So bugged!!!

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I struck up a conversation with a new mom from my church tonight. Her ds is only about 6 months old, but weighs 23 pounds. I'd seen him in his infant carrier recently, so I wanted to make sure she had bought a new seat for him. She has and said she went to the hospital to have it installed (I think Safe Kids coordinates those installs here). Here's what I'm ticked about. They installed it for her...but did not teach her how to do it at all!! She is afraid to take it out of the car because she has NO idea how to install it herself. :mad: I told her that I'd come over and teach her how to do it.

I heard over and over in my training "we are an education service, not an installation service." Whoever installed her seat must have missed that important tidbit.

Of course, there was no mention of extended RF either. I said "he's still RF, right??" and she said "yes, until he's 1 year old, right?" I explained that he would be safest until he reaches the limits of the seat. She had no idea. That's no big surprise, though.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My local Safe Kids does no education at all at their monthly checks. It's simply install and move along. :-(

LuvBug

my personal experience has been no teaching whatsoever(except about making sure the straps are tight). Though I have only gone to 2 checks in the past 3.5y to actually get a seat installed instead of checked and they were both within 9m(a few weeks before I gave birth and when he was 8mo). After that I installed my own seats and just went down to chat it up while having them checked to make sure I was doing it correctly and not missing anything.
I dont know for sure but I dont think they teach unless asked because when I am there the parents are in and out too quickly. There arent a lot of techs here though, they only have the check from 10-2, and they get a good bit of traffic so they may not feel like they have time.

Anyway I didnt even know the tech was suppose to teach you until this past year when I started looking into getting certified.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Yesterday, I ran into a lady I helped install her DC when she was pregnant. And what really made my day was, she said that I did such a great job teaching her how to install her seat that she can move it any time she wants and get a rock solid install!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC