Grrr... Titan

jeminijad

I wish I had had the good sense to look for a forum like this before my baby shower.

I have a tall just turned 5 month old. She outgrew her Snugride at 3 months (head was 1/2" from top of shell. See, I've been lurking here :D ) The convertible car seat that I was stupid enough to register for was the Evenflo Titan Elite.

I knew enough that I couldn't go straight from a bucket to a FF seat, but not anything about the differing shell heights, etc. So now DD rides in DH's car in the Titan, is already on the second set of slots and looks like a toddler in it, relative to the height of the seat. In my car, she rides in the Ashley Marathon that is so cheap at albeebaby, and even that will probably be outgrown long before booster age...

I guess this was just a complaint and a solicitation for others to share how quickly their children outgrew the Titan! At this rate my poor kid will barely make the 1 year RF minimum in that waste of $100.

ADS

NannyMom

There are alot of Titan haters here. I actually thought my daughter outgrew it months ago (right after she turned 2). But I was wrong. I recently put her in and remeasured (correctly) and she had 3 inches above her head (at 2.5). I think my daughter has an average torso.

But, I do feel for you :( Maybe she needs a true fit or radian.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
lol! Actually, the titan isn't the worst of the worst. the slot heights are low, but the shell is actually middle-of the-road.
and torso height, and overall growth really does slow down at about a year...If you post pics, we'd be happt to let you know approximately how much time you have left. Have you viewed the thread about how to correctly measure rearfacing height? Most people measure incorrectly, and think a seat is outgrown WAY before it really is. Also, if you haven't already, taking out the extra padding can buy you a little more time.
can't wait to see your giant kid in her titan, LOL!

Joyofbirth

We also have a titan. I think it's a titan 5, not an elite. I hate it. But it was given to us when my dd outgrew her snugride when I really thought I had a little more time. The straps gets twisted under the seat a lot and make me crazy. They are really just all around a pain to deal with. Tightening them just right is a pain. So, I totally feel you on hating the Titan. But with that said, I'm grateful to have it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Remember that as you're able to install it more upright, you'll gain more shell height, too.

jeminijad

I will take a pic tomorrow. She isn't giant, just 95th percentile. Heh.

Re the measuring... it isn't good enough to go by the 1" rule? I can see why measuring would be helpful to project how long she might last, didn't know I needed to actually measure since it seems the torso length represented by where her head hits the shell is more important than the # on a tape measure. But I am certainly here to learn. I will read the thread about measuring.

I don't want to get my first thread moved into the technical area, but the incline thing is also something I don't quite get. As long as the incline is between 30 and 45 degrees, and the kid's head isn't flopping forward, you're fine, right?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Yes, you do go by the 1 inch rule, but it has to do with WHERE you are measuring as to how much room youhave left..if you go stright over the kids head, it will look like a seat is outgrown way before it is..you actually have to angle DOWN towards the shell at a 90 angle..which buys you inches....hjere is the thread..a quick look at the first post will let you see quickly whether or not you are measuring right....http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Kearney09027.jpg

That's Ilana at 28 mos and about 35". Sitting up straight she has an inch over her head so I'm guessing in the car she'd be too tall to rf.

Last edited:

NannyMom

I will take a pic tomorrow. She isn't giant, just 95th percentile. Heh.

Re the measuring... it isn't good enough to go by the 1" rule? I can see why measuring would be helpful to project how long she might last, didn't know I needed to actually measure since it seems the torso length represented by where her head hits the shell is more important than the # on a tape measure. But I am certainly here to learn. I will read the thread about measuring.

I don't want to get my first thread moved into the technical area, but the incline thing is also something I don't quite get. As long as the incline is between 30 and 45 degrees, and the kid's head isn't flopping forward, you're fine, right?

How old is she? BabyS is 6 months, and 95th% for weight and length. But she has a ton of room in the snug ride still. At 2 months she had a really long torso, but seems to have not grown in the torso since then (she's still barely above the 2nd slots in her SS1). Your baby must not only be a long baby (by %), but also a super long torso.

Look at her from the side, while buckled into the seat. Sometimes looking from the front it looks like less room above the head.

That's Ilana at 28 mos and about 35". Sitting up straight she has an inch over her head so I'm guessing in the car she'd be too tall.

SHe'd likely gain room too when she's buckled in.

NannyMom

We also have a titan. I think it's a titan 5, not an elite. I hate it. But it was given to us when my dd outgrew her snugride when I really thought I had a little more time. The straps gets twisted under the seat a lot and make me crazy. They are really just all around a pain to deal with. Tightening them just right is a pain. So, I totally feel you on hating the Titan. But with that said, I'm grateful to have it.

I know there's an older Titan and a newer Titan. But according to Evenflo, they are all Titan 5. The 5 means 5 point harness.

Joyofbirth

The one I have is specifically called the Titan V on the manual. Must have changed that to a regular 5 in my head. I wish I could at least get harness covers.

jeminijad

Here are some crappy pics of her in the Titan.

The first pic I know the strap is off her one shoulder, harness isn't tightened, clip isn't perfect... we weren't actually driving, it was hot outside and she was grumpy!

The third pic shows her shoulder as def above the second slot from the bottom. At 3 mos when I put her into it she was even with that second slot.

You can see that of course she has plenty of room, it just seems like a barely 5 month old shouldn't fill up the seat so well, KWIM? She is swimming in her Marathon.

NannyMom, maybe I was wrong about her Snugride, from what you are saying... I didn't measure the way I was supposed to. I don't still have it, so I can't check anymore... I wanted to use the convertibles, anyay.

Last edited:

mommaon112903

At least to me it looks like she has plenty of room left :) I will let someone else chime in though, someone who can do the measuring better than I ;)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
LOL. I know what you mean about it looking like a tiny little seat, and the kids being giant in it. it really DOEs look that way. But, as you can tell, you have what? 4 inches left? that is a good 2 years, like jools said.
another thing I have found with mine is tha the fabric is stretched really taut over the seat area..suich that if you press down hard, there is actually more room until you hit the shell. as the kid grows and gets heavier, and the fabric gets worn and stretches, you actually gain some room.
My 5 year old grandaughter who is about 44 inches tall and 46 pounds, but with a short torso, actually rode in that seat earlier this year. She has just now outgrown it within the last couple months.

joy - my manual says titan V on the manual also, although it is a titan elite version. i guess they didn't change the manual much, lol.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Can't tell, but do you have the infant padding in it? Taking that out will help with room too. But still, she has a lot of room.

KaceyLynn

we have 2 OLD Titan V (yes roman nuemaral V -- not number 5) both are expiring this year but we have been very happy with this seats

I bought them for DS when he out grew his infant seat at 6 months -- was thrilled he could still rf (this was 5 years ago)

he rode in that untill he was almost 4 when DD needed when she out grew her infant seat

She still fits into it - we use on in Dh's truck

and the other is a spare seat that grandma's use for her -- and friends have borrowed it.

the BEST $90 I ever spent. (they were less than $45 each when I bought them on sale)

APT

I have a 4 year old Titan V as well. I find it is similar to the Cosco Scenera. The shell is short which makes it great for smaller rear seats. It can be used RF to it's limit and then replaced by a dedicated FF harnessed seat like Frontier, Nauti, which generally don't have the same space issues in smaller vehicles.

Compared to the MA we also have, installation is more difficult/lengthy both LATCH and belt, buckles are harder to latch, fabric is cheap, but $200 vs. $50? Both are safe once installed correctly.

NannyMom

Oh you have a ton of room :) BabyS is over the 2nd from bottom slots as well. Like others, I'd suggest taking out the infant padding. That will help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC