WWYD? 7.5 yr old and booster

sunnyflower417

My son came to me and asked me if I could make his GN a booster. He is 48lbs and will be 8 in October. I said Ok, and instructed him how he has to sit, that he has to buckle in the seat when he gets out, how to lock the seat belt, etc, etc. I have caught him several times turning around in his seat to look out the back window. I have lectured him, tried to explain in his language how unsafe it is. I would like to keep him boostered but I told him if I catch him turning around I am going to put the harness back in. Does anyone have any ideas on how to discourage him from turning around? Thank you.

ADS

Maedze

I think he's plenty old enough to understand. Next time you go on a car trip, bring the harness with you. Any monkey business, pull over on the side of the road, reassemble the seat and make him ride harnessed. That should be enough to get the message across.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Is this his first time in a booster, or has he been properly booster trained?

ya, that?
even a child who is well above old enough, like yours at 8, might have a hard time not fidgeting simply because they are used to being physically prevented from moving, and have not yet taught themselves how to resist their impulses. It takes some time to get used to remembering NOT to move around. you dont have to think about it in a harness, because you CAN'T move.
Usually by about 5-6, most of us start "booster-training" our kids, which genreally means short rides in a booster, some times with it "locked", to get them used to the freedom and responsibility. It happens over time, with gentle reminders about sitting correctly, etc.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
ya, that?
even a child who is well above old enough, like yours at 8, might have a hard time not fidgeting simply because they are used to being physically prevented from moving, and have not yet taught themselves how to resist their impulses. It takes some time to get used to remembering NOT to move around. you dont have to think about it in a harness, because you CAN'T move.
Usually by about 5-6, most of us start "booster-training" our kids, which genreally means short rides in a booster, some times with it "locked", to get them used to the freedom and responsibility. It happens over time, with gentle reminders about sitting correctly, etc.

Yes. It's why I advocate starting to booster train at 4 AND 40, just around the block, or a less than 5 minute ride for the first few months, gradually increasing the time in the booster over a period of a couple of years, that way, when they do transition to full-time booster use, there are few, if any behavior problems or reminders needed.

sunnyflower417

Thank you all! I never booster trained him. I will just have to keep reminding him. He is also my look out for the RFing 2.5 yr who has just learned how to unclasp the chest clip and remove the harness off his shoulders! I don't want to FF but he keeps doing it. I stop and reprimand him and buckle it back up but I can't see him to watch!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
If you haven't booster trained, then you need to start now.

Short trips only in a booster, if he does well, move onto longer trips - if he can't handle it, put the harness back in for a week and try again.

mommaon112903

This is the exact reason we did not transtion Josef directly out of his Regent into a booster. Even though he had room left in the GN I was not going to put him in a harness full time one day and the next day full time boostering.

He has always been really great about his booster-he :love: it and only recently has he been moving out of place ever so slightly when coming home from the pool and he is very tired. Last night I was able to show him exactly how to lay his head when he is tired-and we locked the belt again (we had not had to lock the belt in over a month). He layed his head down and went to sleep without getting out of position :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC