Need recs yet again

P1ally

Here's the situation:

Stepmom and Dad- Two kids, 11mo, 2.5yo.

E- 2.5, 36lbs, 14.5 torso, currently in EFTA
M- 11mo, 23lbs, unknown torso (just under 2nd slots in TF though), currently in CS (barf)

Vehicles- 2005 BMW X5, 2005 F150 supercrew

My parents FINALLY realized that my half siblings need car seats for each car. They want a convertible that they can use for either kid. (oh and they only WANT to get one, but I'm sure I could convince them to get two, maybe even sell them my TF).

Issues- kids are both tall, 90th percentile, and heavy(70th%ile). Parents- would rather spend money on CRAP than car seats, can't install to save their lives.

Options-
1- Buy 2 radians
2- GN and a radian (or tf)
3- two TFs
4- ????

They have to buy at least 1 seat now, and might be able to wait a month or two to get seat #2, Idk.

WWYD?

ADS

TheQueenMother

There is nothing wrong with the CS that they already have and I think using it would be a good choice in one car.
You said they are not really good with installs. I would knock the radian off of your list.
The GN would be a good choice for the oldest and that would leave the EFTA for the younger kid to RF in when he outgrows the CS.
I would probably recommend a GN and a second EFTA. They are familiar with the install of the EFTA already and the GN is easy to install. I would put the baby rfing in the efta in one car and the cs in the other for as long as he fits in that. Older kid goes in the gn in one car and the efta in the other. When baby outgrows the cs, I would pass down the second efta and buy another gn.
Amanda

TheQueenMother

Oh and those two seats can be purchased for slightly more than 1 radian 65. I am figuring about $150shipped for the gn and $109 for a on sale efta

Last edited:

P1ally

Yeah the CS will be used till it's outgrown (which will be soon) and the EFTA will be passed down. I like the RN idea because my parents don't really install their seats anyways. I do it for them 99% of the time because they refuse to learn the proper way. Plus the top slots are what- 18inches? And they rf to 40lbs now? Big bonus. The EFTA also sits so high that it's difficult to get the kids in and out in their tall cars. New EFTA is out :-/

I worry about comfort in the RN, which is why I liked the TF idea... *sigh* Why oh WHY can't the TF rf to 40 and have just 1 more inch of harness height???:(

April

I vote 2 Radians. For some reason I envision them putting an 11 month old in a GN if one seat is dedicated FF right now.

Mama Jo

What if you move the EFTA to the extra car to be used as the spare... since it's super convenient as a multi-kid seat because there's no adjusting. Since they don't really like it anyway, it will take it out of their everyday usage, while still making it useful.

Then get 2 new seats for the main car. Or one new seat for now, and one later when the CS is outgrown.

P1ally

What if you move the EFTA to the extra car to be used as the spare... since it's super convenient as a multi-kid seat because there's no adjusting. Since they don't really like it anyway, it will take it out of their everyday usage, while still making it useful.

Then get 2 new seats for the main car. Or one new seat for now, and one later when the CS is outgrown.

Right, but what combo of seats? And once M outgrows the CS in a few months, they'll need a 3rd seat lol..

Mama Jo

Right, but what combo of seats? And once M outgrows the CS in a few months, they'll need a 3rd seat lol..

I would get a MyRide for now. If they'll turn the 2.5 yr old RF, and if she'll fit height-wise.

Then, move the baby to the MR when the CS is outgrown and get a RN65 for the older one.

Unless they plan to leave the older one FF. Then I'd maybe get a GN now and either a MR or RN when the CS is outgrown.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC