Graco DOM question

Mommy0608

I thought Graco seats expired in December of the year 6 years after the DOM? My SS1 has a DOM of 7/9/2007, but a do not use date of December 2012. That's just shy of 5.5 years. :confused:

I know someone else on this board encountered this problem (Mama Jo), but I don't know what the resolution was.

(Psssst... Mama Jo, I PM'ed you!)

ADS

NannyMom

I have this with a Cargo. I called Graco. They told me it was fine to use until Dec of the 6th year. I didn't like that answer, it didn't sit right with me. They said I could return the seat to them for a new seat. But.....I never got around to it. The seat is still sitting in my closet.

Mommy0608

Hmm, yeah, I wouldn't be satisfied with that answer either, that it's "fine". Somewhere a mistake was made, not sure where... whether the stamp is wrong or the DOM sticker. If indeed it's just a misprint with the do not use after stamp, then that's okay, but if the DOM is incorrect, that isn't good. Not sure if they could find out for sure where the problem is though.

I'm only going to be using the seat another few weeks anyway until his Complete Air arrives, but still... I want to sell the seat, so I need to know when it truly expires.

NannyMom

I was told to go by the sticker. THe stickers are right.

Someone on here also mentioned sometimes they forget to change the date on the machine that molds the seat. But to me it seems odd to forget for 7 months :confused: I could understand a Jan DOM maybe even a Feb DOM forgetting to change the mold. But July?!

Mama Jo

I PM'd you back ;) But since you started a thread... I forgot to call Graco. I still have the SS, though I was going to sell it, I ended up keeping it. I'm going to try and remember to call sometime this week, now that you've brought it up.

I did send them an email and got a generic response about why carseats expired and not to use after the expiration date... blah blah blah... which didn't answer my question as to why the expiration date was 5.5 yrs after the DOM instead of the standard 6+ yrs.

Mama Jo

Great news! I called Graco cs, and without hesitation the rep told me she'd send me an authorization letter to return the seat to them and issue me a full refund.

I told her I wasn't sure if I still had the receipt and if that would be a problem. She said without the receipt, they would just issue the refund for the MSRP at the time the seat was manufactured.

Which will probably be significantly more than I paid for it, since I got it on clearance for less than $100 from albeebaby.com. She said that was fine.

This is great for me, because I don't actually need the seat anymore, so I can put this toward a new one. (Which I really don't need either :whistle:)

Since the cs is so great though, it kind of makes me want to purchase the MR instead of the RN XT.

Mommy0608

My experience was just the opposite. The lady who answered said it's fine, go by the stamp (which makes it good for 5 years not 6 like it should be). I told her that this discrepancy will cause a problem for some parents who go by the sticker and use the seat a year after it has already expired, not knowing. I asked to talk to a supervisor who told me the same thing. We went back and forth about it and I said that I now have a seat with a year less use, and that I wasn't happy about it. She just said, well, some of our seats are only good for 5 years. That's not true. It's supposed to be 6. I don't have anything that says that in writing... does anyone know where I can find this info? I know everyone around here says that they expire in December 6 years after the DOM... that WOULD be 2013, right? The DOM is 7/9/2007 but the stamp says December 2012. I didn't tell her that I know of someone else who has this problem and is getting her seat refunded, maybe I should have. I don't want to sound like I just want money though because that's not true. Really, I am concerned about the true lifespan of the seat and why there is a discrepancy that they can't seem to explain to me.

Big :thumbsdown: for Graco!

Oh, and I did play my CPST card. I told them I know a lot about car seats and expiration, which is why I'm concerned about the discrepancy. Apparently that didn't matter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC