Extremely OT: Random stuff

ccjones

This is really random, but I've been getting alot of questions about this stuff at work lately for some reason, so I thought it might be useful for some of you on this board.

Two things:
First, DH and I bought one of those Sleep Number beds a few months ago. You might have seen the commercials for them on TV, but I just wanted to let you all know we have one in case any of you have been considering buying one and have any questions about it. We didn't know anyone who had one when we bought ours, so we we're kinda flying blind.

Also, I am currently wearing those clear, removable braces called Invisalign. My teeth weren't too crooked, since I had braces when I was a teenager :eek: , but I had a snaggletooth that was threatening to become a root canal if I didn't do something to straighten it out. So, if anyone has been considering Invisalign for themselves or for their older children and you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

ADS

Lilsid

We have a Sleep Number bed too. I love it we have had it for 2.5 years. We got it when I was pregnant. We had a Queen size bed and Poor DH was living on the edge and I was not comfortable at all, so we settled on a King Sleep Number bed. Its still great and I have never had any trouble with it.

One morning DH had already left for work and I was 8 months pregnant and sleeping in. I woke up and I could not get up or roll over or anything. I was stuck in the bed, I couldn’t reach the phone and I had to Pee bad. I had the bed set on 20 and was snuggled in all night. I finally realized I could pump up the bed to get out and so I did. That was the only thing that has ever happened to me with the bed. I had Pregnant Brain so it took a few frantic minutes to figure out my exit strategy.

ccjones

We have a king-sized sleep number, too. DH keeps his side around 15-20, and I used to keep my side around 75 because I like a firm mattress. However, I was open to experimenting, and I've found that my back feels better when I keep my side at 30! LOL I never would have guessed I could sleep on a soft mattress.

Morganthe

Never came across one of the sleep numbered beds.... but we spent holiday at a rental cottage where we slept on an ancient tiny double bed that had French foam mattresses. Neither of us had back spasms and I wasn't bothered by my dh's nightly floppy fish imitation. I was pregnant and I could finally get some sleep!! The Beautyrest 'do not disturb' bedset of ours had been killing us for the previous year. Couldn't figure out what would work after that one. So we took a chance and ordered a Temperpedic (sp?) foam bed.
Very expensive even through AAFES, but it's been worth it. I've had it for almost 3 years and it's great for us. Dh had back surgery 8-9 years ago and it's the only bed that doesn't hurt him after 8 hours sleeping. He stays pretty well in one spot and doesn't flail around as he's done most of his life. My shoulder doesn't get sore anymore when I sleep on my side and my lower back no longer has spasms. Now that dd sleeps through 98% of the nights, I'm getting the best sleep EVER! So I'd recommend it any day. :D

It's the older model, so the mattress is only 8 inches deep + the box springs. Simple, easy, and doesn't take up much room even though its a King sized bed. I see these popular THICK mattresses and HUGE bed frames these days and I wonder if people need steps or ladders to mount their beds each night. They're so high up. Princess & the Pea always comes to mind every time I go through a furniture store. :p

Yoshi

DH had a business trip last summer to Cape Cod, so DD and I tagged along- our hotel (Radisson?) had those King sized sleep number beds and it was THE BEST BED I HAVE EVER SLEPT ON!!! Am I correct, though, that there are different versions of sleep number beds and they range from affordable, to way way expensive? I think the hotel ones are the really pricey ones- that way you get spoiled and only want the BEST version! What does a middle of the road one cost, if it's ok to ask?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I had braces for 7 years -- & I still have a stray crooked tooth + overbite.... I have TMJ now because of the braces (apparently it turns out my "orthodontist" was never qualified to do braces & screwed me up even more as well as many others :eek: :mad: ) 3 second oppinions later I'm still waiting to afford oral surgery for my jaw & then they all tell me I'll need braces again afterwards *SIGH* Well, I can deal with the pain, but what I'd give for Lumineers! :eek:

ccjones

What does a middle of the road one cost, if it's ok to ask?

Yes, it is the Radisson that has Sleep Number beds, but I'm not sure what style bed they have in their rooms.

It's fine with me for you to ask! We bought a king-size Sleep Number 7000 bed and foundation (equivalent of a box spring), with dual air chambers and a wireless remote for about $3,000.

Now, that sounds like alot, but if you have you ever priced high-end Sealy or Serta mattresses and box springs, it ends up being the about the same price. Plus, I financed through Sleep Number, and I got 15 months of no payments and no interest!

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
We will be in the market for a new bed in a few months when we move...I'd LOVE to get a sleep number bed. Unfortunantly, we'll probably have to go much cheaper.

I want invisalign SO BAD! I also had braces, but I didn't wear my retainer much after I got them off and my teeth are just as bad or worse than they were when I got braces (not bad by most standards, but I hate them!) I was going to get a new retainer (my old one broke) and just start wearing it but then I found out my old Orthodontist died a few years ago.

What kind of price range are you looking at for invisalign?

ccjones

We will be in the market for a new bed in a few months when we move...I'd LOVE to get a sleep number bed. Unfortunantly, we'll probably have to go much cheaper.

What kind of price range are you looking at for invisalign?

You might want to check out the Sleep Number website, or try out the different beds if you have a store in a mall near you before you rule it out completely. ALL styles of their beds are extremely comfortable! The higher-end styles basically come with a thicket pillowtop, and the foam used in the pillowtop is like a memory foam instead of regular foam. I would have gotten a more basic model myself, but DH LOVES his thick pillowtop, so we compromised on the 7000 series.

My dental insurance covered $1850 of my Invisalign, and I owed $1938 out-of-pocket. Definitely more pricey than traditional metal-and-wire braces, but I love the convenience of being able to take them out to brush my teeth and eat.

Since I work full-time and DS is in daycare, I put the $5000 pre-tax maximum away in a daycare flex account each year through my job. When I get the $5000 back after I've already paid out-of-pocket for my son's daycare, I can spend the money on whatever I want. So, I used that money to pay for my Invisalign and the Sleep Number bed.

lovinwaves

I had braces for 7 years -- & I still have a stray crooked tooth + overbite.... I have TMJ now because of the braces (apparently it turns out my "orthodontist" was never qualified to do braces & screwed me up even more as well as many other 3 second oppinions later I'm still waiting to afford oral surgery for my jaw & then they all tell me I'll need braces again afterwards *SIGH* Well, I can deal with the pain, but what I'd give for

Tiffany, my mom had a very large overbite, and TMJ also. She has jaw surgery to correct it. They put metal plates in her jaw. Unfortunately, she was one of the few that has lost all sensation in her chin and lower mouth area. So sometimes I have to tell her she has food on her face, because she can't feel it :rolleyes:

She says that surgery was one of the best things she has ever done. Oh yeah, and she had her nose done at the same time also :eek:

Lilsid

It's fine with me for you to ask! We bought a king-size Sleep Number 7000 bed and foundation (equivalent of a box spring), with dual air chambers and a wireless remote for about $3,000.

Now, that sounds like alot, but if you have you ever priced high-end Sealy or Serta mattresses and box springs, it ends up being the about the same price. Plus, I financed through Sleep Number, and I got 15 months of no payments and no interest!

We have the same a King 7000 it was the most comfortable for us. We got in on a sale and it was $2200 for everything including delivery. What I really liked was that the beds are made to order. You place the order with what Series you want, what cover you want the type of foam you want and then in 4 days it’s at your door in 5-6 boxes and you put it together. It’s the best bed we have ever had. Now if we can find pillows we like or that last more than a few months I would be so happy.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oi, think I'd almost rather continue a "soft-chew" diet & relaxation exercises for the pain than be numb :eek:

Nose job, like how: for nasal passages or for aesthetics :confused:

If I were the type of gal to get surgery just for the #e!! of it, I might think about getting breast & butt implants :p But ... I'm so not that kinda gal, LOL!

My dad had to have surgery on his nasal passages (YUCK) *blech*

lovinwaves

DO NOT read if you have a weak stomach!!

My mom had the whole nose job thing. She got to actually pick out a nose..weird!! They also removed a couple of moles while they were at it on her cheek/nose area. She has broken her nose 3 times in her life. She was having troubles breathing, so they said well we can fix that too while we are in there. It's a long story, but she woke up during surgery with her whole flap of her nose on top of her forehead. eewww!!! She heard the doctor saying something like "SHE IS AWAKE" "DO SOMETHING"!! They denied it completely!! I guess this kind of things happens alot.

Anywhoooooo....she still has problems breathing still to this day because of tissue build up from the surgery, but overall is much better than she use to be. She said that numbness things only happens to a small percentage of people. She would rather have the numbness then deal with the huge overbite, and TMJ. She looked like a totally different person after her surgery...for the better :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I guess if the overbite starts to make my chin blend in with my neck more, I wouldn't worry about the numbness, but eeeeeh, not yet :rolleyes: Glad to hear she's happy with it, though! That's what's important :D I woke up during a procedure once that might be too embarrassing to discuss :p

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
Ug, TMJ. I have it to. It bites (no pun intended!)

Thanks for the info!! We will definitely look further into sleep number beds when we are ready to buy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC