Looking at these SUV's - any input???

steph

Okay -

I was looking at the Acura RDX and Honda CRV -

I have since added these to my search.....any input would be great (including safety, since some of these have not been rated).

Lexus RX350
Acura MDX
Mazda C9
Volvo C90
Nissan Murano
Honda CRV
Acura RDX

I know I am all over the place on this but I want something safe, reliable, big enough for two carseats and a big enough back/trunk for a stroller. I also want something that will be nice to drive (like the reason I'm not diggin the CRV is because of the 4 cylinder engine with no turbo option like the RDX).

Thanks guys...this is a big decision for me.
:D

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't have any experience with those ... but, I loved my Hybrid Escape :eek: 30-35+ MPG, side curtain airbags & fit 3 Britaxes :) (Actually, my 1st pic below is in that vehicle)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I can offer some info on the 07 MDX since I have been researching it and test drove one this weekend. I drove the sport model which has an active damper suspension which gives it a very sporty feeling drive. It also corners great due to the sport suspension and the SH-AWD which is an all new system no other manufacturer offers right now. It also has a comfort mode you can enable by push button which make gives it a more luxurious feel when you don't want the stiff feel of the sport suspension. The car handled great, had pretty good acceleration, and had a beautiful interior (probably similar to the RDX you drove). If you get the entertainment package (dvd/tv) you get the power tailgate which I have on my current car and it is a huge help when you have little ones! The back cargo area was big enough for a couple strollers (jogger and standard) with plenty of room to spare, when the third row seats are up there is considerably less room...but still enough for an umbrella fold stroller (P3 or the like) and groceries. There are tethers on all rear seating positions and LATCH in all three seats in the middle row. Fitting three across was no problem so it would probably be wide enough for two carseats side by side and a person back there comfortably I would assume. Oh and if you get navi there is a backup camera which is a nice safety feature.
If you have any more specific question I am more then happy to help! Good luck in choosing your next car...it is so fun but sooo hard!

steph

Thanks Danielle-

Right now I am leaning towards the MDX and Lexus RX350...I guess I have to get out there and test drive....ugh I can't stand car sales people. I usually go by myself (to find out what cars I like then bring hubby when I have narrowed it down) and they automatically awesome I am some sort of idiot because I am a woman!!!! Seriously it is such a double standard!!! One guy went into the aesthetic features of the car and I'm like great but can you tell me about the engine, warrantly, service, etc. His mouth dropped to the ground!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh, wups, did you say MDX earlier? I think I only noticed RDX....

My SO had an '05 leather MDX -- I loved it! So comfy, easy to install seats in, sounded good, looked good :rolleyes: Just quite expensive :eek: Although we'd probably have saved $ if he'd just kept that when his lease ran out (right before my fiasco with the horrible local dealership)

adamsmommy

I drive a VW Touareg and LOVE it!!! It is one of the smoothest quiteset SUV's I have ever driven. Than back has alot more room than it looks on the outside. I can fit my stroller and tons of shopping bags back there. I 'think' 3 carseats would actually fit in the back. I did not want one. I was totally dead set on a Acura MDX and dh does not like them an talked me into driving the VW. Love at first drive!!

Dh is a bodyman/painter and does not like the way the MDX is put together.

My VW does have all kinds of safety features including side airbags.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Consumer Reports for January is hitting stands now. It has small SUV reviews, including the RDX and CX-7, among others.

steph

I drive a VW Touareg and LOVE it!!! It is one of the smoothest quiteset SUV's I have ever driven. Than back has alot more room than it looks on the outside. I can fit my stroller and tons of shopping bags back there. I 'think' 3 carseats would actually fit in the back. I did not want one. I was totally dead set on a Acura MDX and dh does not like them an talked me into driving the VW. Love at first drive!!

Dh is a bodyman/painter and does not like the way the MDX is put together.

My VW does have all kinds of safety features including side airbags.

Have you had any problems with the Touareg? I have heard some people have had some reliability issues.

Why doesn't DH like the way the MDX is put together? I know it was redesigned for 2007.

steph

I can offer some info on the 07 MDX since I have been researching it and test drove one this weekend. I drove the sport model which has an active damper suspension which gives it a very sporty feeling drive. It also corners great due to the sport suspension and the SH-AWD which is an all new system no other manufacturer offers right now. It also has a comfort mode you can enable by push button which make gives it a more luxurious feel when you don't want the stiff feel of the sport suspension. The car handled great, had pretty good acceleration, and had a beautiful interior (probably similar to the RDX you drove). If you get the entertainment package (dvd/tv) you get the power tailgate which I have on my current car and it is a huge help when you have little ones! The back cargo area was big enough for a couple strollers (jogger and standard) with plenty of room to spare, when the third row seats are up there is considerably less room...but still enough for an umbrella fold stroller (P3 or the like) and groceries. There are tethers on all rear seating positions and LATCH in all three seats in the middle row. Fitting three across was no problem so it would probably be wide enough for two carseats side by side and a person back there comfortably I would assume. Oh and if you get navi there is a backup camera which is a nice safety feature.
If you have any more specific question I am more then happy to help! Good luck in choosing your next car...it is so fun but sooo hard!

Danielle-

Would you say the MDX drove more like a car or did it feel like driving a truck/big SUV? Just wondering because DH Pilot doesn't have the car feel to it and I was really hoping to get that in a SUV, which is why
I liked the RDX.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Steph~ To me the MDX definitly feels and drives more like a car then an SUV. Everything was very "tight" making it feel like a car...you could even go as far to say it felt like a sports car. I think if you go drive one you will want one :p

adamsmommy

Dh just says the doors are very thin and put together kind of cheap. Other than that, he thinks they are ok. We haven't had any problems with the Touareg at all. Our neeighbor down the street has one also and has not had any problems either. They have had theirs for about 2 years. The VW just feels safe and sturdy.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Steph~ To me the MDX definitly feels and drives more like a car then an SUV. Everything was very "tight" making it feel like a car...you could even go as far to say it felt like a sports car. I think if you go drive one you will want one :p

Ditto! Excellent turning radius & we got 18-22 MPG on our '05 MDX :) (I live in a steep hilly area)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC