I need a new SUV with 3rd row

cryswilkins

I don't even know where to start. We will probably buy used, would like to spend under $15K, it needs to get decent MPG.

SPAM me with links.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You might be able to find an 04 Armada for around $15G. I love mine to pieces, can put 3 Regents in a row, several 3IAR combos in the 3rd row, and I get about 20mpg.

canadiangie

I'm in Canada, so the prices are obviously different, but I wonder what $15k could get you in the way of a Honda Pilot? I can't really think of another decent 7 pass SUV that's semi fuel efficient.

I have a 7 pass Explorer that I've always really enjoyed, but it's far from fuel efficient (though don't ask me what it gets per mile or even kilometre, I wouldn't know, and don't care :eek:). I can get three MA's across the 2nd row, and the 3rd row is a 'real' row of seats... as in, I can put full grown adults back there, with lap/shoulder belts and adjustable head restraints. I can even put a folded Mac twin behind my 3rd row when it's up and in use (or a P&T e3 with the rear wheels popped off).

HTH's

cryswilkins

Does it *have* to be an SUV? why not a minivan?

My DH is really against the minivan. The more that I look though, the more that it makes sense to get one. As much as it make me feel like my mom to drive one, in our price range we could get one that is fairly new and it would have everything that we need.

I would rather have an SUV, but I am finding that spending less than 15K there are not a whole lot of options for us.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Just for comparison, see how much a 2006 Kia Sedona would cost you, they have tons of room and top safety ratings.

APT

Can you provide a few more specific requirements?

Decent MPG = 15mpg, or 20mpg, or 40mpg average?
Looks like you have 1 child, so who would be riding in the other 4-5 seats including 3rd row?
Do you want the SUV for image or ride/seat height or towing something?

Willing to consider the Mazda5?

swtgi1982

SUV may be your best bet since most minivans have hardly no room in the back (third row) especially if you are looking to put a RF seat back there, it not easy nor very practical. It really only good for small kids FF in the third row in most. Many SUV have more room in the third row then a mini van.

Just my opinion.

celtic1885

My DH is really against the minivan. The more that I look though, the more that it makes sense to get one. As much as it make me feel like my mom to drive one, in our price range we could get one that is fairly new and it would have everything that we need.

I would rather have an SUV, but I am finding that spending less than 15K there are not a whole lot of options for us.

I had a minivan, traded for an Expedition w/third row, just recently traded back to a minivan - 05 Honda Oddy.

Pros:
SUV - could haul anything - actually only towed 2-3 times (1-2 could have been w/minivan), sat up higher - could see around really well.
Minivan - roomy - dd3 sat in third row for a 6-7 hour road trip and loved it! raved about how comfortable. fits in garage better. much better gas mileage. sliding doors means no more *potential* for dings in parking lots.

Cons:
SUV - gas mileage sucked! I was happy if I got 17 mpg. dds couldn't get in by them selves, had to lift them in and out. With two carseats in outboard positions (so they wouldn't fight) it was a PITA to get to the third row. NO SPACE behind the third row when the seats were up. (did love the push button fold though ;) ) Barely fit in my garage, had to squeeze into car and several times had to back out to buckle dd2 - which caused her to freak out since she wasn't safe and I was driving.
Minivan - cool factor ;). lower to the ground did love being able to see around. other than that haven't really got any other negatives right now.

Everyday I drive my Oddy I think again how glad I am that I traded. I drove a bunch of people to lunch the other day and didn't have to undo carseats to do it. They just manuevered around the captains chairs and went to the third row - three grown adults (2 of whom were "plus" size).
When we went on our trip I was able to put our BJCMD and all our bags behind the third row and dd3 was able to be in the back to help with the girls and stretch out.

Are there times I miss my SUV, yes, but in the long run I am very happy I went back to a minivan.

Good luck!

PS. who's going to be the main driver? you or dh?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
How many tether anchors in the armada? And can you get radians in it?

Well the down side to the Armada is there are only 3 tether anchors. Second row outboard and third row center. The third row center tether is exactly centered between the center seat and the passenger side seat, and it is welded on (meaning it can't unscrew), so I've made the decision to go ahead and use that tether anchor when installing in the 3rd row passenger side if I need to. One bonus to all the 40# rfing options, the chances of having to put 4 children ffing before the oldest one is ready to move on to a booster are getting smaller. :D

I can get a rfing RN in all seating positions. FFing I can get it 3rd row in all seating positions if I feel like demonstrating the more colorful elements of my vocabulary, and 2nd row center with next to no effort. 2nd row outboard only works with LATCH, though I admit there are a lot of tricks I didn't bother to try with seat belt since there is no weight limit on the LATCH for Nissans.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
SUV may be your best bet since most minivans have hardly no room in the back (third row) especially if you are looking to put a RF seat back there, it not easy nor very practical. It really only good for small kids FF in the third row in most. Many SUV have more room in the third row then a mini van.

Just my opinion.

Hmm... I have 2 RF Marathons in the 3rd row of my minivan (2007 Toyota Sienna) with the middle row seat in their furthest back position. Plenty of room.

I am 6' tall and can ride comfortably in the 3rd row, with the middle seats in their middle position.

My 3rd row is more comfortable and spacious than the 3rd row in my SIL's 2007 Suburban.

Our old van (Dodge Grand Caravan) was not quite as spacious, but still pretty good.

karlatta

Just my opinion.
I disagree. I have a 2006 Sienna and have a Marathon RF in the 3rd row. I also have two RF seats in my 2nd row, and there's plenty of room.

cryswilkins

Just out of nosiness - er, curiosity - why the sudden need for such a big vehicle? More than one baby? :p

No, but this vehicle may see us through to one more kid. Also my best friend is pregnant, and we will be trading babysitting between us we will need at least one vehicle to transport all the kids.

APT

Sounds like any mid-sized 2-row SUV will work for 3 across. Mazda 5 would be great, best FE for 6 passengers with minimal luggage.

Anstar

Check the rear benches. Some sit up higher over the wheel wells and have more room, others, like the Suburban, sit lower (more comfy!) but have less room between the wheel wells. It's harder to get 3 across the 3rd row in my Suburban than it is in my SIL's Lincoln Navigator.

jess71903

Ambassador
This probably won't be a popular answer, but we have an '06 Explorer and I really like it. We have been on a trip with another family before and had DS's RF True Fit in the middle row center, with me and my friend on either side, then a FF AOE and a Turbo in the 3rd row with room to transport strollers behind the 3rd row. When the 3rd row is down, it's got tons of cargo space. Tether anchors behind all 5 rear spots (rear cargo anchors are approved tether locations)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC