Christmas gifts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I'm having a horrible time coming up with ideas for the kids this year, so I thought maybe we could share ideas here. :) (Note, I need to make a list for my mom, a list for MIL, plus figure out what *I* am getting them.)

So far, here's what I've got:

Roman (8.5 years)
Light saber
Clothes
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy for XBox
Ranger Rick magazine

Evalina (6.5 years)
Art supplies
Art books
Your Big Backyard magazine
The Little Mermaid movie
Clothes
Music (which I'll just get from iTunes for her)

Nadia (3.5 years)
Wooden Toy kitchen
Curious George movie
My Little Pony: A Very Minty Christmas (movie)
My Little Pony (toy)
Wild Animal Baby magazine
Toy dishes, pots, pans, etc

Those lists actually seem pretty decent until I start trying to split them up for my mom and MIL. I actually try not to go too overboard with Christmas, and I like the "rule" I read last year: something they want, something they need; something to wear and something to read. In the past, I've tried to have my shopping done before December 1. Obviously, I don't this year, and to top it off, Hubby is working next weekend and out of town the weekend after.

So, hit me with your best ideas and advice, post if you're wallowing in a pit of "OMGosh, Christmas is HOW SOON!?" and I'll try to do the same. ;)

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Crap - presents :eek:

Again (every year since I'd become pregnant, of course) I'm broke for the holidays. I'm relying on my SO to buy our travel tickets to be together & decided to just get Leila more books at the school fair, ice skaing lessons & stocking stuffer sized under $5 toys from Sciencenter. We'll just have a nice breakfast & maybe the week before my SO might be able to to buy us tickets to Mary Poppins on Broadway? *FINGERS CROSSED*

My family might get her the Tinkerbell Bed thingy that hangs over top & drapes around ("like a princess"), kids' board games (Yahtzee|Scrabble|Monopoply Juniors + etc.), American Girl Mini Dolls (Kaya|Josephina|Addy or Felicity's friend), size 12 ice skates, some kids' magazine (I always see it in Pediatrician or Dentist offices)

I used to have it all done by the time my dozen nieces/nephews started school :) but now we just make them all cheap hand crafted decorations to send with her portrait (unframed until she has the skill to make them): all my $ is spent before I even deposit my paychecks *GRRR* I would love, LOVE, love to get her a membership & lessons at the local music & arts school ... she would enjoy that soooooooooo much!!! She's a little broadway fanatic, LOL

I like that gift rule, Ulrike ~ mine has been to simply enjoy what is & remember to give to myself, too :eek: I do the used/antique trinket shops for me (mini dancer pin to decorate my corkboard, fosil mug for my pens at work, money clip with stars, ivory sunflower earings)

skipspin

We don't buy DD (3.3) a ton of presents either. Grandma's (especially MIL) give way to much anyway. This year she is getting a FP3 player, Curious George book collection w/ a CD that reads them, and suff like "princess" cups, hair bows, and inexpensive earings in her stocking from us. The list that I know about from the grandparents is just oo long to list. We decided on the FP3 player because she loves my DH's Sony bean and sometimes we get tired of listening to her songs on longer car trips, like the 3 hours we spend in the car on Sundays. LOL.

didymama

my kids get one gift for each year they are. my 3 year old will most likely get 2 books and 1 other present. my one year old will get something-not sure yet, and the new babe-well that might be in other folks hands-or a nice stuffed animal (he'll only be about 3 weeks old.)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Grandma's (especially MIL) give way to much anyway.
That's nice, though -- not my family :rolleyes: :eek: I actually am not upset about quantity ... it's quality: cheap stocking stuffer toys pale in comparison to a music/dance class (ice skating is the compromise because it's about 1/3 the price) :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
We got ds a train table (not the Thomas one), a couple Thomas and Friends trains to go with it, the movie Cars, a pretend shaving kit and a Thomas game. His stocking will have some magnets, a toothbrush and a puzzle. He is getting another *Thomas* train from my parents and I am not sure what else from everyone else!

I think games puzzles and books are great gifts!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Ulrike, What about a TJ Bearytales by playschool? He is a book bear! Our Walmart had them on for 39.99 and then Superstore (which you don't have in the US) had them on for 29.99 and Walmart matched there price (Walmarts had a bonus bag). They are normally $60-70 here so at that price I got one for ds birthday, or he might get it if he gets Christmas money!

skaterbabs

My boys always have bad cases of "I-want-it-all-except-the-pink-stuff." This year I had them make a list of five items they want more than anything else. Then I had them make a second list of ten items- which cannot include any of the first five. They'll almost certainly get some permutation of the items on the list of five, and possibly something off the list of ten. But they both need new coats, clothes, shoes and hats/mittens. They both like Yugioh cards, so they may get a set "from" Joyjoy.
I've gotten a few things so far for Joyjoy, but her list this year is fairly short, and mostly do-able. (Well, except for the HORSE!:eek: ) She wants a pink bike & pink helmet, a "princess" nightgown, a candy cane. She hasn't asked, but she's completely crazy about the wood kitchen at our local Toys That Teach, so we're going to try to get her that. She needs a new hat and new mittens, and I'd like to get her new earrings. I bought her a princess coloring book and a jump rope with wooden frog handles from Target ($1 bin), two Avon "chpsticks" and a Disney Princess book for the Leap Pad. (The LP was the boys', but it will be their gift to her this year.)

Kellyr2

Espeically for those of you with kids old enough (i did it with my 4 and 6 yr old), make use of the TRU booklets. Then, especially if your family is internet savvy, set up a gift registry. I did ours through myregistry.com. Early in Nov when the TRU big book came out, I had the kids go through and circle the stuff they liked. Then I sat down with each of them and dug through TRU.com and Target.com and some on Walmart.com but there wasn't much there that we hadn't already covered. And I added items to their registry we we went along. I added everything they pointed out, but put in the notes "don't feel obligated to get this..." if it was something I really didn't think they needed or would play with much. But they were sitting right there with me, so the knew if I didn't add it! LOL Then I sent the link to my MIL and my mom. I put a wide range of prices on the list - under $10 stuff on up to $100 stuff. (little did I know that when MIL said she was only doing 3 gifts per person this year, that meant that the toy would need to be around $200! good grief!)
If nothing else, this means that when people call me, if they can't check online, I can just check the registry to remind myself.

drey

Ugh, Christmas!!! Xander is 3 years 9 months, and wants EVERYTHING he sees, when we go to Target. If you ask, he wants trucks, especially firetrucks, construction trucks, and, oh, don't forget the police car and ambulance, too...

We bought him clothes (something to wear), because his 3Ts are ankle-waders and wrist-baring... Also bought him the Cars movie, and kept with the theme - character cars from the movie for stocking stuffers, my first leap pad Cars book, coloring book...

I'm also trying to decide if I want to get him these electronic drumsticks - he loves music, but I'm not sure I'm going to love the drumming, lol! :rolleyes:

No "big" thing this year, I'm saving for a Regent, for when he outgrows his MA... He's on the top slots, with about 1/2 to 2/3 inch to go.

Not sure what the ILs are going to get him, they don't usually ask, or they ask DH, and I never know what he's going to say. :confused:

Dillipop

Dillon, 3 1/2 is getting original lincoln logs, a Thomas bag with books in it and a fleece train blanket made by me. Santa is chipping in ice skates and knee and elbow pads. My parents got him an HO train set of Thomas and my dad is in the process of attaching the tracks to a portable board.

Gilbey, 4 months is getting ???? Probably some toys to chew on. And maybe a blanket made by me. Something to open up, to make Dillon happy!

The in-laws got the kids gifts when we visited in October. Gilbey got an overhead gym type thing, that we are already using. Dillon got winter boots (which he's already wearing) and some musical toys that will be under the tree.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'm done!! (I think)

7 nieces and nephews (ages 9-1)
twin cousins
2 respite kids and a 1 sib (and I'll get something for the new babe in January)

PLUS birthdays that come close after: 12/29, 2/13, and 2/20 (twins)

Nobody's mentioned GAMES - maybe it's just my family that are game freaks. The oldest (9 and soon to be 8) have played Sequence and UNO since they were 3 or 4. We also like UNO attack, Abalone, SKIP-BO, Yahtzee, Rummy Cube, and I bought "Blokus" for the soon to be 8's birthday.

I also didn't see LEGOS/Duploes on anyone's wish list. :eek: How can that be?!?

Usually I hit the Carters/Oshkosh outlet for pj's and discounted clothes for the little ones and Scheels (sporting goods) for clothes with a Nike, Adias, Twins, Cubs, Vikings, etc. label.

Yeah, I'm a shopping nut when it comes to the young relatives, but I enjoy it. I usually shop throughout the year. In fact, I bought many of the clothes at after Christmas sales last year (I just go a size or 2 up from their current size and with 8 girls ages 7-1 to shop for, I'm likely to hit the right size/season for ONE of them).

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
This year I am trying to cut back and do the Something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read. We might end up doing two of each or two of some though. LOL Or add a few of my own.

This is what they are getting from us
Liam 4 yrs
Nintendo DS lite
disney pajamas
Darth Tater mr potatoe head
3 DS games

Hannah 6 yrs
HP digital camera
disney pajamas
Connect four game
2 DS games

Both
New Wii game
Moon Sand
Remote controlled airplane. (DH bought this on his own lol)

I probably won't do something to read, we just got 20 books from book orders so we really don't need any more books, unless I want to buy a new book shelf, they already have three shelves full of books and no where for the new ones we already have to go. LOL

Rachel
cpst

Last edited:

Tara

I still have a bit to do, small things mostly. Our kids don't get much anywho ...

9 yo ds -
skateboard
Bible
*wanting to get a guitar

7 yo ds
scooter
*planning on a race bike (BMX)

5yo ds
scooter
???

3 yo dd
kitchen
food/dishes

10 mo old ds
not a clue as of this moment LOL

Jeanum

Staff member
I finished shopping for my DDs over Thanksgiving. My main problem is remembering where I hid their gifts so I can wrap them up. :eek:

My oldest is also getting the Little Mermaid DVD, a Leapster and some cartridges (including the Cars one, she and I both loved Cars, lol), a Fur Real dog, a couple of outfits, a Fisher Price Star Station, and some books and coloring books. Part of the above are actually for her Dec. birthday, I just have to figure out which gifts are for which purpose. MIL is supposed to be getting her a Joovy doll carseat (if MIL managed to find one for her), Aquadoodles and maybe a doll.

DD2 is getting a Little Touch Leap Pad and the Mr. Brown Can Moo Little Touch book, clothes, and books. I have no idea what MIL has in mind for DD2, nor what my parents are doing for either child. My mom is very big on books, so I'm sure more books will be in the mix.

I also lucked out and got an Elmo TMX from TRU online back in Sept. when they first came out, and gave it to my DDs early. The novelty has worn off a bit, but they do play with Elmo often. He sounds a bit drunk right now, slurring his words, a sure sign he needs new batteries, lol. My youngest liked playing with the box Elmo came in more than the Elmo doll at first. :) The box is really pretty cute and has its own little built-in surprise feature. Too bad DD2 destroyed the box after playing with it so much.

ccjones

Like alot of you, my family goes WAY overboard on gifts for my son. So, I convinced DH that we should get him a kitchen! We picked up the Step2 Lifestyle Dream Kitchen at TRU a few months ago when it was on sale, and I had a 20% coupon! I doubt my son will "get" what to do with all the kitchen stuff just yet, but *I* plan on having fun playing with it myself! LOL Other than that, we just got him some books that have to do with cars, trucks, trains, and heavy equipment.

As an aside, have any of you ever SEEN the kitchens that Step2 sells? You HAVE to check out this one, the Lifestyle Grand Walk-In kitchen. DH and saw that and told me "NO WAY" before I could say anything! LOL

RubysGirl

My son who is almost two is getting a coloring book and two chevron cars from us. We bought him some playsilks, but we gave them to him early.

My mother bought him some clothes, a haba cash register, and some wooden eggs.

I'm hoping my dad gets him a stokke chair-this would be a combo birthday/christmas gift.

I might get him that joovy seat, but I'm thinking not. My main motivation was that we were expecting, but now we're not so I don't think he'll really play with it without a younger sibling to mimmic. I think I may get him the last eight stockmar crayons, the colors we don't have, but I haven't decided, he may just get toothpaste and a new toothbrush in his stocking, no crayons.

UlrikeDG

MEMBERSHIPS!

OMGosh, I almost forgot to ask them to renew the memberships we got last year: zoo & science center.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I like using crates or large totes for sorting books by genre/author/etc.
We have book shelves that are full & I just rotate the ones that go in the crates & totes....

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I like using crates or large totes for sorting books by genre/author/etc.
We have book shelves that are full & I just rotate the ones that go in the crates & totes....

That is a good idea! It is also time to get rid of the board books I guess. LOL My youngest is 4. That is one whole shelf right there.

I should have a seperate place for all the books Hannah can read herself, I used to keep them in a little tote bag but that was when it was the BOB books and they fit, now she is way past that stage. I hate getting rid of books though. Maybe we will donate them to the church.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC