What is this on the cottonbabies website?

ADS

Stretchy Glue

Actually, many tether anchors have a limit of 40 lbs, but most of us still feel safe using the tether anchor beyond because of it's purpose. Since it doesn't "hold" the entire seat, just reduces movement, the risk of using it past the limit is worth taking.:twocents:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The general statement regarding tether anchor limits is that if an anchor were to fail, it would have already done it's job and minimized movement of the seat by the time it failed.

What I can tell you, is that Canada has had 48lb limit seats for a good decade now, and top tethering is mandatory in Canada. We have no history of tether anchor failure when the top tether is attached as directed to the vehicle manufacturer's specified tether anchor. 65lb limits have been in Canada for a couple years now, so there is less history to go on for the weights over 48lbs, but at this point anyways, we're not seeing failures. We do still recommend switching from the lower anchors to seatbelt at 48lbs though based on information from Transport Canada. :thumbsup:

GM vehicles are limited to 40 lbs. That's the only one I have memorized since that's what 100% of my family has.

48lbs when used with LATCH. :thumbsup:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
We tend to ignore top tether limits just like we ignore stated height limits, but both are technically misuse and (IME) this should be explained to parents.

Maedze

Every car and car seat that has a lower anchor limit has a top anchor limit too. For reasons all ready mentioned, most safety organizations advise ignoring the top tether limit and using it for all forward facing installations.

NannyMom

We tend to ignore top tether limits just like we ignore stated height limits, but both are technically misuse and (IME) this should be explained to parents.

I know when we initially had J's GN installed, we were given the warning. That's something I need to remember to do.

emandbri

Are there any that have limits above 48 lbs? What are they on my 2004 sienna?

I find it very odd that there are seats that require a tether to be used after a certain weight if the tethers themselves aren't certified.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Are there any that have limits above 48 lbs? What are they on my 2004 sienna?

I find it very odd that there are seats that require a tether to be used after a certain weight if the tethers themselves aren't certified.

One more example of the shortfalls of the current state of LATCH and why we need a major update of the whole system.

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I remember being shocked to see in my 98 Taurus manual (which I had to have retrofitted) saying that tether anchors were to be used up to 60lbs (?) for carseats and could be used up to 80lbs with vests/harnesses. These were for the factory installed tethers in the 96-99 Taurus wagons. I believe my 02 Taurus has similar wording.

April

I remember being shocked to see in my 98 Taurus manual (which I had to have retrofitted) saying that tether anchors were to be used up to 60lbs (?) for carseats and could be used up to 80lbs with vests/harnesses. These were for the factory installed tethers in the 96-99 Taurus wagons. I believe my 02 Taurus has similar wording.

Are you serious?! You mean I just installed a heavy duty TA in an 89 Mustang to use with the 86Y and my 60lb DD for no reason?!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC