Making a 9 year old ride in a booster

beeman

I chauffer a 9 year old now and then, and am trying to think of the best way to convince him to ride in a booster seat. His parents don't have him ride in one, which doesn't help my case. I don't want to pull the "my car, my rules" if I don't have to. What are the best points to use to convince him? I have a Turbo booser, and I'm 99% sure he will fit it.

ADS

lovinwaves

What about the fact that he may be able to see out the window better? Also, maybe the seatbelt won't hurt his neck so bad, because the positioning will be better?

And finally, because "Boosters are cool!!"....just kiddin', he would never go for that :rolleyes: :D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Does he need one? Does he not pass the five step test in your car?
If he really needs one, does your car have cupholders? If your car doesn't have cupholders, give him a bottle of water, pop out the cupholder, and voila, boosters are cool for at least holding a drink, lol. Also, armrests are cool...

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My son is 10, and while he is much too large for any booster...I don't think there is anything you could say/do to make him WANT to sit in one voluntarily. You may have to resort to the 'my car, my rules'. It's what I do with my daycare kids.

I have threatened to put one of my sons friends in a booster, if didn't quit putting the shoulder strap behind him. He does it in his parents car all the time...at least now he sits correctly in mine! LOL

mamato2

Would a low back booster 'do the trick'? If he fits well with just a low back that might be more easily accepted by him. I prefer kids who need boosters to use our Parkway but a few of my older dd's friends really fit quite well with a low back. I went out and bought one just to keep in the car since some of the moms will say 'oh, they are fine...I'm not going to bother giving you our booster'. I put them in the seat, check them out and decide for myself. So far when I've said, 'hmmm that belt goes across your belly, I want you in a booster so if I stop fast you don't squish your 'soft parts'', they use the booster. Probably just to humor me, but they do it. :rolleyes:
C.

beeman

No, he doesn't pass the 5 step test. Lovinwaves, I'll give those a shot. The booster seat is way cooler than the old farm truck bench seat. I also don't have cup holders in my truck :mad: its a pain! That one might work too. My head supports are too low to use the booster backless on an older kid. With the booster the top of the head rest is under 2ft backless, while the top of the booster is close to 30" with the back on. I'll try the injury thing too! Thanks.

cantech

Beeman,

My experience has been that it's the parents that need convincing not the children. If you point out how the seatbelt should fit and let him see how much better it does fit with the booster you may be surprised by his reaction.

I could well be proved wrong in this very shortly though, our new provincial legislation is going to require all children under the age of nine to be in a booster or appropriate car seat.

Belinda

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I find the kids are also usually more receptive to the issue than their parents :eek: A lot of kids have had fun taking the 5 Step Test on their own (in the vehicle, with supervision) & especially when I admire the armrests + cupholder, as well as enhanced ability to see out more ;) It's usually the *other adults* who hear the "my car, my rules" thing from me :)

Last edited:

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Go to www.carseat.org (safetybeltsafe.org) and print out the 5 step test. Have him do it himself.

Another demo to use is to put a tube of toothpaste inside an empty paper towel/tp roll. The toothpaste is the human and the cardboard roll is the seat belt when it rides up off the hips/legs. Bend the toothpaste tube to show the internal injuries.

You could also show him in the car - give the shoulder harness a good jerk (ala CRASH - hitting the brakes) with the seat belt positioned correctly and with it riding up onto the abdomen.

From there, it's simply, "My car, my rules," or "Because I'm the adult." Or as one of my resource kids once defended me to his peer, "She's not mean, she's just . . .picky!" :cool: Most kids are fine with that. Especially since your kids clearly are in the same "boat."

FWIW: My nephews (7 and 9) have never complained (at least to ME :D ) when I adjust their seats, boosters, seat belts or head restraints or in several cases put them "back" into a booster in my car or theirs. They may ask "why?" but that's been covered.

Happy taxi-ing.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I had to tell a 9yo he needed a booster at the last check I did, he didn't look thrilled. lol He pulled up w/ the shoulder belt behind his arm though b/c it was rubbing his neck. I told him how to wear his belt and mentioned either a backless booster or he could try sitting in the middle (next to the baby, lol) to see if that helped. Once kids are 6 here they don't 'need' seats anymore so it's hard to get them back in them once they're out. I have a friend who I think is slowly becoming more aware (her 2yo is almost 40# so she's at least thinking about her), but won't put her tiny little 8yo back in a booster. She probably took her 6yo out of his too. :(

Pawy

I had this problem once but as people have said my car my rules but i told him it was a big boy seat and not a babies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC