Keyfit or Snugride 32??

flick37

I have narrowed down my infant seat choices to the keyfit or the snugride 32.

This is what I see as the pros and cons:

Keyfit

Pros

* I have seen the video of an install and it is SUPER easy, which is a huge factor in my decision making

Cons

only goes to 22 lbs

Snugride 32

Pros

Goes to 32 lbs

Cons

Hmm, not sure how it installs compared to the keyfit

Does anyone know how much either seat weighs?

I was thinking I could have 2 bases, one for each vehicle, and DD can keep using her MA and TF until the Snugride 32 is outgrown

BUT, I have been wondering about the whole 32 lbs in a bucket/infant seat...is it that comfortable for an older child? My dd (32 months) is just hitting 33 lbs and I could NOT imagine her in a bucket seat. Do people actually use the infant seats to the 32 lb limit, or is that mainly for bigger babies (my friend's son was over 30lbs at a year, so he would have been a good candidate for a higher weight limit infant seat).

Also, I recall a couple of years ago that, I think it was Consumer Reports, tested a bunch of infant seats and most failed, though Graco Snugride was considered a good seat. Was there any validity to this study?

One last question...I have heard that the Safeseat 1 straps dig in on the baby at the shoulders, and I have heard that the SR 32 is basically the SS1...does this problem of the straps exist with the SR32?

Thanks!!! :D

ADS

sparkyd

I don't have any personal experience using either of these seats, but I do know that the bases for both are really easy to install. From what I've read around here, I'd say it is rare for a child to use the 32 lb seat all the way to the weight limit. But the upside is you get to choose when to stop using it as opposed to being forced to switch earlier than you'd like if you've got a big babe. I've got a regular SnugRide (same limits as the Keyfit) and my only hesitation in switching to the 32 for #2 (other than the expense) is that they are bigger and heavier and I'm not sure if that would get on my nerves in certain situations or not given that I'm already used to the smaller seat. Can't say I've seen any complaints about them here though.

As for the CR thing, there were issues with the testing they did which I believe they conceded to after the controversy. I'll let someone else chime in on that one though!

featherhead

You can add one more pro to the Keyfit... it fits newborns very well. My dd is 3 months and 14.5 lbs and I just stopped using the Keyfit. I loved it, but my arm was just about falling off from carrying her. I don't really like just leaving the infant seat in the car, cause it seems harder to get a baby in an infant seat than in a convertible when it is left in the car. So I just switched her to an EFTA. For me I really wouldn't get the extra use out of the Safeseat (or SR32) so for me it is pointless. But many people love it, especially to get through an extra winter.

AWW

We used a SS1 with my daughter and I loved it. She's small and skinny, and we had her in the SS1 until she was 16 months - then we moved her to a convertible seat RFing because I felt a little weird having my walking child in an infant carrier and the convertible just seemed like it would be more comfortable then. It was great in the winter though when I was running errands since I would just throw the carseat on a stroller for quick jaunts into stores if it was super cold out instead of fiddling with taking her in and out of a carseat.
When my son was born I discovered that the SS1 didn't fit him so well. My son was around 6 lbs leaving the hospital and the seat was too big for him - the buckles literally touched each other and then his chin. We swapped the SS1 for a Snugride my friend had - she needed a higher height carrier for her son anyways so it worked out. The SS1 is a bit heavier than the Snugride but you will be able to use it longer.
I've installed the SS1 in my old car ('94 Dodge Spirit) and our current vehicle ('06 Grand Caravan) without a problem. The base has a built in lock off, and it's just a knob to turn to adjust the base for the seat angle.

April

It completely depends on how long you want to use the bucket. 6-8 months - get the Keyfit. 12 months + get the SR32.

It also depends what size of a newborn we're talking about. If its going to be a less than 7-9 lb baby, the SR32 will likely to big for awhile.

Oh, and for the record, the SR32 IS the Safeseat. They added a lb to the weight limit, and everything else is the same.

Disregard anything and everything you've ever heard about car seats from Consumer Reports. Here's why:

http://www.car-safety.org/guide.html#cr
http://www.carseatsite.com/cr.htm

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC