Am I being crazy about the sticker?

Karen

I really want to buy an XT and DS is getting really close to 35 lbs. He is 34 naked. But I really want to get one with a sticker and manual that say 40lbs. Mostly because I'd like to show it to others, demo it if you will. Also, I don't want to fight with people (mom and MIL) about what it says versus what it really is etc. So do I wait? Do I just order it anyway? Am I being crazy? I called SK today and they said it would be at LEAST 3 months before we saw any stickered at 40lbs.

ADS

vonfirmath

I'd want the sticker that said what it actually was, too.

I fight enough about its okay to RF longer than a year, etc. And I point to what the instruction manual says. I don't really want to start on "But the company told someone on this car seat board I'm on this is okay"

Esp because people have been known to call car seat companies and get faulty info in the first place.

Mommy2Marcus

Hiya! I can see why you would want one that says it on the stickers, as I would as well.

However I did see that you said that he is 34lbs, naked. Well he unfortunatly is going to be need to be turned FF if he is still RF. The reason is, that the weight limit on seats is fully dressed with a full belly shoes & a wet diaper, not naked. So if he truely does weigh in at 34lbs naked then when he is dressed with shoes on he is over the weight limit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

I also feel your pain. I had to turn my son over the winter b/c with all of the above he was weighing in at 34-36lbs.

sunnydayz

I'm concerned about about the label/manual discrepancies too. My son has a couple pounds to go, though, so I just might wait it out until the seats with the increased labels and manuals are released.

I'm also concerned about the retroactive increase being rescinded. I believe Britax did this a few years ago going from 30-33lbs (initially made the increase retroactive and then took it back). I think I want something more concrete and official before making the purchase.

munchkin

I don't think you are crazy. I would be kinda leary of it too. If I had a Radian that fit into the dates I would probably use it, if necessary. But if I was buying a new seat for the sole purpose of wanting to keep a 35-40 pounder RF, I would want the stickers and manual to clearly state the 40 pound limit.

I don't know what I would do in your situation, because obviously you are going to need it soon, but the seats with the stickers won't be out for a while.

mum2two

Hiya! I can see why you would want one that says it on the stickers, as I would as well.

However I did see that you said that he is 34lbs, naked. Well he unfortunatly is going to be need to be turned FF if he is still RF. The reason is, that the weight limit on seats is fully dressed with a full belly shoes & a wet diaper, not naked. So if he truely does weigh in at 34lbs naked then when he is dressed with shoes on he is over the weight limit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

I also feel your pain. I had to turn my son over the winter b/c with all of the above he was weighing in at 34-36lbs.

If OP's son is 34lbs naked, I wouldn't think with clothing/shoes he'd gain 6 lbs....so he would still be under the new 40lb Radian limit right??? I mean that if she buys/get a new Radian that will allow for 40lb RF, I didn't mean the BLVD she already owns, her siggie says awaiting an XT.

Last edited:

Connor's Mom

FYI: Radian is 40lbs rear facing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus the OP is a CPST. ;)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If OP's son is 34lbs naked, I wouldn't think with clothing/shoes he'd gain 6 lbs....so he would still be under the new 40lb Radian limit right???

Yes, but he doesn't have a 40lb Radian yet. ;) He's in a Britax Boulevard, which has a 33 or 35 lb. RF limit, depending on DOM. (I assume that OP has a 35 lb. limit seat or she would have turned her DS already.)

So as I see it, it boils down to this:

- Turn him FF, as his clothed weight has reached the RF limit of his current seat, and wait for a new Radian with the 40-lb RF sticker
- Buy a new 40-lb RF seat now, either the My Ride or the Radian without the 40-lb RF sticker.

Personally, I wouldn't wait for the sticker, since that means turning him FF.

:twocents:

jujumum

Personally, I wouldn't wait for the sticker, since that means turning him FF.

:twocents:

I don't think the op is crazy and would love a 40lb sticker myself. But, with a 33lb dd in a 35lb BV rf, I'm not waiting, and just ordered an XT.:thumbsup:

Pixels

I sent an email to Russ last night, asking what they're going to do about the Radians that are retroactively certified to 40 pounds, but have a 35 pound weight limit. I asked if they'll be sending out new stickers, issuing an official statement on their website, or giving out letters on company letterhead. I also asked a slew of more minor Radian-related questions. Russ is pretty good about responding quickly to emails, so hopefully I can give you an answer later today.

Maedze

They really do need to do something official other than mentioning by email to a few people. They need to put an official statement on the website and mail letters to all registered owners of affected seats.

Karen

He is NOT over 35 lbs clothed (it is really hot here, he is PLed and we don't wear shoes in the car.) I will not be turning him in his BLVD until he is.

I called SK yesterday about sending out new stickers. I was told that they don't even have stickers, their manufacturer in China does. They told me they haven't even made any changes to stickers or manuals yet, and that it would take place sometime in the next 3 weeks to a month and that the new seats would be 3 months out.

Stresch

Not that my opinion matters much since I'm not a tech, but I would wait for the sticker or at least an official bulletin.

It's not like Russ hasn't ever said crazy stuff before.

Of course, I have no problem with a three year old forward facing. My own daughter flips back and forth depending on her mood and our need to fit a fifth person in the car.

Karen

Not that my opinion matters much since I'm not a tech, but I would wait for the sticker or at least an official bulletin.
Good call. I talked to two other people at SK yesterday that obviously knew of the 40lb thing, so I don't think it is just Russ, but I would like something official.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I asked if they'll be sending out new stickers, issuing an official statement on their website, or giving out letters on company letterhead.

They really do need to do something official other than mentioning by email to a few people. They need to put an official statement on the website and mail letters to all registered owners of affected seats.

But did they even do any of this when they upped the RF limit to 35 lbs.? I know they (eventually) updated the stickers on new seats (didn't they?) but did they do all the other official stuff mentioned here? :confused: They never sent out new stickers to owners of existing seats.

skylinphoto

I don't think it's crazy to want the sticker or manual.
I ordered an xt for my 3 yr old. He's small and far from the 35lb limit radian seats 'used' to have anyway. But, I would be ..and am..leary of using the seat to 40lbs without proper publication..be it stickers, manual, announcement on website, etc. I don't doubt it's true, I just want to see something official to feel comfortable with it. I've got a while to worry about that though. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC