Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Rear facing in small car

I currently have a 93 pontiac grand am. Sunshine Radian fits rear facing but barely. Is britax marathon smaller? I was thinking of buying of buying a newer pontiac-sunfire, grand am, grand prix or chevy-cavalier, malibu. What would fit? I would like a britax, maybe the graco my ride 65? anything else? thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Rear facing in small car

Everything else would fit. The Radian takes up about as much room front to back as a seat can.

I'd look at the True Fit and My Ride before the Marathon. How old is your Radian? If it's made after 9/08 is now has a 40 pound rear facing limit and a very tall shell and I wouldn't change a thing.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Yup, like Wendy said, the radian takes up probably the most room RFing (front to back). Most seats will take up less room, so you're pretty free to choose any seat.

And, I wouldn't waste my money on a Marathon either. It may be just my opinion - but there are SO many seats out there better than Britax that also cost a LOT less.

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Everything else would fit. The Radian takes up about as much room front to back as a seat can.

I'd look at the True Fit and My Ride before the Marathon. How old is your Radian? If it's made after 9/08 is now has a 40 pound rear facing limit and a very tall shell and I wouldn't change a thing.

Wendy
    I think our radian is january or february of 08. Thats why we bought a Cosco Scenero for the day care and my 4 1/2 yr old uses the Radian instead of the day care kids.
    Eliana-Elizabeth 2/19/12 in Britax Boulevard and Cosco Scenera. Baby #2 due in June 2013

I wouldn't get a Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier. Check out the safety ratings on it.

Someone in your family work for GM or something?

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
    I wouldn't get a Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier. Check out the safety ratings on it.

Someone in your family work for GM or something?
    Ford means found on road dead and i'm constantly hearing about mechanical problems with dodge, chryster, and ford. i like small cars from gm and safe car seats.
    Eliana-Elizabeth 2/19/12 in Britax Boulevard and Cosco Scenera. Baby #2 due in June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by switchfoot52 View Post
    Ford means found on road dead and i'm constantly hearing about mechanical problems with dodge, chryster, and ford. i like small cars from gm and safe car seats.
    Oh there are all sorts of FORD acronyms out there...and they were well deserved in the 80s.

But really, they have gotten much better. There was a recent study done and it was found that in general American cars did not have that many more mechanical problems then foriegn cars.

That being said, I do own 2 japanese cars.

Hey, have you heard my Harley joke????

90% of all Harleys made are still on the road today.

The rest of them made it home safely.

Switchfoot, we do have a car safety forum here as well if you need some help or advice picking out a "new" car. Feel free to use our resources LOL.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Quote Originally Posted by switchfoot52 View Post
    Haha, my dad refers to Ford as Fix Or Repair Daily after our Aerostar gave us fits.

However, it's better to break down than to be dead. GM has some SCARY cars safety wise.