Question Nautilus or AO

abttrflykss

We need to replace the carseat in MIL's van as it's expiring soon. MIL would like a seat that will last til dd no longer needs one. I want a seat that harnesses to over 40lbs. That's why the Nautilus would be perfect. The runner up seat I was looking at was the Alpha Omega (that harnesses to 50lbs).

DD turns 3 in Sept and is about 28 lbs. Not sure of her length, but my girls seem to grow about average in height.

Which seat would be better? I was reading about the crotch buckle issue with the Nautilus, but it seems like it's not as big of a problem as first thought?

Thanks in advance

ADS

Laurette

My DS has a Nautilus and we love it. I think the Nautilus will last alot longer than a AO. I would deffinatly choose a Nauti. We dont have any problem with the crotch strap/buckle.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The big problem with the AO as a booster is that it fits kids *horribly*. The design is so poor that it holds the belt up on the abdomen, and the shoulderbelt way off the shoulder. Here's a review... http://carseatblog.com/?p=906 The Nautilus is actually just as bad for some kids, but it does seem to actually fit at least a few kids ok as a booster, so the odds are better it'll work for your kid. Honestly I'd get a seat that is a dedicated harness right now, and a dedicated booster lately. You could get an Evenflo Chase plus a Graco Turbo for less than the Nautilus costs, and be assured of getting a good safe fit. (The Chase is a terrible booster, too, but as a harnessed seat it's not too bad, it has nice tall top slots).
:)

abttrflykss

Why are you limited to those two? Do you want to rear face him (he'd be safest rear facing :) ).

These are the 2 seats that are in our price range and harness above 40lbs. We did erf my daughter til she was about 20-22 months old, but she goes between 3 different cars/car seats and has a careless father who does things how HE wants to....no matter what is best for the kids. (Obviously we are seperated, and have been in an ongoing battle with his *priorities*.)

Evolily

These are the 2 seats that are in our price range and harness above 40lbs. We did erf my daughter til she was about 20-22 months old, but she goes between 3 different cars/car seats and has a careless father who does things how HE wants to....no matter what is best for the kids. (Obviously we are seperated, and have been in an ongoing battle with his *priorities*.)

There are other seats in that budget :) . The Graco My Ride, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, and Safety 1st Apex are all options. But of all of them the Nautilus is going to last the longest. Generally you do not want to get a convertible for forward facing only, because you are paying for a feature you won't use.

My only caveat would be getting a seat that can be used as a booster. This may encourage other users to booster her, instead of harnessing her. For that reason I might prefer a seat like the Evenflo Triumph Advance or Graco My Ride, that doesn't turn into a booster. I would stay far away from the Alpha Omega, because in addition to turning into a booster it turns into a very poor and almost always unsafe booster.

Austins-mama

Out of those two I would def go with the Nautilus. as others have the the AO makes a terrible booster so if you want this to be the last seat you buy for him the GN is your better bet.

The only other one I can think of in a similiar price range is the Apex65. but you must have adjustable headrest for the seat. and i know a few people have complained that its too wide in booster mode as well.

abttrflykss

The only other one I can think of in a similiar price range is the Apex65. but you must have adjustable headrest for the seat. and i know a few people have complained that its too wide in booster mode as well.

MIL has an '07 Dodge Grand Caravan and it has adjustable headrests on all the seats.

MIL would prefer this be the last seat for my daughter, but if there is another option that will harness her long enough for her to go into a backless booster, that would work too. It was hard enough trying to get MIL to understand why dd could NOT go into a HBB-type seat after 40lbs (I know she *can* but my stipulation is to keep her harnessed as long as possible).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

It doesn't require adjustable headrests. Just support from the car to the level of the child's ears. If you have tall seatbacks then it's just fine.

MIL has an '07 Dodge Grand Caravan and it has adjustable headrests on all the seats.

MIL would prefer this be the last seat for my daughter, but if there is another option that will harness her long enough for her to go into a backless booster, that would work too. It was hard enough trying to get MIL to understand why dd could NOT go into a HBB-type seat after 40lbs (I know she *can* but my stipulation is to keep her harnessed as long as possible).

After a harness comes a high back booster. Period. Even kids outgrowing the Regent go into a high back booster.

If there's a concern that MIL will want to use a booster when a booster shouldn't be used, then you may want to not buy a seat that acts as a booster. Because if your MIL reads the directions she may find that she's doing just fine according to the manufacturer, even if it's not best practice, and that would be a hard battle to win (short of the, "My child, my rules. You don't follow my rules you don't get to see my child.").

Wendy

Austins-mama

oops my bad - I did mean to write - or highback seats - as well. the dangers of playing on line while at work. you get distracted mid thought.

the Apex65 must have support behind the headrest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC