Should I move him out of the infant seat?

Splash

Sam is 7 months, 21 pounds, no clue on length but he's pretty long. Using second slots on SS1. He seems comfortable enough and fits fine. But it's getting difficult to buckle/unbuckle him because he's pretty wide and it's pretty narrow. But I'm mostly considering it because he's trying to sit up in it all the time. He's constantly picking his head up to look around. I don't know that he wants to sit up so much as he wants to see out the side, which he can't do because it's so deep. He's always looking at brother, of course.
We very very rarely take the bucket out of the car. He can almost sit up by himself (he can mostly maintain the position, but he can't get there on his own) so it's not needed in restaurants or the store. Even when he's sleeping, we still take him out of the seat.

So since we're not using it as a carrier, and he's trying to see out the side, should I just move him? I have a BV to move him into, but I wonder if he'll get upset he can't see out the side. He's not unhappy in the SS1. The only real downside to moving him is that they'd have to change positions in the van if I want to tether the BV. I have a dedicated TA on the passenger side (for some reason, the front seat has a TA) but I can't even use the d-ring on the driver side. So Charlie would have to move behind the driver and I don't know that he'd take to it too well (or he might not care at all).

It would clear up some space in my house. If I did that and then sold the FN, I'd have no seats on my seat shelf!

ADS

MJHY27

I went through the same thing with my son around that age and although he was comfy in his SS and the seat itself did not seem to cause any trouble I still thought he would be happier in a convertable so he could see stuff better. However, I did end up keeping him in the safe seat until 14 months. My reason was that I had paid the extra and put up with lugging around the bigger seat when he was an infant just so that I could keep him in it after his first birthday and didn't want it to feel like I was wasting all that time I could be using the seat. If that makes any sense! I'm big on getting my moneys worth out of stuff ;)

2BunniesMommy

I moved DD2 from her SS1 at about 4mo. I just don't like infant seats that much and I did want to use the tether. I also have the TA on the front seat. Do you have a Freestar? Oh yeah, I couldn't use the D ring either.

abigaylebelle

I would try the boulevard and see what he thinks about it. We recently ran into the same deal with the ss1, ds wants to be more upright than it allows. Plus the straps around the arms are kind of short due to the crotch buckle length so it would always take a minute to get the straps right. Maybe hang on to the ss1 in case he wants to ride in it later or you need it for an extra.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We ditched Anna's SS1 for the Coccoro when she was 6 weeks old, so I say yes. I just didn't feel the love with the SS1.

Mama Jo

I moved Elias to the BV as soon as I could and he is so much happier in it. He can see out the window just fine. And the fact that it's so much more upright makes him much more comfortable.

And the SS makes a great back-up seat because it's so easy to install in practically any vehicle. So you don't have to get rid of it just yet... ;)

Pixels

Why don't you give it a try? Install the BV on the driver's side temporarily, for one ride. It won't be RFing tethered but it's still safe. If Sam seems to like it, or doesn't hate it, make it permanent and have the boys switch sides so you can tether, if you want it tethered.

NannyMom

We're considering moving BabyS out of the SS1 (again) now too. She always wants to sit up. I have the SS1 more upright, but it's still hard. She wants to sit straight up :rolleyes: Except I don't have a BV for her, I have a Titan or TF.

I say move him and see how he likes it. If he doesn't, you can always put him back in the SS1.

mimieliza

We moved M out of the SS1 at 10 months. She was very happy in her Boulevard. Like a PP mentioned, we continued to use the SS1 as a spare seat for a long time because it was so easy to install and great for travel.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just want to add that when my ds went through that stage and was still trying to lift his head up when the seat was as upright as I was willing to put it, I reclined it more and put it closer to a 45* angle. It actually stopped him from trying to sit up in it.

I love the harness on the SS1. I took ds out of the SS1 before he outgrew it only because I was itching to switch seats, but I really missed how easy it was to buckle and unbuckle him in the SS1. (We were leaving it in the truck all the time too.)

So I guess I'm not much help - you can try it and see what he thinks... it could just be a stage that he's trying to sit up though.

(The person who mentioned short shoulder straps, did you lengthen the hip loops and use the longer loops on the shoulder straps? The harness becomes long enough when that's done. :thumbsup: )

Splash

Oh the harness is plenty long enough. He's just a wide little baby and it's a narrow little seat. I have the same issue in the Coccoro but I am willing to deal with that because I love the way that seat fits in my car.
We really like the SS1, no doubt about it. It's a fab seat. And if I didn't already have a convertible, I wouldn't even consider moving him out at this time. But since I don't have to buy anything else, it's makes it easier. Maybe too easy.

Splash

Oh the RA is gone, so I don't know if it would have fixed itself. His shoulders are pretty sloped, though, so maybe not.
I know he loves the BV, it was his first CRS love. I put him in one in my car before a month old. I've since sold that one, but I have one more that I was holding for AJ's car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC