Should I email this seller?

ADS

Dillipop

One SMALL piece is missing? Like the LARGE head wings that are integral to making the seat safe in side impacts? Totally email the seller and if it doesn't get removed, try contacting ebay. That is not a safe seat!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
In his listing--it says he assumes full responsibility for the listing and the item offered.

So when some kid dies because it doesn't have head protection the parents can sue HIM.

Susan

Yoshi

I e-mailed him, too. Here is what I wrote:
"I believe that the side impact wings that are missing ARE an integral safety feature of this seat, and selling it without them makes this seat unsafe for the buyer. If a child in a seatbelt in this seat was involved in a side-impact collision, they could sustain serious neck/head injuries. Please take this information to heart. Thank you."
I didn't want to tell him outright to remove it, but we'll see what he does, then we can report it?

lovinwaves

THis may be a silly question, but this seat is partially expensive because of the SIP wings. If someone doesn't want the wings then they don't have to use them do they? There are lots of kids in boosters without SIP Wings, right? So you get what you pay for? This is would be just as safe as any other booster without wings wouldn't it? A highback booster does not have to wings legally does it?

Splash

I was thinking something along those lines, but the issue with that booster is head support. You cannot adjust the back up (only the head rest) so there is no head support in that booster at all, which IS unsafe.
No, there is no requirement to have side impact protection.

lovinwaves

I was thinking something along those lines, but the issue with that booster is head support. You cannot adjust the back up (only the head rest) so there is no head support in that booster at all, which IS unsafe.
No, there is no requirement to have side impact protection.

Thank you for that answer. Ok that totally makes sense then. I just didn't understand how that seat worked exactly...:)

Hopefully he will remove it from Ebay.

Michi

She wrote back to me - she said that she agreed it was important, and that she changed the description and said that you could buy it seperately.

Yoshi

I bet no one in will buy it anyway....Even if technically, a booster doesn't "need" SIP, this one COMES with it, and altering the seat would ceratinly cause it and the occupant to react differently in a crash, not as it was tested. I'm sure Recaro would say do not use w/out SIP wings.

Morganthe

Ummm, please don't be so harsh with this individual. Nothing was removed from this Recaro. In fact, I just checked my 2006 Start. The head support is completely one piece with the rest of the frame. Impossible to detach.

I believe this is the earlier first design before they put the side wings into the headrest in 2005. I saw these several years ago online whilst researching car seats available in Germany. In fact, I just located another one at ebay also in Germany.
http://cgi.ebay.de/Auto-Kindersitz-...1QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47673QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I still wouldn't want to purchase it, but it is complete as it has always been. The owner is not trying to sell something broken.
regards
:)

Morganthe

The recaro(just the start?) was(or is still?) done with babytrend, and you use to be able to buy it with speakers, as in to listen to music. Maybe that is the 'headset' that she meant?http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/babyant_1923_25660949
http://www.babytrend.com/carseats/Recarocarseat.htm (notice the display is of the recaro up to date but in the demo pics it is the older one with no wings on the head).
Personally, I think the speakers are a new feature for the latest model and weren't available for the first version. I found 3 other ebays that were selling the separate headrests and they just look like earmuffs too -- no speakers or hookups mentioned.

But I got this blurb from the second link:
"In recent European car seat crash test performed by a major motor sports magazine, the Recaro Start was the only seat that received a total recommended use rating for both age categories."

I want to know -- Who tested and where can I see the results????
Re: the 'both age categories' -- was the younger category using the impact cushion or not?

Reason I ask is I located the AA crash testing summary online yesterday for 2004 for the Recaro Start " "use of the impact cushion for children 9-18kg makes it safer"
(I did think it was humorous that "heavy seat" was a plus AND a negative factor in their ratings :rolleyes: )

Since the impact cushion is not available for purchase in the US, in fact, those at Recaro USA have no idea what I'm talking about even when I direct them to the mirror UK, French, & German sites. :confused: Recaro USA has already basically told me that US testing is more stringent than EU. I want documentation that they are selling a product that is not being used for smaller & younger weights as the original European design & testing advises. EVERY UK & German site I visited and comments on usage all said the same that the 'Impact cushion was highly recomended or necessary for children under 41lbs' by Recaro. But so far, other than the AA document, I didn't find any actual test results.

Any ideas about the wierdness?

LuvBug

the speakers were on the older model when it was still marketed as the baby trend recaro instead of just recaro. I couldnt find a picture of it but it was only a guess to how she used the word 'headset'.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC