Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Community Member steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    970

    Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Okay -

    I was looking at the Acura RDX and Honda CRV -

    I have since added these to my search.....any input would be great (including safety, since some of these have not been rated).


    Lexus RX350
    Acura MDX
    Mazda C9
    Volvo C90
    Nissan Murano
    Honda CRV
    Acura RDX

    I know I am all over the place on this but I want something safe, reliable, big enough for two carseats and a big enough back/trunk for a stroller. I also want something that will be nice to drive (like the reason I'm not diggin the CRV is because of the 4 cylinder engine with no turbo option like the RDX).

    Thanks guys...this is a big decision for me.
    Steph
    Mom to R (5-steps),
    E and A (riding in Nuna Pipas)

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Technician Victorious4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    BrowneSugarRanch
    Posts
    10,712

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    I don't have any experience with those ... but, I loved my Hybrid Escape 30-35+ MPG, side curtain airbags & fit 3 Britaxes (Actually, my 1st pic below is in that vehicle)
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

  4. #3
    CPS Technician TXDani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    I can offer some info on the 07 MDX since I have been researching it and test drove one this weekend. I drove the sport model which has an active damper suspension which gives it a very sporty feeling drive. It also corners great due to the sport suspension and the SH-AWD which is an all new system no other manufacturer offers right now. It also has a comfort mode you can enable by push button which make gives it a more luxurious feel when you don't want the stiff feel of the sport suspension. The car handled great, had pretty good acceleration, and had a beautiful interior (probably similar to the RDX you drove). If you get the entertainment package (dvd/tv) you get the power tailgate which I have on my current car and it is a huge help when you have little ones! The back cargo area was big enough for a couple strollers (jogger and standard) with plenty of room to spare, when the third row seats are up there is considerably less room...but still enough for an umbrella fold stroller (P3 or the like) and groceries. There are tethers on all rear seating positions and LATCH in all three seats in the middle row. Fitting three across was no problem so it would probably be wide enough for two carseats side by side and a person back there comfortably I would assume. Oh and if you get navi there is a backup camera which is a nice safety feature.
    If you have any more specific question I am more then happy to help! Good luck in choosing your next car...it is so fun but sooo hard!

  5. #4
    Senior Community Member steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    970

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Thanks Danielle-

    Right now I am leaning towards the MDX and Lexus RX350...I guess I have to get out there and test drive....ugh I can't stand car sales people. I usually go by myself (to find out what cars I like then bring hubby when I have narrowed it down) and they automatically awesome I am some sort of idiot because I am a woman!!!! Seriously it is such a double standard!!! One guy went into the aesthetic features of the car and I'm like great but can you tell me about the engine, warrantly, service, etc. His mouth dropped to the ground!
    Steph
    Mom to R (5-steps),
    E and A (riding in Nuna Pipas)

  6. #5
    CPS Technician Victorious4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    BrowneSugarRanch
    Posts
    10,712

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Oh, wups, did you say MDX earlier? I think I only noticed RDX....

    My SO had an '05 leather MDX -- I loved it! So comfy, easy to install seats in, sounded good, looked good Just quite expensive Although we'd probably have saved $ if he'd just kept that when his lease ran out (right before my fiasco with the horrible local dealership)
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

  7. #6
    Carseat Crazy adamsmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    outside of St Louis
    Posts
    291

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    I drive a VW Touareg and LOVE it!!! It is one of the smoothest quiteset SUV's I have ever driven. Than back has alot more room than it looks on the outside. I can fit my stroller and tons of shopping bags back there. I 'think' 3 carseats would actually fit in the back. I did not want one. I was totally dead set on a Acura MDX and dh does not like them an talked me into driving the VW. Love at first drive!!

    Dh is a bodyman/painter and does not like the way the MDX is put together.

    My VW does have all kinds of safety features including side airbags.
    Carissa, mommy to Adam 5/19/05 and 53lbs 3'10 riding in a Monterey and GTB And Megan 12/27/07 and 23lbs 33 inches riding rf'ing in a Marathon and Princess Radian in a 09 BMW X5 Diesel and Civic Hybrid. We are officially GREEN

  8. #7
    Carseat Crazy adamsmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    outside of St Louis
    Posts
    291

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Oh if you like the Lexus 350 check out the 400h. We looked at those too, but didn't get a good deal.
    Carissa, mommy to Adam 5/19/05 and 53lbs 3'10 riding in a Monterey and GTB And Megan 12/27/07 and 23lbs 33 inches riding rf'ing in a Marathon and Princess Radian in a 09 BMW X5 Diesel and Civic Hybrid. We are officially GREEN

  9. #8
    CPSDarren - Admin SafeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11,979

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    The Consumer Reports for January is hitting stands now. It has small SUV reviews, including the RDX and CX-7, among others.

  10. #9
    Senior Community Member steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    970

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Quote Originally Posted by adamsmommy View Post
    I drive a VW Touareg and LOVE it!!! It is one of the smoothest quiteset SUV's I have ever driven. Than back has alot more room than it looks on the outside. I can fit my stroller and tons of shopping bags back there. I 'think' 3 carseats would actually fit in the back. I did not want one. I was totally dead set on a Acura MDX and dh does not like them an talked me into driving the VW. Love at first drive!!

    Dh is a bodyman/painter and does not like the way the MDX is put together.

    My VW does have all kinds of safety features including side airbags.
    Have you had any problems with the Touareg? I have heard some people have had some reliability issues.

    Why doesn't DH like the way the MDX is put together? I know it was redesigned for 2007.
    Steph
    Mom to R (5-steps),
    E and A (riding in Nuna Pipas)

  11. #10
    Senior Community Member steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    970

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Quote Originally Posted by thefosters.2 View Post
    I can offer some info on the 07 MDX since I have been researching it and test drove one this weekend. I drove the sport model which has an active damper suspension which gives it a very sporty feeling drive. It also corners great due to the sport suspension and the SH-AWD which is an all new system no other manufacturer offers right now. It also has a comfort mode you can enable by push button which make gives it a more luxurious feel when you don't want the stiff feel of the sport suspension. The car handled great, had pretty good acceleration, and had a beautiful interior (probably similar to the RDX you drove). If you get the entertainment package (dvd/tv) you get the power tailgate which I have on my current car and it is a huge help when you have little ones! The back cargo area was big enough for a couple strollers (jogger and standard) with plenty of room to spare, when the third row seats are up there is considerably less room...but still enough for an umbrella fold stroller (P3 or the like) and groceries. There are tethers on all rear seating positions and LATCH in all three seats in the middle row. Fitting three across was no problem so it would probably be wide enough for two carseats side by side and a person back there comfortably I would assume. Oh and if you get navi there is a backup camera which is a nice safety feature.
    If you have any more specific question I am more then happy to help! Good luck in choosing your next car...it is so fun but sooo hard!
    Danielle-

    Would you say the MDX drove more like a car or did it feel like driving a truck/big SUV? Just wondering because DH Pilot doesn't have the car feel to it and I was really hoping to get that in a SUV, which is why
    I liked the RDX.
    Steph
    Mom to R (5-steps),
    E and A (riding in Nuna Pipas)

  12. #11
    CPS Technician TXDani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Steph~ To me the MDX definitly feels and drives more like a car then an SUV. Everything was very "tight" making it feel like a car...you could even go as far to say it felt like a sports car. I think if you go drive one you will want one

  13. #12
    Carseat Crazy adamsmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    outside of St Louis
    Posts
    291

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Dh just says the doors are very thin and put together kind of cheap. Other than that, he thinks they are ok. We haven't had any problems with the Touareg at all. Our neeighbor down the street has one also and has not had any problems either. They have had theirs for about 2 years. The VW just feels safe and sturdy.
    Carissa, mommy to Adam 5/19/05 and 53lbs 3'10 riding in a Monterey and GTB And Megan 12/27/07 and 23lbs 33 inches riding rf'ing in a Marathon and Princess Radian in a 09 BMW X5 Diesel and Civic Hybrid. We are officially GREEN

  14. #13
    Carseat Crazy adamsmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    outside of St Louis
    Posts
    291

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Dh hasn't worked on and 07 Acura's yet.
    Carissa, mommy to Adam 5/19/05 and 53lbs 3'10 riding in a Monterey and GTB And Megan 12/27/07 and 23lbs 33 inches riding rf'ing in a Marathon and Princess Radian in a 09 BMW X5 Diesel and Civic Hybrid. We are officially GREEN

  15. #14
    CPS Technician Victorious4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    BrowneSugarRanch
    Posts
    10,712

    Re: Looking at these SUV's - any input???

    Quote Originally Posted by thefosters.2 View Post
    Steph~ To me the MDX definitly feels and drives more like a car then an SUV. Everything was very "tight" making it feel like a car...you could even go as far to say it felt like a sports car. I think if you go drive one you will want one
    Ditto! Excellent turning radius & we got 18-22 MPG on our '05 MDX (I live in a steep hilly area)
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Similar Threads

  1. Need input, please
    By Victorious4 in forum Carseat Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 03:14 PM
  2. Input on the Radian?
    By honeybee03 in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
  3. 3rd row on SUV's
    By Kellyr2 in forum Car and Vehicle Safety
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 11:39 AM
  4. SUV's and rollover risk?
    By Unregistered in forum Car and Vehicle Safety
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 10:47 PM
  5. Reliable, crash-safe minivans/SUV's?
    By Unregistered in forum Car and Vehicle Safety
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 05:41 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •