to find a seat able to RF those kiddos. They are both on the tail end of being able to anyway. Just keep them harnessed in a high back as long as you can.

Maedze

How about Cosco's high back harnessed booster? I bought one at $35 last year. Target has the same in a different color for $45.
It harnesses and belt positions. Up to 80 pounds.

No, the Cosco high-back is a non starter. The top harness position is way too low to be useful...those kids have most likely way outgrown it. It makes a terrible booster, and would never fit an 80 pound kid anyway.

capeKO71

I would buy two evenflo chase seats... the top harness beats the graco cargo (at least my cargo) and it should get the kids past age 4 in a harness.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_024W696779110001P?keyword=carseat

They are $62 at kmart right now and fit your budget.

They will get you a little more room then the scenera.

If you are doing foster car, you may still want to keep an eye out for a a scenera at a reasonable price in case you have younger babies who can still be rear facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC