I'm jealous of all of you with small kids

jb5416

My 28 month-old is currently rf in a TF. He's right around 32 to 34 lbs (depending on clothes, diaper status, etc.) and ridiculously tall. Following the announcement from SK I got him a Radian XT and guess what--he had only about an inch rf in that seat. So the XT went back, he's almost too heavy for the TF, too tall for the MR, and I am out of options. I won't weigh him every day--we don't even own a scale. I think pretty soon I'm just going to have to turn him and call it a day. You guys with tiny kids are so lucky.
Jessie

ADS

Maedze

Hey :)

Are you sure you were measuring correctly? Even a huge 2 year old should have plenty of rearfacing room in a Radian. Could you maybe post a picture to show? (You can have him turn his face or block it out for privacy)

NannyMom

I agree. You may have measured wrong. My 6 year old is still well under 1 inch. And I think my 9 year old is close to 1 inch, or slightly over for RF. And they are both 50-55 pounds.

Maedze

Are you familiar with how to measure a rearfacing seat? I've heard parents say that and it turns out they just don't know how to measure.

While you never say never, it would be nearly impossible for a one year old to have so little room in a Radian. I would love to see a photograph :)

katieinqc

I'm pretty sure I know how from what I've read here (but not positive). I also separately measured the top of his head when he was sitting on a hard floor and got 22". He's napping now, but I'll try to get a pic later - the seat's in the house so it won't be installed but should still give an idea.

katieinqc

Just to check - you mean the pic should be fairly level to the floor, right? Does it matter if I just sit him in it or should I lean it against the sofa to simulate a RF install? Thanks.

Maedze

Yeah...try to keep the camera some what parallel with the floor . And you want the seat more or less at the angle it would be in the car, but don't worry too much about that :thumbsup:

jb5416

I know how to measure rf room--problem is that baby boy is 40 inches tall already. He still fits in the XT, but only with 2 inches above his head. Not enough growing room to justify spending that much money because it would be outgrown in 1 inch. Elijah is unusually huge, at least length-wise.:(
Jessie

Shaunam

Did you actually install it in the car, set the straps to the position just below his shoulders and tighten them?

My son tends to "shrink" once I actually put him in rf'ing.

Here's what he looks like in the radian:

FF'ing with straps above shoulder.
0410091156a.jpg

RF'ing with straps below shoulder.
0629092008b.jpg

It makes a difference to install it in the car how you would use it.

He's 40 lbs and 42" by the way.

emandbri

I happen to have a rear-facing and forward facing radian in my van. I just tried Benjamin in both he will be 6 next month is 48 inches and 48 lbs. Forward facing he is right at the top of the seat and rear-facing has an inch and a half! :eek:

Shauna, he is so cute and his short hair has grown on me! lol

katieinqc

Here's some of my son (reclined but not installed, and straps not moved down).

*OK, that didn't work somehow. Let me keep trying.*

katieinqc

Sorry; I've never posted pics before. I tried to add them using "Manage Attachments" in the "Additional Options" - is that different from the way you mentioned? I tried again and still nothings shows up. If there's a better way, could you please explain how I do that? Thanks.

*Never mind; got it!*

Maedze

Oh my gosh, look at dem beautiful cheeks and curls...i just want to NOM him through the computer :love:

Down to bidness.....yes...he's tall torsoed. But don't worry. You've got about 4-5" of shell clearance above his head, meaning anywhere from three to four years before you even need to think about being too tall to rear face :)

Shaunam

Oh my gosh, look at dem beautiful cheeks and curls...i just want to NOM him through the computer :love:

Down to bidness.....yes...he's tall torsoed. But don't worry. You've got about 4-5" of shell clearance above his head, meaning anywhere from three to four years before you even need to think about being too tall to rear face :)

Yes, he has quite a bit of room over his head. And don't worry, kids DO tend to sprout more in the legs at this age. My son was one of those with a *massive* torso. He was wearing 4T shirts at 18 months and only wears a 5T now, over 3 years later.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC