Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Need helpd with special needs child school transportation

My son (3.5, just hitting top slots of Scenera) is transported to school 2x a week by the district. He rides in either a minivan or a minibus, in a Cosco HBB (I think that's what they are) with the harness. Obviously he's about to be too big for the Cosco as well--and I have no idea how old the thing is. (shudder)

What are our rights AFA safe/appropriate seating on the bus? The transport co called at the beginning of summer session to ask his weight, but not about height. Can I insist they buy a new harnessed seat? I assume it should go in his IEP that he needs to be harnessed?

Also, he frequently comes home with the harness pretty loose I have asked the teacher and she said she would remind the aides, but it keeps happening. Do I just keep reminding and being the squeaky wheel?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Need helpd with special needs child school transportation

Having gone through very similar trouble, I can say that you MUST be the squeaky wheel. You contact the head of transportation. You contact the teacher and the director of the school program. If necessary, you contact the police department.

And yes, you do need to stand up and advocate for your child wrt an appropriately sized seat.

I assume contacting the police would be if I get nowhere with trans or school?
    What would be a reasonable suggestion for an appropriately sized seat? For now in our car he's in a Triumph (not Advance, just regular). I mean, I have a hard time believing they will spring for a Regent

Senior Community Member

The Scenera has taller top slots than the Cosco HBB, so if he is at the top slots of the Scenera, then he is over the top slots of the CHBB.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

Quote Originally Posted by mama a llama View Post
    I assume contacting the police would be if I get nowhere with trans or school?
    What would be a reasonable suggestion for an appropriately sized seat? For now in our car he's in a Triumph (not Advance, just regular). I mean, I have a hard time believing they will spring for a Regent
    see if you can get the district to purchase one of these (or several...they are wonderful!)

I believe they are made by safeguard. I dont think they were too expensive either.
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...22 and driving! Skylar- 17yrs-and also driving! Molly-14 yrs -70+ pounds passing the 5 step test and Avery -10 yrs - 55+ pounds, riding in a redd performance sport booster.

Quote Originally Posted by mama a llama View Post
    My son (3.5, just hitting top slots of Scenera) is transported to school 2x a week by the district. He rides in either a minivan or a minibus, in a Cosco HBB (I think that's what they are) with the harness. Obviously he's about to be too big for the Cosco as well--and I have no idea how old the thing is. (shudder)

What are our rights AFA safe/appropriate seating on the bus? The transport co called at the beginning of summer session to ask his weight, but not about height. Can I insist they buy a new harnessed seat? I assume it should go in his IEP that he needs to be harnessed?

Also, he frequently comes home with the harness pretty loose I have asked the teacher and she said she would remind the aides, but it keeps happening. Do I just keep reminding and being the squeaky wheel?
    Can you possibly transport your child yourself? I have two children in special education (a 3.5 yo and a 6 yo). Our school district in Northern Calif. must provide transportation for children in special education programs. (They DON'T provide bus transportation for typical children.)
    However we opt out of the bus and take them ourselves. It is written into both IEP's. The Sch district then reimburses us monthly (something like 52 cents a mile). I personally would rather drive my kids to school and get paid for it! I have seen scary looking carseats in those special ed vans/buses.
    It makes for a busy day, I have 4 kids in 3 schools, but it works for us.

Ooh, the STAR things! I was just showing my DH those yesterday, I thought they were so cool!
    AFA transporting him ourselves, he goes out of district, so it's an awfully far drive to make with my other kids. I might consider it if I can't find another reasonable solution.

I hope you can get them to work with you. Our school district just uses the lapbelt with its special education preschoolers. My yds doctors were shocked when they found out and did not want him riding the bus due to this. He started preschool right after his 3rd birthday. What 3 year old can sit properly just using a seat belt??

CPS Technician

Another STAR seat fan here. My district also uses vests (BESI, similar to E-Z-On) and built-ins (White). The STAR seats are the easiest to use and fit the widest range of kids. They can only be used on busses.

I HATE the built-in seats. They don't fit a whole lot of kids very well and they seem to have a lot of problems with tightening -- they just don't sometimes.

Good luck getting safe transportation!

Tina